My life after Bethel

by new boy 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• new boy
    new boy

I would like to say. Thank you for this place in cyber space, this is therapy for me. There is something about writing things down, that helps put things in perspective.......

The day I left it was pouring rain........I really screwed up, I found out the night before, as I was packing things up, that I had way under estimated how much stuff I had. I had two large suit cases (that I could barely shut the lids on) and a large army duffel bag. I would guess about 200 lb of shit......My Van was in Rhode Island with the enigine out of it.......I was taking the bus to my new "home".........It was 4 blocks to the Subway station. It took me 45 minutes to get there.......the longest 45 minutes of my life. It looked like something out of "The Shawshank Redemption" when he crash out of prison in the rain. I would carry or drag my belongings only about 75 feet at a time.........I would have to stop.......I would sit there on top of one of my suit cases, panting for air........ I was drenched and mad as hell........How could I have been so stupid?......After a few minutes, I would gather my strengh and drag my shit another 50-75 ft..........People looking at me as they were walking by....sitting there in the rain............What a sight.......but in New York City, most people are not surprized at anything, they may see around the next corner.......

I missed my first bus to Rhode Island and had to wait 4 hours for the next bus. So I was pissed off at everything, Bethel, New York City, the subways and life in general. As I sat there drench to the bone with everything I owned........I thought about how I got screwed the first day I came to Bethel too. I took a cab from the airport back in 1970.........I should have been about a 20 minute cab ride. My cab driver asked if I was "new" to the area..........I said "Yes, I was......I'm going to 124 Columbia Heights the world head quarters of the Jehovah's Witness!" as if he really cared..............Little did I know he was going to give me a full tour of all Brooklyn...........over an hour later he dropped me off at the 124 building, he said "That will be $52.50" he gave me my bags and as I walking away......when he said "Hay kid....what about a tip" It was the first cab ride in my life and didn't know how it all worked.....so I gave him another 5 bucks....."Thanks" he said and "Welcome to New York!"......I only had 140 dallors to my name after the cab ride. Now, I was leaving Bethel with $160 bucks.........not bad...... 4 years and a $20 profit....................I guess I got screwed coming and going...........but I can't blame anyone put myself. I don't mind making mistakes, I just hate making the same ones..............over again.

On leaving Bethel I made two Vows.

1.I would NEVER work for anyone ever again. If I was going to work for a "Jerk" it might as well be me!

2.I would NEVER be and Elder or in a position of "Over Sight" in the organization, the biggest thing I learn at Bethel was, that POWER corrupts. That I would NEVER sit in judgement of one of my follew brothers/sisters. I think I hold the society's record for the person who was a MS the longest...........over 30 years. Oh Yea......They wanted to make me a elder a couple of times............I would just skip field service for a month.......that was the end of that.

Anyway, I was going to get married on March 30, 1974. People would ask me if I going to get married as soon as I left Bethel?....................I would say "NO........I'm waiting 2 weeks." I was hot to trot.

It was Allen Andrews who gave the wedding talk at the Newport R.I Kindom Hall. I was there with "My Boys" Jack Sutton best man, Roy Baty, Randy Robertson "Country" and Mike Stillman. True to what my future inlaws told me to do "I just showed up." We had the reception at the V.F.W. hall. My father inlaw (Gomer Pyle) braged to everyone at the wedding, that it only cost him $300 bucks for the whole thing. Debbie made her own wedding dress......she wore a ripped pair of panty hose (no cash for new ones). We had a great time and danced our asses off. There was only one problem.........Jim Pipkorn who was to take our wedding pictures (to save money)....... got lost and finally got there and hour before the reception was over........Debbie never did forgive him for that. Debbie and I were the last ones out of the V.F.W. Hall........we just didn't want it to end.

We didn't move to Califorina after the wedding, like I tolded her parents.There was just too many changes happening. I just couldn't see making four of the biggest changes in my life with in 2 week period 1. leaving Bethel 2. getting married 3.moving to Califorina 4. getting a job.I was tired and exhausted. We had got 1,500 bucks at our wedding, the most money I had ever seen in my whole life."We were RICH"...........so we played for a whole month. You want to hear something really sick? The only place we went to on our honeymoon was, guess were?............Thats right New York City! Since her parents would never let her come down to visit me while we were going together, I wanted to show her the city. At the time you could rent a room in the Towers Hotel from Bethel for cheap......so we went there for a weekend. I must say on some crazy level, I liked the idea of having "legal sex" in a Bethel room. I got some kind of sick pleasure from taking her on a tour of the factory, so I could show off my new bride to all my "Horny" friends.......Who still needed to "make there time"......Kind of a "Hay......Guys, look what I got!....You can get one too.........someday if your lucky!"

• prophecor
    prophecor

I'm Listening

• free2think
    free2think

Keep going.......

Editted to add: Please

• Kaput
    Kaput

I think there's a whole new batch of dubs at the Newport Hall now. Don't recognize any of the names. Think they either replaced the joint or did a rehab recently. You should've had the honeymoon on Hog Island...at least you would've had some privacy and saved some $$$.

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Hmmm. . . now I have to read some of your other stories. That was actually kinda' interesting. And a bit sad - esp. the part about leaving Bethel in the pouring rain with a couple of suitcases. Glad you found a nice wife and a good life!

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

New Boy, you know how to keep us all wanting more.

• bernadette
    bernadette

thanks for continuing your story bruv

- hope grandma is doin okay. Love to her

bernadette

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

keep it comming...

lisa

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles

What a horrible way to leave Bethel ... drenched in rain ... just plain angry. On the bright side however, THANK GOD YOU LEFT!!! I bet you had a sweet rush taking your new bride through on tour. Please tell us more.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

I remember when I was told I had 30 days to leave Bethel. Something about getting fired that makes one outlook a bit more focused. My book study conductor is df'd for "apostasy". In typical Bethel elder mentality I was guilty also. The fact that I never really hung around with the guy except at the book study was enough. We almost never even traveled together back and forth to the book study. During the judial committee meeting two of the elders knew this was bullshit, and the third could not get rid of me soon enough. A number of years later I came back for a visit. The one elder, that I had been good friends with, told me that I got caught in the cross fire-collaterial damge. I had no problem with this, it was time to leave anyway--had enough. The other elder who could not wait to get rid of me, was my work boss. What an incompetent manager. I had about 15 people working under me and we were always at odds about management style. He was later removed from being a floor overseer. Apparently everyone eventually hated working under this guy. Just because one is an elder does not automatically make you a leader of men--in a production environment. An simple obvious fact lost on the upper management at Bethel.

Anyway, I am told 30 days to be gone. I get a vehicle through a vehicle delivery service and am gone a week later. Twelve weeks later I start college. Got canned at just the right time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit