St Patricks Day

by BlackSwan of Memphis 59 Replies latest jw friends

• juni
    juni

I'm sorry BW; I remember now w/my leaky brain cells you mentioning your Welsh background. Even your name - is that Irish?

ooooo I can appreciate the itchy wool. Argh...............

peace my friend,

Juni

What site did u go to find the tartan for the clan? My mother in law's side is pure Irish. I'd love to find their tartan. Last name Mullen. Thanks big guy.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "...watching (finally) our dvd Waking Ned Divine."

OMG!!! You will totally enjoy that movie! I have it, and watched it with my wife (who at the time was still my girlfriend). She got a kick out of it, too.

Should I say that you should be prepared for a bit of nudity? (*tongue in cheek*)

I think that everyone should watch this movie. I never heard of it before I rented it (long ago), and liked it so much that I bought it on DVD when I spotted it at Wal-Mart. Definitely a keeper.

Regards,

Jim TX

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ohhh I've seen it already. I'm like you. I saw it, loved it, it is one of my all time favorite movies!!!

So we bought it on dvd, but to make a long story short, we haven't had a dvd compatible tv to use our dvd player in a while.

BUT My hubby is going to take care of that.

So we're going to pop our guinness' and pop in the movie and laugh!

It is Such a funny movie!

Good to know we have the same taste in movies James!!

Regards

Blackswan

• bigwilly
    bigwilly

Juni, I looked around (google) and can't find a tartan for Mullen. I believe that the tartans are clan specific and your family name may be listed under a different clan name. You'd have to find out what it was to find your plaid.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Jeff--It is kinda like the northeast's answer to Mardi Gras here.

xjw4ever-Wow, that was interesting. My city is known for having one of the biggest St. Pat's parades. People come from all over to attend (proving people are gullible). More on that in a minute. Anyway I have not heard that version of why orange is worn. Here we have a long history of Irish immigrants vs. Italian. The Italians say wearing orange on St. Pat's is a sign you are Italian and hate Irish people. We are the home of the upside-down traffic light where the green is on top of the amber in one of our Irish neighborhoods, because the Irish kept breaking the regular light (or so goes the story). (Now you know where I live I guess.)

I really know very little about the Irish culture because the celebration here, although huge, is all about reaching the goal of alcohol poisoning by the end of the weekend.

I used to go but can't take the puking all over, peeing on the bar floors, etc. The bagpipers march through the bars after the parade but no one pays attention because they're too busy drinking and yelling (and yes, actually peeing on the floor and puking on the sidewalks--such fun). People throw their garbage all over. It's very sad.

I find it insulting to reduce an entire culture to a frat party on crack where everyone is wearing green sequined items from the Dollar Store. There's gotta be a little more to the culture of an entire country than that.

I really wish there was something fun to do on St. Pat's Day.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate
    This seems like such a fun holiday - what is it really about?

The "official" version:

http://www.irishabroad.com/stpatrick/

The "traditional" version:

http://www.davidsanger.com/images/ireland/4-751-85.guinness.y.jpg

St. Patrick's Day - March 17

The patron saint of Ireland, St. Patrick drove the snakes out of the Emerald Isle, and banished all vestiges of sobriety from the rest of the Western World.

Patrick spread the Christian faith in the British Isles, and now spreads good cheer on March 17th...the day he died in 460 A.D.

On this very secular religious holiday, Irishmen of all ethnicities celebrate by consuming vast quantities of Guinness, Harp, and anything else in a glass or bottle. It is said that even NASCAR bars serve green beer on St. Patrick's Day.

BA- Celebrates the "traditional" way.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    I really wish there was something fun to do on St. Pat's Day.

Ya know, I am not one for huge parties myself. I like a quiet gathering of friends with good food and good drink. If I have the people I love round me, or well, at least like, and if I have a fairly decent pizza or well, in this case, corned beef, its fun and worth it.

Here's hoping you at least have love and food for St Pats

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

I'll be celebrating the traditional way This year, Paddy's Day coincides with the last day of the Six Nations, which Ireland actually have a chance of winning, so I'll also be watching a lot of rugby (three matches)! It'll be tough but lucky for me, it's a long weekend

• rebel8
    rebel8

"Here's hoping you at least have love and food for St Pats "

Thanks! I'm betting I will. 5 years before 3/17 is the day I met Mr. Rebel8. (Despite how much we don't enjoy the vomitorium, we both happened to be at the parade--single and super bored that day--that's how we met, in the midst of the Syracusans Gone Wild.)

I have never seen rugby. I'm gonna check to see if I can get it on my tv.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I'll be downing a pint or two of the dark stuff, with friends

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit