Are kids getting stupider?

by roflcopter 24 Replies latest jw friends

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

duh

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy

I'm not a young person, but I am in college with many who are just out of high school. Intelligence does not seem any different than when I was their age. Many do have an "entitlement" type of mindset though (if that is the right word). I don't think lazy covers it properly - lazy doesn't always cary the thought that a person doesn't want to work and at the same time feels that they deserve stuff. Many kids just feel that the world owes them everything, so I pick the word "entitlement".

Anyway, many here might be surprised to see just how smart these kids can be when they choose to let it show. I see it a lot in my computer networking classes. Kids who can easily calculate binary numbers to do subnet masks for networks in their heads, for example.

Quick what's 11100000 in decimal?

How about 01010001?

Did you have to think about it? Do you even know how to arrive at the answer? These kids that I am in school with could answer each conversion question in just seconds. And thats just basic networking stuff.

Sometimes the kids really surprise me. Don't give up on 'em just yet.

• 5go
    5go

Whatever happened to mental arithmetic?

$20.10 - $10.09 = $10.01

41 x 41 = 1681

What ever happened to hobbies I have held amateur radio licence since age 10. I haven't used for the hobby though it did help me get some jobs in tech fields. I at least I knew ohm's law IR = V as well as soldering. Not only that but I showed an abilty to learn new thing easy like fiber optics equiment instalation.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Kids have become more lazy and when it comes to playing their parents and authority figures they have become much smarter in knowing what to say and do to get their own way.

Don't underestimate them, they have seen plenty on TV to train them in know what they are doing and to whom.

abr

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

More fodder for discussion:

Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner has identified seven types of intelligences in children. It gives fresh and deeper meaning to ‘smart.’:

What parent doesn’t want a smarter child?

Right, nobody raising their hands out there in cyberspace. But the next set of questions is where a Great Divide of Parenting comes into full frame. Smarter in what way? Just who is defining smart? Does this mean my kid will do better on academic tests? What’s the value of being smart if we aren’t teaching values such as kindness or honesty?

Harvard psychologist Howard Gardner rides the ridge of that great divide. He is widely known as the creator of multiple-intelligence theory for children. Gardner has identified seven distinct types of intelligence (think learning styles). It is estimated by researchers that only three of Gardner’s seven types are actually evaluated on traditional IQ tests.

We’ll get to the seven intelligence types below. First, consider these insights from Gardner as he refers to his own children, in his book, Intelligence Reframed:

“I want my children to understand the world, but not just because the world is fascinating and the human mind is curious,” writes Gardner. “I want them to understand it so that they will be positioned to make it a better place.”

That’s a different sort of intelligence, and no doubt hard to turn into a multiple-choice exam. There is no one right way to make the world a better place. So it follows that Gardner sees kids as possessing different types of intelligence to get that ambitious job done. Here are his categories, which, honestly, not all of Gardner’s colleagues readily accept. Yet the days of considering intelligence as a singular concept are long past, thanks in large part to Gardner’s breakthrough sorting.

Linguistic intelligence: Deals with words. This is the primary intelligence for storytellers, journalists and attorneys. It provides the foundation to effectively inform, persuade, argue, teach and entertain. Kids high in this intelligence will be proficient with word games and tongue twisters. They will enjoy the sounds of words and tend to be avid readers and clear writers.

Logical-mathematical intelligence: Not surprisingly, this is the mind’s ability to work with numbers and logic sequencing. Think scientists, accountants, software developers. Kids with this intelligence set will be good at understanding cause and effect, numerical patterns and rationale (which could come in handy in dealing with the parents too).

Spatial intelligence: It covers the ability to conceptualize in mental images and pictures. Typical careers are in photography and art. These kids are good at visual details and tend to draw graphics and 3-D images that seem beyond their years. A key facet is the child’s ability to transfer those mental pictures to a form the rest of us can see.

Next: Musical intelligence

SOURCE:

http://health.msn.com/pregnancykids/kidshealth/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100155873>1=9145

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit