Your opinion on my really important question, please.

by jambon1 48 Replies latest jw friends

• jambon1
    jambon1

Does a JW upbringing simply confuse a child or is it really damaging?

I have no doubt that a JW child is, at least, confused with life. In my own case my wife brings up my 2 children (aged 5 & 2) AS JW`s. She is not a crackpot JW, in fact she is fairly balanced. However, with me out of the org and quite against the religion, I believe that my children must be at least confused about the situation. As they grow older and they are taught about the death of their father and mostly non JW family, this is bound to confuse them. Also, not partaking in xmas, birthdays etc.

But, more seriously, I want to know how many of you think that a JW upbringing is in fact damaging to a childs mind and general wellbeing.

It alarms me that they are sitting at meetings being exposed to some of the doctrines, over and over again. They will be taking it all in. What effect does this have on children through the years. Is it maybe the case that I can be the balancing act in it all and that everything will be ok?

I have left the initial bitterness of being decieved by the religion but this is now a major concern to me. I do not want my childrens minds being screwed up with this stuff and dont really know how to handle it or what to do.

Thanks if you can contribute from what you know or your personal experiences.

J

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Opinion only- the fatalistic teachings are damaging. All those worldly people like your
    teacher, schoolmates, family, etc. that are not JW will be destroyed by Jehovahs.

Don't pursue worldly goals like education, having success, wasting time in sports,
    even establishing a family- because the destruction is imminent.

Kids get phobias about holidays, politics, sports, other people. Even now, I cannot
    easily walk into a church without their teachings of demons coming to mind, and I did
    not grow up in the religion.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

It can be very damaging, especially if they grow to believe it. Children naturally want to have fun, so you as a non believing parent can offer them the opportunity to participate in things that we were denied. Also allow them the opportunity to date and mingle with the opposite sex, even if it is just simple stuff like a movie and dinner. The JW cult is very repressive and is detrimental to the emotional development of the child.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*
    I have left the initial bitterness of being decieved by the religion but this is now a major concern to me. I do not want my childrens minds being screwed up with this stuff and dont really know how to handle it or what to do.

I feel the same way. I don't have children,...but my brothers who are still in have several children and it kills me that these little ones are continually being indoctrinated as we speak.

In short,...I think it's very damaging.

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*
    The JW cult is very repressive and is detrimental to the emotional development of the child.

Even if that child leaves the WTS as an adult,...the person has a ton of baggage to work through and will carry much of it through the rest of his/her life.

• lisaBObeesa
    lisaBObeesa

This is a very important topic to me, as I was raised a JW and it has had such a huge impact on me.

Please see my post about "Raising Kids To Be Cult Members"

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/10438/1.ashx

In that post I explain why I believe that for younger kids being a JW is not necessarily damaging to their development, but for adolescents, it can be devastating.

The JW religion is developmentally damaging to teens.

• greendawn
    greendawn

It depends how seriously the parents take the JW religion, if they are too strict it can be damaging. It also depends on the status of their parents among the dubs, if they have a high status the children may even enjoy being dubs due to the respect they get. Then missing out on Christmas and birthdays becomes something trivial.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Children are amazingly flexible. If you offer alternative ways of thinking, they will store that away for future use. It's important not to trash your spouse in front of them. Be a model, an example, and they can work out just fine. Just look at Richie Rich's dad. He never opposed his wife or the society directly, but his bright son worked it out all on his own anyways....and those tattoos! Just like dad.

Where the society REALLY damages, IMHO, is in delayed development. In the society, adults are to remain dependent on their parents and the organization their entire lives. Any attempt at independence (a necessary step to adulthood, IMO) is summarily squashed. So you can step in to delay baptism, delay commitment until your children are fully adults; until they are twenty-three if you can pull it off. Use Jesus' baptism as the model. Oh, and pay for higher education for your children, to develop their little independent minds.

• carla
    carla

I think merely reading the problems of the adult posters should give you some clue as to the damage the wt can do to the heart and soul of human being. In my opinion if you can stop the emotional, spiritual,mental, and at times physical abuse the wt puts out, why wouldn't you? especially with your own kids. A hard battle when one spouse is a jw and one is not. In my case, I would truly have to be dead for my kids to step foot in a hell. Even then my family would probably try to do all in their power to keep them out or at least be educated about the cult. Now, my kids are well aware of the cult and the damage it can do, besides they can see the change in their own dad. They will never be jw's, thank God.

• anewme
    anewme

What? You dont want your children to be taught that daddy is going to be killed by Jesus?

Or that the whole world is filled with liars and disgusting idol worshipers, their teachers and neighbors included?

You dont want them seated beside you in a Kingdom Hall and told all about masturbation and how evil it is and how unclean it is to touch their own bodies?

Dont you want your boy to think that a womans private parts are dirty and unclean and one should never go
    near there with the face?

Dont you want your beautiful daughters to go door to door and meet some greasy characters who will
    taunt them and tease them and say some incredibly raw things to them?

Dont you look forward to your sons and daughters having menial jobs that allow them to work nights or part time so they can attend every mind numbing boring meeting of Jehovahs Witnesses and pioneer too?

You really didnt want your kids to be able to own their own homes anyway did you?

And of course all parents look forward to their children going mentally unstable, depressed, suicidal, and disfellowshipped!

If you discourage your children from this group, look what they will be missing out on!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit