Does the GB believe the doctrine themselves?

by GBSJG 22 Replies latest watchtower bible

• GBSJG
    GBSJG

After reading Crisis of Conscience I got the impression that most on the GB actually believe all the doctrine themselves or at least that they believe that they are doing there best and God is helping/blessing them.

This sometimes seems unbelievable to me considering that they know about all the bad things in the org and see so many problems that the rank file normally does not notice or know about.

I'm currently reading Combatting Cult Mind Control by Steve Hassan. When reading that book I can see that there are some cults that are far worse then the JWs. But on the other hand about 70% of the tactics described in that book are used by the GB. Is this pure coincidence? I sometimes wonder if they have also read the book...

What do you think do they believe it themselves? Or are they deliberatly using mind control tactics on the rank and file?

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

I'm sure that they all once did.......when they were baptized.

Now I bet they don't completely believe and they aren't going to tell anyone either.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• Zico
    Zico

I don't know about all the doctrines, but I think they still believe the Society is God's Organisation. 'Captives of a Concept' I think this is the biggest mystery facing ex-JWs, do the leaders believe it? I've wondered about it myself often, and I really don't know. Though, like all JWs, the GB have to conform, not so much in their private meetings, but outside they have to. Ray got kicked out for not doing so. And if they kicked out, they lose their livelihoods. They live by the fear that they themselves create.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Alligator Wisdom and Zico call it correctly, IMO.

I am kind of foggy on how a cult develops. Does the leader (in this case, I would say Rutherford)
    consult the handy "How to" book on cults? I don't think so. Yet, the WTS is a full-blown cult.
    They apply most of the recipe for successful cults. My thought is that this is a natural developement
    of trying to take total control over a people. You have to control the same elements that any other
    cult would control, so your methods of arriving at them may differ, but you get to the same place.

Weaving it back into the thread, many leaders have believed the doctrine. If they later doubted it,
    they saw the power it wields, and the position it gives them, so they can't let go.
    They vote to change the doctrine, only to perpetuate the cult.

• 5go
    5go
    But on the other hand about 70% of the tactics described in that book are used by the GB. Is this pure coincidence? I sometimes wonder if they have also read the book...

I would say it is. No one wants to be in a cult they just happen.

• M.J.
    M.J.
    I sometimes wonder if they have also read the book...

Interestingly, some of the WTS writers have read, Age of Propaganda: The Everyday Use and Abuse of Pursuasion. I happen to have this book. The WTS quotes the book in the following article: http://www.watchtower.org/library/g/2000/6/22/article_01.htm

This article, posted on the Watchtower website, was taken from the 6/22, 2000 Awake!, p. 3.

Here is a quote of their quote:

"Every day we are bombarded with one persuasive communication after another," point out researchers Anthony Pratkanis and Elliot Aronson. "These appeals persuade not through the give-and-take of argument and debate, but through the manipulation of symbols and of our most basic human emotions. For better or worse, ours is an age of propaganda."

Predictably, they did not cite their reference. It is very very interesting that they have read this book, considering the material it covers.

Chapter 35 of the book is titled, "How To Become a Cult Leader"!

Here's a quote from that chapter. READ THIS!!:

Athough they may seem mysterious, the pursuasion tactics of cults are nothing more or less than the same basic propaganda tactics we have seen throughout this book. Cults simply use these techniques in a much more systematic and complete manner than we are accustomed to. Simply because the end result is dramatic and bizarre does not require that the means to get there be mystifying. Indeed, in case any of you would like to be a cult leader, we can list seven mundane but nonetheless "proven-effective" tactics for creating and maintaining a cult.

1. Create you own social reality. The first step in creating a cult is to construct your own social reality by eliminating all sources of information other than that provided by the cult...Such censorship can be physical, that is, forcibly excluding outsiders and physically restarining wayward members. However, it is much more practical to teach members self-censorship by labeling everything that is not "of the cult" as "of the devil."

The second step in constructing a social reality is to provide a cult's-eye view of the world. This picture of the world is then used by members to interpret all events and happenings... [goes on to describe several examples of doomsday outlooks imprinted by various cults]...

To get a real feel for the full power of a cult, imagine adopting their beliefs for just a moment. Try seeing the world as if you were a cult member. In a bizarre way, the world makes sense, perhaps for the first time in a cult member's life.

One useful technique for constructing social reality is to create your own language and jargon...
    ...By teaching a battery of cliches such as "bourgois mentality," "Krishna consciousness," "of the world", and "in the Lord" any event is quickly defined as good or evil and critical thinking is abruptly terminated.

When it comes to teaching your social reality, here is one additional point to keep in mind: Repeat your message over and over and over again. Repetition makes the heart grow fonder, and fiction, if heard frequently enough, can come to sound like fact.

2. Create a grandfalloon. The grandfalloon technique requires the creation of an in-group of followers and out out-group of the un-redeemed. The technique allows you to control members by constantly reminding them, “If you want to be a chosen, then you must act like a chosen one. If you are not chosen, then you are wicked and unredeemed. To be saved, you must act like you are supposed to act.”…

…The essential ingredient in establishing an in-group of believers is the creation of a social identity—an image of who “we” are. Joining a cult represents a break from the “other” world and the acceptance of this new identity. Many cults require a “baptism” or other initiation to indicate acceptance of this new identity. A new name can be given…

The outward trappings of the believer—the new name, distinctive garb, a special diet—all confirm that the member is indeed a chosen one. To retain this valued membership, all one needs to do is continue to grow in this newfound life and, of course, continue to obey.

The reverse side of the grandfalloon tactic is the creation of an out-group hate…The creation of an evil out-group serves the dual purpose of making members feel good about belonging to the group (“I’m glad I’m not like them”) and increasing their fears about leaving the group (“I don’t want to be like them”).

If grandfalloon techniques are correctly applied, then you should be successful in creating fear of the “outside” world and the belief that the cult is the only solution to a happy life. Life is thus impossible outside the cult—the only solution to life’s problems.

3. Create commitment through dissonance reduction. Cults can insure members’ obedience by establishing a spiral of escalating commitment; the cult member, at first, agrees to simple requests that become increasingly more demanding…

…Note also that the member, after having done all these things, is faced with a dilemma: “How can I explain all I have done to those outside the group?” This requires the creation of a sensible, coherent justification that is not easily forthcoming. The rationalization trap is sprung.

4. Establish the leader’s credibility and attractiveness. Most cults have leader myths…[examples of leader myths given]...

What is the purpose of such myths? It is hard to disobey a person believed to be “the son of God” or, at least, blessed by a divine purpose. Anybody in their right mind should seek to identify and be like a holy person.

5. Send members out to proselytize the unredeemed. Witnessing to the unconverted has the obvious advantage of bringing in new members. Perhaps just as important, proselytizing can ensure that members are constantly engaged in self-sell, or self-generated pursuasion. The act of witnessing requires the member to state anew to many different people the positive advantages of being in a cult. In arguing to convince others, members convince themselves. Evangelical activity also strengthens resolve. Each witness is likely to elicity many negative responses or an attack on the cult. In defending their beliefs, cult members learn to refute a wide range of attacks, thus inoculating themselves against counterarguments and thereby maintaining belief in the cult.

6. Distract members from thinking “undesireable” thoughts. Most cult doctrines are hard to take seriously, much less accept...

…Once the recruit has accepted the cult, the task becomes one of preventing further close scrutiny and thought about the merits of membership. This can be done by teaching that any “disagreeable thought” is evil and from the devil. For example, if a member doubts a leader’s command or starts to wonder about the merits of a particular theological point, he or she is counseled that this is “out of the Lord” or “from Satan” and should be rebuked…

7. Fixate members’ vision on a phantom. The successful cult leader is always dangling a notion of the promised land and a vision of a better world before the faithful…

By fixating a member’s gaze on a future phantom, you provide a powerful incentive to maintain service to the group. Believers will be afraid to stop working, fearful that they or the world may lose the desired prize if they take even just one break. The average Moonie puts in an estimated sixty-seven hours a week working for the cause…Phantoms can establish hope—a powerful motivator of human behavior—by providing a sense of purpose and mission….

Could anyone NOT see the similarities?

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle
    My thought is that this is a natural developement
    of trying to take total control over a people. You have to control the same elements that any other
    cult would control, so your methods of arriving at them may differ, but you get to the same place.

I agree.

When members talk to ex-members, they tend to leave.

So therefore talking to ex-members becomes forbidden and demonized.

And so forth with all the other rules.

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

The GB has access to all the information that comes into the Society. They know that they have problems, and they know what secular sources say that disproves much of their doctrinal stuff. They just "keep-on-keeping-on" because there is not much that can be done and they live very well off of it now. The Society will slowly change things and morph into modified doctrines in the future. They have to. They are losing membership on a steady basis in the western world. Something has to give.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I think they are so haughty and arrogant that they refuse to believe anything that "isn't invented here" unless it suits their preconceived conclusions.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Does the GB believe the doctrine themselves?

If they read JWD, they wont for long.

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit