Are kids getting stupider?

by roflcopter 24 Replies latest jw friends

• roflcopter
    roflcopter

Now I am just a young guy myself, but do you feel that kids these days are getting stupider? I personally feel that kids are getting stupider.

Take for instance my exprience today. I went to Pickup Stix and ordered the kung pao chicken. I gave the young girl at the register a $20 and my change due back was $10.91... I told her I would give her a dime because I didn't want 91 cents in change. So after handing the girl the dime she stares at it perplexed for a minute, with her hands shaking a bit, and then fubmles with the register and gives me $10.81 back, smiles and says thank you.

I seriously do not understand how someone could fail at such a basic addition! I asked her how old she was, to which she said 19, and a recent high school grad at that. How do you graduate high school with such poor computational skills? I feel that our schools are doing such a poor job with kids today. It is any wonder all our jobs are going overseas.

Discuss!

• XJW4EVR
    XJW4EVR

Now I am just a young guy myself, but do you feel that kids these days are getting stupider? I personally feel that kids are getting stupider.

Take for instance my exprience today. I went to Pickup Stix and ordered the kung pao chicken. I gave the young girl at the register a $20 and my change due back was $10.91... I told her I would give her a dime because I didn't want 91 cents in change. So after handing the girl the dime she stares at it perplexed for a minute, with her hands shaking a bit, and then fubmles with the register and gives me $10.81 back, smiles and says thank you.

I seriously do not understand how someone could fail at such a basic addition! I asked her how old she was, to which she said 19, and a recent high school grad at that. How do you graduate high school with such poor computational skills? I feel that our schools are doing such a poor job with kids today. It is any wonder all our jobs are going overseas.

Discuss!

No, it is not the kids that are getting stupider, but I'll bet she has great self-esteem! It is the public education system that is failing them. The reason why American kids are so poor in basic math and reading, is because public schools are more interested in teach self-esteem, rather than basic skills.

• rolling rock
    rolling rock

XJW4EVR.... Hit the nail right on the head.

In some schools they don't even keep score in PE, cuz thay don't want to hert anyones feelings... NO JOKE!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

It's not only kids, it's adults too. Most cash registers these days will display the change due, and many cashiers still don't get it right, even though the amount due is staring them right in the face.

I used to buy breakfast at work, and I got the same thing every day, but the prices were rarely consistent. I could pay $4.23 one day, and $6.55 the next. One day I was hungrier than usual, so I got a bran muffin in addition to my regular breakfast. This resulted in my paying the lowest price ever - $4.04.

I got fed up with the inconsistency and I eat at home now.

W

• 5go
    5go

Don't you mean dumber ?

• Snoozy
    Snoozy

Well my kids are grown and can count..

But I now have 6 grandkids and they can't subtract in their head either! Everything is done today on a computer. All they have to know is how to work a computer. I tried to see if they could give change one time and the two I questioned both got it wrong. Simple making change and they couldn't do it.Don't even mention spelling..

What's scary about it is the one is a genius according to state tests!

But another thing they are lacking are common sense.

They are experts at munipulating their parents though!

Snoozy..

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I don't think you can make sweeping generalizations just because kids use calculators as a crutch, but it is frustrating when you're in the situation you described. Intelligence can be measured many ways. I do believe that if they were consistently required to do math in their heads in school that this would improve things. Not neccessarily making them more intelligent, just quicker.

now, as for the comment:

It is any wonder all our jobs are going overseas.

That has very, very little to do with education in the US. It has to do with the cost of goods, global competition, and other benefits to citizens, businesses and governments.

BA- That's my 2 cents

• 5go
    5go
    But another thing they are lacking are common sense.

Define common sence ?

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

I don't know how many of you are aware that in 1991, President Clinton solved the problem of falling SAT scores by adding 100 points to everyone's scores.

Check any college catalog and there will be an asterik for scores obtained before that date.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I don't think kids are getting less intelligent. They're just receiving less training in practical knowledge....the 3 R's.

However, back in the early 70's my boss once sent some young person to the nearby chicken place for an order of chicken lips. The youth actually went there and ordered 'em and was very perplexed when they found out chicken lips don't exist.

Frannie

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit