Voting is now a conscience matter , Read out at Meeting Last night

by JWFreak 57 Replies latest jw friends

• onacruse
    onacruse

never, as requested:

*** w98 8/15 p. 17 Strengthening Our Confidence in God’s Righteousness ***

Feelings of Having Suffered Needlessly

In the past, some Witnesses have suffered for refusing to share in an activity that their conscience now might permit. For example, this might have been their choice years ago as to certain types of civilian service. A brother might now feel that he could conscientiously perform such without overstepping his Christian neutrality regarding the present system of things.

Was it unrighteous on Jehovah’s part to allow him to suffer for rejecting what he now might do without consequences? Most who have had that experience would not think so. Rather, they rejoice that they had the opportunity of demonstrating publicly and clearly that they were determined to be firm on the issue of universal sovereignty. (Compare Job 27:5.) What reason could anyone have to regret having followed his conscience in taking a firm stand for Jehovah? By loyally upholding Christian principles as they understood them or by responding to the proddings of conscience, they proved worthy of Jehovah’s friendship. Certainly, it is wise to avoid a course that would disturb one’s conscience or that would likely cause others to be stumbled. We can think in this regard of the example that the apostle Paul set.—1 Corinthians 8:12, 13; 10:31-33.

In order to please Jehovah, the Jews were required to obey the Ten Commandments and also a wide variety of about 600 additional laws. Later, under the Christian arrangement, obedience to these laws as such was no longer a requirement for serving Jehovah, not even for fleshly Jews. The laws no longer binding included those dealing with circumcision, keeping the Sabbath, offering animal sacrifices, and observing certain dietary restrictions. (1 Corinthians 7:19; 10:25; Colossians 2:16, 17; Hebrews 10:1, 11-14) Jews—including the apostles—who became Christians were released from the obligation to keep laws that they were required to obey when they were under the Law covenant. Did they complain that God’s arrangement was unrighteous in having formerly required of them things that were no longer necessary? No, they rejoiced in the broadened understanding of Jehovah’s purposes.—Acts 16:4, 5.

In modern times, there have been some Witnesses who were very strict in their view of what they would or would not do. For that reason they suffered more than others. Later, increased knowledge helped them to expand their view of matters. But they have no reason to regret having earlier acted in harmony with their conscience, even when this possibly brought extra suffering. It truly is commendable that they demonstrated their willingness to suffer in faithfulness to Jehovah, to "do all things for the sake of the good news." Jehovah blesses that kind of godly devotion. (1 Corinthians 9:23; Hebrews 6:10) The apostle Peter wrote with insight: "If, when you are doing good and you suffer, you endure it, this is a thing agreeable with God."—1 Peter 2:20.
  • nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Hello ona,

Very gracious of you.

Thank you kindly,

Nvr

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard

There is an estimated 500,000 words in the cumbersome english language my fav to describe them is MEALY-MOUTH

I swear it is something pathological about them to meal-mouth my JW elder dad & grandad,the flunky hacks from my last kingdom hall Rockland Massachusetts were all mealy mouth.

That's why i am a straight foreward straight up smash mouth

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis
    Right but if I recall when I was young marking was just the same. Later when we had talks saying we were not to publicly mark someone...it was done hush hush and the person was treated as if df'ed. Still the same. Might as well have been as dead to the congregation as I am. My brother keeps saying the congregation has changed....but until they come back and say...we were WRONG. WE WERE wrong and clear the name and all the names of the people they f***ed over, I cannot see how they have changed at all. This admit no fault thing is full of crap. For instance.

BINGO. That's just it. They won'd Technically df or da the person necessarily, but marking allows the congregation to "mark" them so that they are treated the same way.
    Again, the use of the word conscience is bulls***.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Onacruise ..Good one..What a load of WBT$ crap..The JW`s that suffered more than most,are Friggin Dead!!..WBT$ is both Arrogant and Insane..Kill yourself for a Billion dollar Publishing Company!.."This is a thing agreeable with God"..The WBT$ says so..Crazy Eyes...OUTLAW

• onacruse
    onacruse

never, you're very welcome! Although I'm concerned that Sparkplug may start smashing things!

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

onacruise, thanks for the article. that comparision between keeping the sabbath and what JWs were asked to do is sickeningly flimsy. Keeping the Sabbath was actually beneficial (advanced hygine instructions mostly). Not like facing prison or execution for some silly doctrine. danny, my grandfather uses the same phrase "mealy-mouth", even to describe many WT articles, which he said could often be condensed to about 2 or 3 paragraphs to get the same point across.

• Sparkplug
    Sparkplug
    Although I'm concerned that Sparkplug may start smashing things!

EIH YI YI! I so want to. I don't ponder much on the teachings. My mind closes so tight when I am forced to and I get so mad that I find it best just to not go there. I have this thing about double standards and hypocrites. I get so mad. And then it makes me think on all that I have lost and all that others have lost; up to and including their lives. I just see red. Chaps my hide it does.

There are few times and few things I can't reason my way out of. One of those I had to face the other day. It was ugly. But I swear this...I feel so powerless and I want to host a revolution. charge the damn tower. Do SOMETHING!! And yet I am just a freaking cooked pea hitting a wall. Nothing splat. Grrrrr.

• found-my-way
    found-my-way
    Did they complain that God’s arrangement was unrighteous in having formerly required of them things that were no longer necessary? No, they rejoiced in the broadened understanding of Jehovah’s purposes.—Acts 16:4, 5.

WHAT THE HELL?? They are comparing their doctrines to the TEN COMMANDMENTS / MOSAIC LAW!!!!!?

And then they s**t on those who have become disheartened! HOW LOVING!!

• onacruse
    onacruse

nvrgnbk, thank you for remembering that article from the Watchtower. It certainly puts a fine point on this topic.

Craig

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit