Voting is now a conscience matter , Read out at Meeting Last night

by JWFreak 57 Replies latest jw friends

• JWFreak
    JWFreak

Hello everyone I hope you are all well.

There was a Very Strange announcement given out at the meeting last night in all Congregations in a Western European Country

The Borg here are at a critical stage in their Court room battles.

I wrote it down word for word and have translated into English.

Start of Letter

"Whilst ensuring that the principle of neutrality is respected. Each Christian should decide with his own conscience whether he attends the Voting station or not.

The Christian congregation doesn't intervene in this area, which is guided by a christian conscience and private life, and does not in any instance result in sanctions or restrictions of service privileges in the congregation. But as John 17 v 14 indicates all christians must maintain neutrality.

Christians treat this principle seriously, they are no part of the world, and remain neutral to the affairs of the world. John 18 v 36

What about a country where voting is NOT compulsory, but where those who do not attend the polling station are considered in a bad light, maybe physically threatened Or what about those who find themselves seriously penalized if they don't attend the station.

In these situations a christian must make a personal decision Gal 6v5.

Some are surprised to see some JW's attend a polling station, some might raise questions. It is noteworthy to admit to such ones that in areas related to conscience. It is up to each christian to make a decision before God." End of letter

The elders admitted that they had no hard copy of this letter, but had to dictate it from the CO reading it out to them.

Anyway it is not consistent with the ks91....2 standards here maybe
    Your thoughts please

JWFreak

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Double standards indeed. And even worse, they ensured that there was no hardcopy to refer to later. They could happily ditch that advice and suggest that some over-zealous Elder took it down wrong. They've learned some of their lessons from the 1975 fiasco!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

It sounds like a legal necessity. The country might have insisted that they tell
    members that it is okay to vote, or the country would consider banning JW's or
    labeling them as a "cult" or tax them.

Even what you typed, it sounds like they are covering themselves- saying that
    it's okay to vote, but a Christian would maintain his neutrality. I have a feeling
    that "it's not okay to vote" but they have to say otherwise.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way

What I get from that letter is this:

''If you live in a country where you will be persecuted for not voting, you may go to the voting booths, just dont put in a ballot (if the booth is private), or do not mark your ballot with anything that would be choosing a political party.''

It's an arrangement so that the rank and file brothers and sisters can have a clear conscience about going to the voting booths (while not voting) in countries where they may be persecuted for not voting.

I dont read anywhere in the letter that voting itself is a conscience matter, as it is stressed that christians must remain neutral. they are refering to christians making an ''appearance'' of voting.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I'm sure the brothers in Malawi will be pleased to hear this. Amazing... How does any member of the GB sleep at night?!?

Dave

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

The facade continues to peel, split, and reveal the cracks underneath.

Only the truly brainwashed would fail to see both the hypocrisy and underhandedness of the JWs.

• Gill
    Gill

Oh dear! All those JWs persecuted; beaten, raped, etc for not voting or 'buying a party political card' will be so thrilled that they suffered in vain.

And no hard copy!

How does a book publishing company survive when it is too afraid to put anything down in print!?

Hopefully it doesn't survive!

• Zico
    Zico

I'm pretty sure that this isn't new. In countries where voting is compulsory, JWs can go to the voting station, but make sure not to tick a name. I've heard of some JWs doing this, and writing Jehovah on the bottom of the voting slip and putting a tick next to his name. Similarly, JWs can be a part of the electoral register, as some companies make this vital before giving out loans or credit cards. It doesn't mean they vote. Odd? Absolutely. But then JWs aren't really politically neutral, they just think they are.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Echoing AlmostAtheist, Bro A, and Gill,

This is the very definition of unconscionable.

I thought I had seen it all,

Nvr

If there exists a God in heaven, He must be furious with these arrogant asses.

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

More typical watchtower double standards, and all deniable as there is no hard copy.

It would be nice to think that some current jws will see through this, but I doubt it will happen somehow.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit