Are kids getting stupider?

by roflcopter 24 Replies latest jw friends

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

At age 15 I was doing Integral Calculus - and I can still do Integral Calculus in my head

what really pisses me off is that people when asked what 41 x 41 = need to get a calculator out - crazy and sad

• Gayle
    Gayle

Every generation says this,,I guess it makes them feel better. There are all kinds in every generation. Signed, Grandma

• 5go
    5go

I don't think kids are getting less intelligent. They're just receiving less training in practical knowledge....the 3 R's.

However, back in the early 70's my boss once sent some young person to the nearby chicken place for an order of chicken lips. The youth actually went there and ordered 'em and was very perplexed when they found out chicken lips don't exist.

Frannie

Now you know why I am anti authority. Your told to that something exists even you may in the back of your head think "what the" Then the joke is on you when you act on it, but really the joker just lost his authority ( trust ) from the victim's mind. Never play jokes while in a power position. Bet you this boss was a jerk for the most part. Although I have to admit I've gone along with such pranks not really thinking about it till now. No wonder those guys never lasted.

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W
    do you feel that kids these days are getting stupider?

My guess is, she's not good at concentrating when she feels like she's 'on the spot.' ADD or ADHD type of thing--which has nothing at all to do with intelligence (or lack thereof), but can sure LOOK like it!!!

I personally am intelligent as hell, as many who know me will say outright...but I'm also as ditzy blonde as a ditzy blonde can possibly get.....and especially when it comes to numbers!!! That has to do too, with the right brain- vs. left brain- dominance thing that I was mentioning on the "only great minds can read this" thread started by parakeet.

Hell, I had the police over to my house yesterday because my car--which was visible from my kitchen window, in the parking lot outside my new apt., only just the day before.....was now.....GONE!!!

It wasn't until he was here and taking down my stats that I stopped and thought, Wait a minute, and went to check.............. Sure enough: My car was parked outside where it had always been--in the OTHER parking lot, which is NOT the one facing my window................ ROFL It was someone else's car I was looking at the whole time.

So...no...not 'getting' stupider, necessarily...........just having their 'moments,' like the rest of us............

• Anony-Mouse
    Anony-Mouse

I'm setting myself up for embarassment here....but I must know...

If I were that cashier, I might have done that same thing.

The way I see it, if you need $10.91, and you give me a dime back, you get $10.81.

Now, if you had said "Keep the change" then I'd have given you just the $10.

10.91 - .10 = 10.81

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

well, anony-mouse says it all...

• J-ex-W
    J-ex-W

Anony-Mouse-------------- That extra dime he handed the cashier means his change due back is no longer $10.91.

He is now due back change of $11.01.

He's due back the $10.91 overpaid the first time (by paying with a twenty) plus the 10 cents overpaid a second time (by handing a dime).......... = $11.01

This means he doesn't have to deal with the bulky, heavier change of 91 cents in his pocket--he only gets one penny and some bills back instead. Easier to carry...so paying a dime extra on his part lightens his load.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Whatever happened to mental arithmetic?

$20.10 - $10.09 = $10.01

41 x 41 = 1681

• Zico
    Zico
    41 x 41 = 1681

Ah but Littletoe, how do we know you didn't use a calculator for this? Zico (Who thought 41 x 41 was 1601, and had to use a calculator to discover he was wrong)

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I think it's not so much in being stupider, but I think they are more lazy. They grew up on calculators to figure basic arithmetic, rather than trying to figure it in their head. When I was a kid, I remember the old time merchants would write the prices of each item in pencil on a paper bag, and add a long list of numbers in just a few seconds flat....correctly. And many of them didn't even finish High School at that time. Who can still add like that today? They just don't know how. The "tricks" used to add numbers together like that is a lost art. A Computer does it for us.......and Frannie...everybody knows that chicken lips are the main ingredient in Hot Dogs!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit