A Question for Underground Apostates, How Many Are There?

by Village Idiot 58 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Socrateswannabe
    Socrateswannabe

1. Still in for family but mentally out

2. No one in my congregation is overtly challenging JW beliefs, but many are zombies and seem to be going through the motions. That could be for any number of reasons and not necessarily because they've learned TTAT.

3. I have heard of a few people that I knew when I was younger who have joined other religions and I know of one who even started his own church. But I know of no one in my current congregation who seems so inclined.

• cookiemaster
    cookiemaster
    I've been mentally out for over 3 years now. I submit about 1-2 hours of service every month to keep up appearances and everyone leaves me alone. I haven't been to a meeting since October. In my current congregation there are about 40 pubs and I think I'm the only one mentally out. There was this daughter of an elder who used to come to meetings, but never baptized and now is dating a worldly guy, so she's definitely out. In my old congo of about 100 pubs, my best friend was also mentally out. I knew most young ones really well, so I knew for certain he and I were the only ones. I knew another guys from a neighboring congo who was also mentally about. So, in my experience, it's 1-2 on average that are still in and mentally out. At over 100k congos in the world, it should be something like 150 k undercover apostates.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

stuckinarut2 - "I reckon there are plenty of people in the org who don't buy in completely to the witness mindset or teachings...but as to whether they see the complete TTATT, is another matter. Also, whether they would be classed as "apostate" is another step too...do they openly speak about the garbage, or influence others, or share thoughts on forums like this?

The degree of not buying in completely / knowing the TATT / openly speaking or influencing others / sharing on forums is actually kind of academic.

As far as the WTS is concerned, it all qualifies as "apostasy" equally.

Hell; most of us here were technically "apostates" before we even realized it.

x

As so the OP, I suspect there are way more closet "apostates" than even we suspect.

Why?

Because of the steadily increasing levels of apostate-related paranoia and propaganda that's constantly force-fed to congregations across the planet on a daily basis.

They wouldn't be so obviously losing their shit for no good reason.

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe
    Because of the steadily increasing levels of apostate-related paranoia and propaganda that's constantly force-fed to congregations across the planet on a daily basis.

Has there been much of an increase? To me it seems about the same as ever.

• tidalblitz
    tidalblitz
    I've been mentally out probably for well over 5 years, but only learned TTATT about 2 years ago. I'm still in but have been out in fs only once since 2011. I still regularly put down a few hours and mag placements every month.. just because I can. My wife is very much in but needs me to be gungho to be gungho herself. We have sort of an uneasy balance right now. We both go to meetings but are irregular, about 50% I'd say. I guess I am what jwland would call apostate but I just don't want to lose my family and live a lie at the same time. As long as people leave me alone, I'm fine right where I am.
  • My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence
    I am still in and I suspect that there are more witnesses that know TTATT than you may think. Just image how many witnesses would leave if there were no repercussions. 10%? 20%? More?
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

Still living the lie. Mentally out since the second half of 2012 but struggling to make a full break as I cannot convince my wife on TTATT. I do not want to get DF/DA'ed as that would strain the wider family ties too much.

I wish I knew some other closet apostates locally that I could share thoughts with. I've met up with a couple of people from here which has been great.

@konceptual99:

What part of the world do you live in?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    South East UK. Not too far from our local uber apostates cantleave and nugget.

@konceptual99:

I'm in the Midwestern part of the U.S. where we just had the coldest February on record.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit