Circuit Overseer's Cars - Anybody got the answers?

by The Searcher 33 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

ATLANTIS provided a UK Branch letter regarding a £3 levy per publisher to pay for the Britain Branch C.O.s 85 new cars. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/126700001/2-new-boes-watchtower-begging-money-volunteers

With approximately 120,000 publishers in the UK, that will rake in £360,000.

However, divided by 85, this only equates to £4235 per car!! And as far as I'm aware, the C.O.s use the cars for 4 years.

I neither believe the Org can purchase cars at that price, nor do I believe that they will heavily subsidise the Circuit cars.

My question: is the £3 publisher "tax" a yearly commitment for the duration of the car's usage, rather than a one-off?

p.s. When the cars are sold off after 4 years, the proceeds DON'T go back to the Circuits who actually PAID for the cars, the cash is claimed by the Branch, rather than being used to finance the new cars. (as far as I've been led to believe!)

• fastJehu
    fastJehu
    Looking ahead to the need to replace older vehicles in the coming year...

I think, they don't replace "all" cars in the coming year, only some "older vehicles".

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

In the US, this is an annual "donation" that is automatically paid by every congregation every year. Here is supports the purchase of their vehicles and their health-care costs (since we have no socialized medical care).

Doc

• hoser
    hoser
    As far as I know this levy is on an annual basis. I assume they get a fleet discount and they usually sell these back to individual publishers. As new vehicles maintenance costs are low and each congregation pays the fuel costs at the end of the co visit
  • The Searcher
    The Searcher

Thanks all - my suspicions are confirmed.

Now, if anyone is good at maths, how much will the Britain Branch cream off when the cars are sold?

I reckon each car will go for approximately £4k - £5k, so that's about £340k - £425k.

That's a nice bit of cream!

Not counting the discounts on the purchase price of 85 cars - at least £2k each?

• hoser
    hoser
    I don't know what cars cost in the UK
  • _Morpheus
    _Morpheus
    In addition here in the usa the care are sold when the branch is done with them. There was a screen shot posted a few years ago of the advertisment on the elders side of jw borg
  • Phizzy
    Phizzy

I'm not sure about the maths, but I am pretty confident that the WT/JW SuperScam posing as a religion, will be making sure they at least make a small profit from this, yet another, "con" perpetrated on the R&F.

What I do know is that in our Circuit, from time to time, Circuit cars came up for sale, and they always went to gullible JW's for much more than an identical model from the local Car Auction.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Tell the COs to start making tents or something and pay their own damn bills! - Acts 18:3
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette

Phizzy: What I do know is that in our Circuit, from time to time, Circuit cars came up for sale, and they always went to gullible JW's for much more than an identical model from the local Car Auction.

This is true in the US as well. About 10-ish years ago, when I was still drinking the Kool-aid, I looked into buying a used car that had previously been used by a CO. All congregations in the United States received a letter about it, misleadingly saying "what a good deal" these cars would be. They directed us to a website that had a variety of cars used by COs across the country. They were all 20-30% over Kelley Blue-book. Every one of them!

That was actually one of the many things that got me to start waking up and realize that this "religion" is a scam. Instead of giving "the brothers" a good deal, they were ripping them off.

I went out and bought a previously leased and very gently, used BMW 5 series instead. It cost a lot less money, drove way better than some bland Buick and was frankly just a whole hell of a lot cooler car.

Let's review: It's a cult!

-

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit