Thoughts on the public prayer of Witnesses

by SirNose586 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RubyStevens
    RubyStevens

Oh man, the final prayer at the DC, kind of like how in a slasher movie you think the killer is dead only to be suprised in the last five minutes. You were drained from an entire boring day with no drama, about to walk into the cool cement hallways of the convention center in your itchy dress, then boom, shifting uncomfortably for five or six minutes while blah blah blah, more service hours, blah blah more pioneers, blah blah, Jehovah is coming annnnnnny minute, blah blah amen. As for the types I've known my mother is no longer a JW but she goes to church, and the only bad thing about going to her house for a meal is that she is the most depression inducing prayer giver ever. It makes me angry at a God I don't believe in seeing her begging for him not to have forgotten this earth, his promise, and she doesn't understand why he's waiting so long. She's better than that. Fuck him.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

JW public prayers aren't so much a prayer, as a little public talk to review the program of the meeting. It is really directed to the audience, not god.

I remember having to sit through a few particularly mournful dronings at district conventions where one of the anointedâ„¢ would give a concluding prayer that would go on for over 10 minutes. Sometimes people would say 'Amen' half way through, hoping it was over.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586
    It makes me angry at a God I don't believe in seeing her begging for him not to have forgotten this earth, his promise, and she doesn't understand why he's waiting so long. She's better than that. Fuck him.

Hey, years and years of hearing how you're just a good for nothing slave, and you need to do more, will undoubtedly put you in a low state. Then you hear about how close the end is supposed to be, and the result is prayers like these.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

JW public prayers aren't so much a prayer, as a little public talk to review the program of the meeting. It is really directed to the audience, not god.

Exactly!! I recall many instances where this would apply in the prayers I have heard! Since when is a prayer supposed to be used as a guilt trip?

MY next biggest peeve was the prayers where the brother...ANY brother at any function... would feel the need to keep repeating "Jehovah this and Jehovah that" over and over and over...

it was like a mantra, as if he would get brownie points for the amount of times he said "the name" every third sentence, as if we had never heard it before! Sometimes it got to be embarassing at public parks for picnics and at funerals where there were a lot of nonJW family in attendance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit