Do you still believe that you have a chance of living eternally?

by JH 26 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    BA- We’ll know when we get there.

Yes, I will add "or we won't."

Life is not about a destination at the end of the journey.
    Life is about the journey. Enjoy the ride.

• RubyStevens
    RubyStevens

So much of organized religion, worship, and seeking god can be catagorized by a fear of death. We're scared to die, and we're even more scared that there might be nothing more after that. As for me, I believe this is all I've got so it's my responsibility to make the most of it, to help others, and to happy not in selfishness or at the expense of others. I am scared to die, but now I fee joing a church or professing a belief in god would be dishonest, because I would only be doing so out of fear of dying, or going to hell for not believing in God.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

The way I'v been told is that I have a 50% chance of not dieing. This is base on the assumption that 50% of the people that have ever lived are alive right now. So that means only 50% of people die. I remember reading this in a watchtower.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I have become very comfortable with not knowing. I imagine that this is it, because it's pretty clear that whatever is going on in the universe, humans aren't central to it. But also, we don't really know what the whole picture is as far as what is going on in the universe. So why worry about it? Crumpet is right - live the life we have now - try not to hurt other people while you do it.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

I think we all live eternally regardless of what some silly book or silly organization says. I've touched and been touched by many people. We all have. We're all a part of this and we all have our own little part to play.

• purplesofa
    purplesofa

I could tell you but then I would have to kill you

• parakeet
    parakeet

"At any given moment, I open my eyes and exist. And before that, during all eternity, what was there? Nothing."

---Zen proverb

• prophecor
    prophecor

Seems an inordinate waste of time and of space, God's and ours to just think that this life is all there is. Why even come here in the first place? We are the only species given the capacity for intellegent thought. We as animals are the closest thing to being God-like, in the form and fashion of God,

"Let us make man according to our likeness" We are animals who've been given a window into the creation that other animals could never in thier wildest dreams conceptualise. We are God-like and can be allowed to be here forever. I will always believe that God has more in store for man than just these few brief days that we pass upon this planet.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It depends atheists do not for a moment believe in life after death however uncomfortable it may be, they prefer to be realistic (as they see it) and believe that everything ends for eternity upon death.

As for me I have never yet been able to figure out whether there is life going on from right after death or not, the Biblical record is not clear on the issue it is ambivalent. In any case death is not the final end since there will be a resurrection at some unknown future date. There may or may not be a period of non existence from death to resurrection whether at the first one of the saints or the later second one of the rest of mankind.

• LynnA
    LynnA

There is an excellent tune by a folkie named Iris DeMent which speaks my feelings on the subject with simple eloquence. Here is the lyric:

Let the Mystery Be

Everybody's wonderin' what and where they they all came from
    everybody's worryin' 'bout where they're gonna go
    when the whole thing's done
    but no one knows for certain
    and so it's all the same to me
    I think I'll just let the mystery be

Some say once you're gone you're gone forever
    and some say you're gonna come back
    Some say you rest in the arms of the Saviour
    if in sinful ways you lack
    Some say that they're comin' back in a garden