Thoughts on the public prayer of Witnesses

by SirNose586 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

Many years ago, a brother gave a public talk on prayer wherein he stated that "each prayer should be like a snowflake--no two should be exactly the same." I agreed with his sentiments, and as a good little JW boy, I resolved that each prayer I said to God would be unique. However, there was a problem with my resolution: I could never see examples of older people making sure that each prayer was unique. Therefore I could see no reason to do this in my own life. My silent mealtime prayer went exactly like this:

"Dear heavenly father Jehovah, please help me to eat all this food, and please help me to be good. InthenameofyoursonChristJesus, amen."

I saw no need to change. Certainly all my food was being consumed, and I hadn't gotten in any lasting trouble, so as far as I could tell, this simple prayer would do. Besides, the "3 second grace" gave me the jump on all my family members who had decided to say silent sermons while I could commence eating.

A year or so ago, my sister came forward to the elders and admitted something, so she was put on Private Reproof TM . At that time, the elders would come by at least three times a month, usually after Sunday meeting, on Shepherding Calls TM for her. Dad, mom and myself had to clear out of the house because it was going to be an emotionally draining experience for my sister.

Because of the elders' counsel, I started to notice something different about her silent prayers. Suddenly they were long--perhaps 2 or 3 minutes long. I can vividly remember eating out in public, and watching her head bowed for such a comparatively long time. Four or five mouthfuls would be chewed and gone for me before she would start eating. It was midly embarrassing to the family. We couldn't start talking because she was praying, but it would be rude to interrupt her train of thought if that's what needs to do to get Spiritually Sound TM again. I considered abandoning my "3 second grace" so I could be as spiritual as she obviously was during mealtimes. When she was off reproof, she gave no more silent sermons. This made me wonder, What could you say when you pray that long? This led me to take notice of what brothers would say in their prayers.

There are a few archetypes I have noticed:

"Mr. Miserable"

My dad fits this type. Every mealtime prayer reflects on how tired everyone is, how much we suffer, how much we needed help, and how sinful we were. I wished he could just get the depressing thing over with so we could eat!

"The Warrior of Jah"

The service overseer in the hall will NEVER say a prayer at meetings without mentioning how everyone's attendance handed "a defeat for Satan," and how "he really didn't want us to be here tonight." His prayers are quite long I have noticed that this man's pioneer family has an unusual fixation with Satan and deemuns. For that reason, if they can mention Satan in their comments, they will do so.

"I the Slave"

The PO will wax on and on about how great the slave is, and how loving the organization is. He is an ex-Bethelite. If there were a statue of "The Slave," he would probably kneel to it.

What kind of archetypes, or tendencies, did you guys remember about the public prayers?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I notice that most CO's avoid saying the public prayers at the meeting during their visit
    until after the Sunday meeting. They call elders up to the platform after the other meetings.

This way, they can really go on-and-on in that last prayer before they leave. They can
    mention specific sickly people, making it appear that they cared and were concerned, they
    can include requests for the congregation's areas of weakness, and commend the
    brothers and sisters. They can guilt them into doing more during the prayer.

I always remember to hold on to a chair when the assembly prayers start at the end of the
    program. They try to summarize the Bethelites or District Overseer's points. I think I have
    been there for several that went past 10 minutes. You get a real heart-felt "amen" to
    that kind of prayer.

• jambon1
    jambon1

People recounting the entire school/svs meeting content, blow, by boring blow. Very long and unnecessary really. One guy used to review all the parts and add bits in that he felt hadnt been covered. All, in all, religion is just full of obnoxious, sanctimonious bull $hiters!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I posted a comment about a bizarre public talk where the guy used 40 out of 45 minutes
    to brag about being so spiritual, serving where the need is great, vacation pioneering,
    supporting a full-time pioneer in the family, etc.

His prayer at the end of the meeting was a re-hash of the important points from his own talk,
    then a request that the brothers and sisters could apply them (not saying, but insinuating that
    we needed to be more like him).

If you recall, I said "He was never invited back."

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

I posted a comment about a bizarre public talk where the guy used 40 out of 45 minutes
    to brag about being so spiritual, serving where the need is great, vacation pioneering,
    supporting a full-time pioneer in the family, etc.

His prayer at the end of the meeting was a re-hash of the important points from his own talk,
    then a request that the brothers and sisters could apply them (not saying, but insinuating that
    we needed to be more like him).

If you recall, I said "He was never invited back."

Obviously, this man did not read his Bible much:

9 To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: 10 “Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood up and prayed about* himself: ‘God, I thank you that I am not like other men–robbers, evildoers, adulterers–or even like this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.’ --Luke 18:9-12, NIV
    And yes, I always dreaded the ending prayers of the CO's visit and the District Assemblies. Those things would be seven minutes long. If they were going to pray for that long, they should at least afford everyone the comfort of sitting down first!

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Alot of the prayers were more like sermons..Some just liked to hear the sound of thier own voice as it rattled around thier empty scull..LOL!!...OUTLAW

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

One elder rambled on and on about the condition of a sick sister in the congregation. From what I recall in gist...

"Jehovah, as you know sister XXXXX is sick in her condition. She is now preparing to make the travel arrangements to a facility that will take care of her needs. It will be expensive for her and besides that, her husband is an unbeliever, so we pray that you will give her the strength for a quick recovery and that her spirit will always be lifted and positive. We appreciated her service in this congregation. This sickness must be hard for her and the family, so let us be there for them. And as you know Jehovah, this makes us sad because that our dear sister is sick and we miss her at the meetings. This time is very stressful for her and she has to deal with many injustices in Satan's world, so she needs relief.............."

I'm not condemning prayers for those that are sick, but this elder MUST HAVE WANTED to seem compassionate in front of others. From my observation, this elder was never seen talking with her before. But now that she is sick and need of an operation, it seemed to me that this was for his time to shine in her misery. Most of the points he mentioned was already known by those close to her, and probably related to him by these other friends instead of his initiative of being by her as a supportive shepherd.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Mr. Kim
    Mr. Kim

The true, deeper things of GOD are hidden from the haughty and self-absorbed ones. Only the humble and simple ones will survive.

Thus, you see, those that lead also bleed........

• Cellist
    Cellist

The prayers at conventions and assemblies always annoyed me. They always wound up sounding like they were trying to counsel god.

Cellist

• greendawn
    greendawn

Their prayers were very repetitive and unimaginative, some elders liked making their prayers very long. Since there was an anointed member in the congo with decades of loyal service to the org I always wondered why he was never ever called to make a prayer as he was supposedly also part of the FDS and above the non anointed and much younger elders.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit