Global Warming Hysteria

by metatron 262 Replies latest jw friends

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

I remember reading (forgive me, I do not remember where -- Yahoo news or Cnn.com?) once that core ice drillings in Antartica going down several thousand feet (perhaps even a couple of miles?), when those samples of ice where brought up and tested showed higher concentrations of carbon today than at any time in the past 500,000 years.

umm ... I'm not a scientist or have any degree whatsoever in science, but doesn't that mean something?

Why wouldn't that have an effect on the climate of 2007?

Is that entire cause of global warming? Don't know, but geez at some point doesn't it have an effect? Doesn't pumping hundreds (thousands) of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year have some sort of effect on the climate?

I mean, is it possible?

Why is there such resistance to the idea?

Chris

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Despite a loss of religion, some people still love doomsaying about the End of the World, regardless.

Again, a strange bit of reasoning...'because wack-job religions like JW's constantly predict an imminent doomsday, this means that in reality everything is really ok and getting better all the time!'...huh?

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Despite a loss of religion, some people still love doomsaying about the End of the World, regardless.

In reality 99.9% of the planet doesn't know or give a damn about a tiny little sect called Jehovah's Witnesses.

There have been, and in all likelihood always will be, doomsday religious sects. Having said that, I'm not aware of a credible source on global warming comparing it to a doomsday. The climate of the planet is changing. Humans will survive. We've survived worse. Now will we survive with the current civlization intact? That's another question.

Just my tuppence.

• Frank75
    Frank75

(CO2 emissions being the cause of Global Warming)

I mean, is it possible?

Why is there such resistance to the idea?

Chris:

In relation to your question, well of course it is possible that CO2 levels from humans have an effect on something. However wouldn't it be prudent to find what IS actually causing the temperature rise as opposed to what we think or based on public opinion?

I like the faulty argument ("does not follow" I think?) example of "Every time I wear my lucky Buffalo Sabres Hat, the Sabres win, therefore the Sabres can only win if I wear my lucky Sabres Hat!"

Would you "resist that idea" if someone told you that with a straight face? It is possible the guy is right isn't he?

After my simply commenting initially about the hysteria sounding similar to the Global Cooling scare in the 70's I was not intending to wade into the debate with both guns blasting away at the ignorance that exists. Abaddon asked for scientific quotes and not just rhetoric. So I posted quite a bit, probably too much. Did you read any of it before saying "Why is there such resistance to the idea?"?

Go back and take a look at what I posted, including the links. Educate yourself.

Trillions of dollars will be spent on reducing CO2 emissions that will according to Kyoto and the IPCC UN report only reduce temperature by .06 degrees Celsius!. A negligible effect. The whole plan cannot succeed unless all industrialized nations cooperate and pull their weight. What is the likelihood that will happen?

Likewise the USA will need to take the biggest lead as we North Americans must reduce CO2 (according to Kyoto) by 25% by 2012. That means the US would need to find a replacement to fossil fuels energy for a 1/4 of a nations consumption while the nation is growing in population simultaneously. You Americans will need to build hydro, solar, wind, tidal and/or nuclear capacity to take 30-5% of the domestic power utility while taking coal, oil and other CO2 positive utilities off line....and you have 5 years to do it!

Do you know how many years it took to build the Hoover Dam? American side of the Niagara Falls power project? etc? Are you aware that the US hasn't built a nuclear power plant in over 20 years because no one wants one near their town? No one wants windmills in their backyards either (although I don't mind myself) Are you aware of the current federal deficit of the USA?

Lets replace the cars then to Carbon neutral technology as well. 204,000,000 cars on the road in the USA alone (2003). Getting those gas guzzling vehicles off the road would go along way to helping the US reach its 25% target by 2012. Who is going to pay for all of those Prias'? What will we do with the old vehicles?

How about we find what the real cause is and if possible do what we can to change it. And if we can't, as in the most likely cause which is the Suns fluctuating output, then we prepare for the inevitable whether it is a cooling trend or a further warming trend.

What would you prefer our governments do? Spend trillions of dollars on CO2 emissions that the science says is not likely the cause, bankrupting our economy by 2050 or earlier in the process?

Or spend Trillions of dollars preparing us as best we can for the inevitable warning and cooling periods that lay ahead. You decide - I already know where i will put my money. Sun block and fur coats....not real fur coats, that would be cruel! LOL

I agree totally with an earlier post that we simply consume too much as a society and it will eventually be difficult for our natural resources to provide for humanity that is quickly outpacing it. The book by Jarrod Diamond "Collapse- Rise and Fall of Civilizations" noted that virtually every great civilization collapsed because population growth out consumed the environments ability to sustain it. Often that collapse was a combination of weather/climate change or other natural disaster that compounded an existing problem such as over population or over consumption, coupled with bad or non existent planning.

Over forestation and faulty land management, over fishing and reliance on too few food varieties (subject to disease which could wipe out whole domestic animal populations or entire crops) should be solved first. Failure to do so in the past caused societies to collapse and disappear. That is provable scientifically. Let's fix what we can hope will net us the greatest benefits!

Frank75

• 5go
    5go

What would you prefer our governments do? Spend trillions of dollars on CO2 emissions that the science says is not likely the cause, bankrupting our economy by 2050 or earlier in the process?

What hybrid cars are the bomb right now I was even resisting them till recently electric cars will be here soon that is how you fix the problem,. then you have wind mills solar plants or tidal power to back up your hydro dams.

You can still make money switching to better stuff. In fact if GM had BUILT HYBRIDS INSTEAD OF F***ING SUV'S THEY MIGHT NOT HAVE TOYOTA TEARING THEIR @** UP ! and Hyundai would of been bought by Chrysler not the other way round.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Big Tex,

Is that entire cause of global warming? Don't know, but geez at some point doesn't it have an effect? Doesn't pumping hundreds (thousands) of tons of carbon into the atmosphere every year have some sort of effect on the climate?

Yes, it does and no person argues that global warming is not taking place. All sides of this issue accept that humankind has some input into the current global warming scenario on this planet. The issue is just what percentage of this climate change is mankind responsible for? For example, if it is 5% then in reality we have had such little effect as to render our input meaningless, if it is 50% the we have made a major and dangerous contribution to this phenomena.

This may surprise the less informed posters on this thread, who seem to feel that political affiliations are what will decide this issue, but this is not so, the science will decide it. None of the 'global warming hysteria' contributors who have laid down the challenge on this thread have provided any scientific evidence that indicates that mankind’s input into the global warming scenario is actually negligible, and it is their responsibility to do so in order for the challenge raised by this thread to be taken seriously, as it should.

The attack-gnats, like Brother Apostate and his giggling sidekicks XJW and elderwho, whose contribution to serious threads I have noticed is always intellectually embarrassing, have been unable to support their position, which is a shame as it has validity. A little knowledge it is said, is a dangerous thing. No knowledge is an attack-gnat.

My own position, one that may surprise the non-thinking element mentioned above is that though Global Warming is the issue of the day that effects us all, it is a natural cycle taking place which we will just have to learn to survive as best as we can and that man's input into the problem is far less than is being touted in some quarters. On a geologic timescale, which takes place over hundreds of thousands of years, what is happening is not unusual, though even the little that mankind is contributing to the problem is not helping the situation. There is little room for complacency, one way or the other, as the problem will effect all of us.

Wikipedia, an online encyclopedia which it has to be said is not always accurate or reasoned due to its fee-for-all editing features, does in actuality a fair job in presenting an accurate overview of this phenomena.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#Pre-human_global_warming

The amount of scientists that disagree with my own views and research are growing, and I am not a scientist. I am sure Abbadon, who still has not been provided evidence for rebuttal by the attack-gnats will provide his own informational resources if he is given the opportunity.

Take care Chris - HS

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    The attack-gnats, like Brother Apostate and his giggling sidekicks XJW and elderwho,

Poor Hilarious.

• Frank75
    Frank75

CO2 is not the enemy, but a welcome addition to our biosphere:

The quote below is a conclusion reached by the following scientific paper which can be seen in it entirety here:

http://www.co2science.org/scripts/Template/0_CO2ScienceB2C/pdf/health2pps.pdf

Enhanced or Impaired? Human Health in a CO 2 -Enriched Warmer World

V. Conclusions

Although historical and projected future increases in the air's CO 2 concentration and its wrongly-predicted ability to lead to catastrophic global warming have been universally hailed by climate alarmists as diabolically detrimental to human health, scientific studies clearly demonstrate that such is not the case. Throughout the entire course of the Industrial Revolution, during which time the air's CO 2 content rose by 35% and its near-surface temperature by about 0.6°C, there has been no detectable negative impact on human longevity. In fact, human lifespan has concurrently experienced an almost unbelievable increase that shows no signs of ultimately leveling off or even slowing down. What is more, warming has been shown to positively impact human health, while atmospheric CO 2 enrichment has been shown to enhance the health-promoting properties of the food we eat, as well as stimulate the production of more of it. In addition, elevated levels of atmospheric CO 2 have been shown to increase the amounts and effectiveness of disease-fighting substances found in plants that protect against various forms of cancer, cardiovascular and respiratory diseases.

In light of these many well-documented observations, it is abundantly clear we have nothing to fear from increasing concentrations of atmospheric CO 2 and global warming, i.e., the "twin evils" of the extreme environmental movement. Indeed, these phenomena would appear to be our friends … and friends of the entire biosphere.

Frank75

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Howdy Frank.

However wouldn't it be prudent to find what IS actually causing the temperature rise as opposed to what we think or based on public opinion?

Forgive me if I misunderstand you, but I believe there are such studies underway. The article I referenced above was in relation to testing the ice at the polar caps. I read another article just a couple of days ago where there is (according to the article) the largest climate study so far. I believe the article said the study was taking place in Norway.

I don't mean to speak for them, but I don't believe Abaddon or HS (or those who believe fossil fuels are contributing to global warming) are against further study.

Go back and take a look at what I posted, including the links. Educate yourself.

I have been (not all so forgive me if I missed something crucial) and so far I find the arguments that pumping thousands of tons a year of pollution into the atmosphere and has no effect to be unconvincing. I'm sorry but I just find the arguments on one side to be not very persuasive and sometimes downright silly. I find a reasoned, logical argument on one side to be more persuasive than "liberals are stupid". I remember a decade ago the idea was put forth that sheep flatulence in New Zealand was causing the ozone layer to break down. I'm not a scientist, never claimed to be one, but I cannot believe the immense level of pollution we pump out daily doesn't have some sort of effect on the planet. If it does then, might that impact the climate as well? I'm sorry but I think it is possible.

I recognize that the earth's climate has changed radically over time from warm to cold and back again. We could very well be in the middle of one of those changes right now. I've read about the mini-Ice Age which took place over several hundred years ending toward the end of the 19th century. Is it coincidence that is when pollution of the atmosphere began having an effect? I don't know, and again, I'd like to see some serious study about it. I'd like to see the U.S. government get involved in such a study. Frankly I'd like to see the U.S. make a real effort to move toward an alternative energy source that is not fossil fuel based.

Here in Texas TXU (the corrupt energy congomlerate) is demanding it be allowed to build 11 new coal plants and expand 3 others. Pollution be damned.

My first post on this thread bemoaned the fact that the average person has little choice but to use carbon-based fuel in our daily lives. I would love to "go green" but I cannot afford spending tens of thousands of dollars for solar panels on my house; Dallas has poor mass transit (our solution for mass transit was to build more highways), so I have no choice but sit in rush hour traffic in my car. I would have liked our government to have had a long term, far-reaching and far-sighted plan to transition our society into a non-carbon fuel one. But the reality that big donors to their campaigns do not want that have kept that from happening. Short term gain has impeded long term benefit for our society.

Now does this mean that this is the end of the world? I don't think so. Humans have survived far worse than global warming (whatever the cause may be). However I do think it is possible our society that we've spent hundreds of years building and growing may be in danger. From my understanding no one can accurately predict the changes global warming may cause. Maybe some of those changes will be beneficial. England used to be warm and mild enough to grow grapes to make better wine than France (or so the French king bemoaned 1,000 years ago).

As I've said before, what I would like to see is some sort of Manhattan Project for alternative energy. Get the best minds on the planet together and see if they can solve cold fusion, or use of hydrogen, etc. May not work but it's better than sitting around while using up the last of the oil.

Chris

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Frank45,

Thanks for putting that information up. I’ve observed that many, including myself, have done similarly numerous times and have learned from the experience. What have I learned?

I won’t waste my time with children like Abaddon and his cheerleader hillary, except to point out where their arguments are fatally flawed by fallacy and a fanatical devotion to their belief that they are always right. Worse yet, they’ll tempt you to post hundreds or thousands of data points, only so that they can tempt you to post hundreds or thousands more data points, only so that they can tempt you to post hundreds or thousands more data points, only so that they can tempt you to post hundreds or thousands more data points, etc. Each time, they’ll call your sources <insert insult here>, they’ll never actually read what you posted, but instead, pick a few sentences out, highlight them, and keep you busy wasting your time. It’s just a childish game to the children on JWD.

Exhibit A: Witness the latest tripe by both of them.

If they made the claim that gamma rays from the planet Mergatroid were causing global warming, would it really be necessary to refute it? It is they who are making the hysterical claim that humans are the source of global warming, and yet I haven’t seen anything yet that either of the children has posted that would lead to that conclusion.

And even if a few of the others don’t get it, because they don’t research anything, but instead have their eyes gloss over when it takes more commitment to reading comprehension than a sound-bite demands, I suppose there’s always hope.

So, here’s to your time spent trying your best to educate ‘em!

Best Wishes and Good Luck,
    Brother Apostate

P.S. Obviously, if they were really interested, they would have Googled this information, read it already, and know that their postion is untenable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit