Global Warming Hysteria

by metatron 262 Replies latest jw friends

• Frank75
    Frank75
    All sides of this issue accept that humankind has some input into the current global warming scenario on this planet. The issue is just what percentage of this climate change is mankind responsible for? For example, if it is 5% then in reality we have had such little effect as to render our input meaningless, if it is 50% the we have made a major and dangerous contribution to this phenomena.

Hillary:

Just a note that the issue you raised needs to be clarified about human involvement. In what way do you mean, CO2 contributions or the fact that we are here as an integral part of an ecosystem? Even the excrement from 6 billion people will produce greenhouse gases such as methane and CO2.

As far as CO2 is concerned we represent 0.78- 0.98 % of the total CO2 on our planet. We generate 6.5 Gt annually to a total of 750 Gt (+/- 10% or 75 Gt). Other natural contributors of CO2 such as off gassing oceans, volcanic venting etc is approximately 200 Gt per year. We represent about 3% of that total.

At the same time the amount of CO2 as high as it may seem is actually stable as the earth has been undergoing a greening period over the last 40 years, partly due to mans agricultural endeavors as well as conservation policies. 1992 was flat line CO2 levels and 1998 saw a decrease even though it was the hottest year in the last decade.

So according to your 50% comment we are not even close, and being lower than the 5% contributor you suggest, the levels of <1% and 3% depending on what perspective you look at (either the total global amount or total global annual output from natural sources) makes our role in CO2 levels very small.

But as I have tried to show CO2 is not related to rising temperature (at least as a forcing) nor is it a large component of what are called Greenhouse gases either. (I believe less than 3% is CO2, so if Greenhouse gas is behind Global Warming then our <1% of that 3% is minuscule)

In fact water vapour is one of the largest components of Greenhouse gas at 30%. If we are contributing to that percentage then the cry should be against taking hot showers, wave pulls at water parks or those water misiting systems at outdoor malls in the summer time! Can you see the protests now!

None of the 'global warming hysteria' contributors who have laid down the challenge on this thread have provided any scientific evidence that indicates that mankind’s input into the global warming scenario is actually negligible,

Ok here goes:

On global forces of nature driving the Earth’s climate. Are humans involved?

L. F. Khilyuk1 and G. V. Chilingar1

Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, University of Southern California, Los Angeles, CA 90089, USA

Abstract The authors identify and describe the following global forces of nature driving the Earth’s climate: (1) solar radiation as a dominant external energy supplier to the Earth, (2) outgassing as a major supplier of gases to the World Ocean and the atmosphere, and, possibly, (3) microbial activities generating and consuming atmospheric gases at the interface of lithosphere and atmosphere. The writers provide quantitative estimates of the scope and extent of their corresponding effects on the Earth’s climate. Quantitative comparison of the scope and extent of the forces of nature and anthropogenic influences on the Earth’s climate is especially important at the time of broad-scale public debates on current global warming. The writers show that the human-induced climatic changes are negligible.

Likewise there are numerous studies that point to increases in global CO2 levels and even a warmer climate in general being positive in nature even desirable! See posting on page 5 of this thread.

Global Warming is the issue of the day that effects us all, it is a natural cycle taking place which we will just have to learn to survive as best as we can and that man's input into the problem is far less than is being touted in some quarters. On a geologic timescale, which takes place over hundreds of thousands of years, what is happening is not unusual, though even the little that mankind is contributing to the problem is not helping the situation.

First part is partly true (but there are many more serious issues than this issue which amounts to a tempest in a tea pot) although that idea that "natural cycles" are backed up by science is very unpopular with fundy's who believe that God placed us here on the perfect earth 6000 years ago.

When confronted with two ideas, such as Science on one hand pointing to a geological history of 100's of millions of years consisting of upheaval after catastrophe, warming periods followed by extreme cold and Ice Age after Ice Age, and the other being Apocalyptic expectation that confirm their superstitions, the resulting hysteria is what we see happening. We all like a good conspiracy and this one is as good as any. That is what I see through all of this.

We will see change in the future and some of that will be catastrophic in nature as our planets history proves. We will either adapt and survive or perish. The only thing we can do in the mean time is make the best of our time here and our place in the biosphere. That means taking better care of natural resources, managing forests, wildlife and our oceans and being more responsible in practical ways to make the best of our time as species here.

Frank75

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Quote:

"What I find fascinating is the ABSOLUTE certainty of man's direct causation of the warming when the evidence, as I see it, is simply that global temps. have increased over the last century. Man's responsibility seems to me to be a CONCLUSION based on that evidence and then stated with ABSOTULE certainty. Sounds a liitle bit like faith in an invisible kingdom. "

Actually the evidence plainly shows that man is increasing CO2 (and methane and other gases) in the atmosphere, and doing it (producing man-made greenhouse gases) at a pace the earth has never dealt with before.

The evidence also plainly shows that CO2 and other ghg's act as an insulator around the earth.

Apparently, JWD has a hell of a lot of people who can't even fricking count to two, no less discuss global policy that will affect their children and grandchildren.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Dear Hillary,

You are being evasive and obtuse. Here are the threads I referred to:

hillary_stepRe: Global Warming Hysteria
    Post 6447 of 6455
    since 13-Apr-01

Brother Apostate,

You seem to have missed the point. I will quote you again :

At least for those who want to push the agenda that manmade sources are a major source, which, according to all currently available data, it's not.

The onus is on those who want to convince the world that there is a significant manmade contribution to global warming to cite sources!

You have made a bold claim. You have stated that ALL currently available scientific data indicates that manmade sources are not a major source of climate change. You are obviously aware that a large part of the world scientific commiunity disagree with you, and have presented their evidence as to why they take this stand - from their point of view thay HAVE proved this scientifically. The evidence is not a mystery, but peppered all over the Internet, scientific journals, peer reviewed papers, for all, including yourself, to research.

Now, what you need to do is to provide peer reviewed rebuttal evidence as to why, you, contrary to the majority of the scientific community disagree with them.

Please continue to note, that I have not expressed my own point of view as yet. I am just teaching you how to properly debate outside of the boundaries taught to you in 'Watching The World'. So, put up or shut up. That is all Abbadon is asking for you and your camp to do.

Present the science to evidence your views, as have those who adhere to the 'global warming' scenario.

HS

As I already pointed out in my response, what you attempted to do was build a straw man of my statement, when what I stated was:

At least for those who want to push the agenda that manmade sources are a major source, which, according to all currently available data, it's not.

As I made clear, if you have verifiable evidence to the contrary, post it.

Now, you state that you have no evidence the contrary.

Now, what you need to do is to provide peer reviewed rebuttal evidence as to why, you, contrary to the majority of the scientific community disagree with them.

You again make the statement you have evidence that the "majority of the scientific community" has convincing data that the majority of global warming is caused by human sources, yet, again, you do not present any evidence to support that empty claim.

Then, you posted this:

Brother Apostae,

You have shown you hand, it is you who bears the burden of proof.-BA

This has been provided, not by myself, but by the majority of the scientific community as I have previously stated.-HS

Again, empty claim, no no evidence.

You are clearly not getting it. If you have credible proof that more than a few percent of Global Warming can be attributed to human sources- post it. It is up to the folks pushing the sky is falling agenda to prove it.- BA
    I will just lay this down very, very simply for them. The subject of the debate of this thread was NOT raised by the PRO-Global Warming candidates, it was made by the ANTI Global- Warming candidates, hence the title of the thread : 'Global Warming Hysteria'.-HS

Again, you show ignorance of the subject matter, as it's not "anti" and "pro", but how much global warming is caused by human activities. But, to add insult to injury, you clearly imply that you are on the side of the "humans cause a great percentage global warming", or as I prefer to call it "sky is falling" camp.

None of the 'global warming hysteria' contributors who have laid down the challenge on this thread have provided any scientific evidence that indicates that mankind’s input into the global warming scenario is actually negligible, and it is their responsibility to do so in order for the challenge raised by this thread to be taken seriously, as it should.-HS

My replies to that have already been posted:

You could claim that mankind causes the majority of variance on the perceived rings of Saturn, if you wish, but then the onus is on you to post your sources that led you to a seemingly irrational conclusion.=BA
    If they made the claim that gamma rays from the planet Mergatroid were causing global warming, would it really be necessary to refute it? It is they who are making the hysterical claim that humans are the source of global warming, and yet I haven’t seen anything yet that either of the children has posted that would lead to that conclusion.-BA

It is the one making outrageous claims to prove their point.

Now you "expose" that you supposedly believed all along with the rational view that there is no convincing evidence that human sources cause a significant portion of global warming.

hillary_step, stop the game playing.

BA- Exposing game players, hypocrites and schizophrenics.

PS- Make your mind up and quit playing games, child

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brother Apostate,

Re-read my posts - everything will make sense if you actually STOP and THINK about what I have written. You do not seem to have any idea of what you are doing on this thread. What are you doing here?

For example, you stated this :

Now, PROVIDE EVIDENCE for this viewpoint for Abbadon to rebut. Get it? THAT is how it works.

I have now tried to bang this into your head a number of times, but will try just once more. The ORIGINATOR of this thread raised the challenge in debate. It was up to the ORIGINATOR of the thread and those who agree with him to PRESENT EVIDENCE that supports this challenge, not for those who did not raise the challenge to do so. Those who did not raise the challenege REBUT the evidence provided.

Now, Frank is the only one who has provided and stood by any evidence that supports the thread, and this late in the debate. You have provided NONE. XJW has provided NONE. Elderwho has provided NONE. You have all continued to attack Abbadon who has made it clear that he is WAITING for your information so that he may have a chance to REBUT, or at least analyse it. I have explained this as I would a thirteen year old child...well because....

As I suggested earlier, why not just go into 'read' mode until you know your facts and know how to debate them. You are digging a deeper hole for yourself each time you post.

HS

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

hillary_step,

It is, again, you who has missed the point.

Brother Apostate,

Re-read my posts - everything will make sense if you actually STOP and THINK about what I have written. You do not seem to have any idea of what you are doing on this thread. What are you doing here?

For example, you stated this :

Now, PROVIDE EVIDENCE for this viewpoint for Abbadon to rebut. Get it? THAT is how it works.

= Translation of above: hillary_step is a child who knows everything, why won’t you play by hillary_step's rules? Mommy, they won’t play by my rules, waaaaaaa!!!

My replies to that have already been posted:

You could claim that mankind causes the majority of variance on the perceived rings of Saturn, if you wish, but then the onus is on you to post your sources that led you to a seemingly irrational conclusion.=BA
    If they made the claim that gamma rays from the planet Mergatroid were causing global warming, would it really be necessary to refute it? It is they who are making the hysterical claim that humans are the source of global warming, and yet I haven’t seen anything yet that either of the children has posted that would lead to that conclusion.-BA

It is the one making outrageous claims to prove their point.

BA- You made a straw man, I burned it. BA doesn’t "debate" with children, and knows a child when he sees one.

PS- Don't tell me how to "debate" by your "rules", child.

• zack
    zack

Six of Nine:

Not only can I count to two, divide, add, and even figure out the square root of two in long hand, I am also old enough to remember being taught that the Earth was

headed for an ICE AGE. I do not dispute the changes in temperatures. I believe these to be facts. I have learned, however, to not accept ANYTHING that comes with

an agenda, which is why I am on JWD. I treat with skepticism and frankly, suspicion, anything and anyone who trumpets a cause only they are "intelligent"

enough to understand. Do you not see the religious fervor with which this issue is brought forth? I will make my own adjustments to my own lifestyle based on information

which I deem credible, reliable, verifiable, and reproducible.

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Everyone has an agenda, zack.

To "leave the earth better than you found it, for your children or other people's children", to "make the earth better for EVERYONE, not just the few at the upper end of wealthy countries", to "prevent a catastrophe for everyone, but especially for the earth's poorest"..... are MUCH MUCH MUCH better agendas than "repeat what some Exxon Mobile sponsored propaganda/bullshit artist says because it makes me feel more comfortable and secure". (not, btw, saying that you are doing this. just making a point about agendas).

I do indeed see the "religious fervor" this causes amongst people who choose to think religiously. I despise religion and the weak minded, uncritical, ego-satiating, lazy thinking that brings religion about. I did enough of that lame thinking to last a lifetime as a witness.

I assure you, my fervor is anything but religious. Fervor is not a bad thing.

I have to ask, why is the fact that you "remember being taught that the Earth was headed for an ICE AGE" pertinent to the discussion of global warming? I'm stumped as to why this is relevant. Was this ice age man-made? Was it preventable? Was it a look at hundred's of thousands of years, and a simple extrapolation from that? Was it supposed to happen over a course of 50 years, or 5000 years? Was your teacher a researcher in the field? Does an "coming ice age" extrapolation disconfirm current global warming data somehow? Inquiring minds want to know. Non-inquiring minds ought to get their ass into a church somewhere.

• Frank75
    Frank75
    However wouldn't it be prudent to find what IS actually causing the temperature rise as opposed to what we think or based on public opinion?

Forgive me if I misunderstand you, but I believe there are such studies underway. The article I referenced above was in relation to testing the ice at the polar caps. I read another article just a couple of days ago where there is (according to the article) the largest climate study so far. I believe the article said the study was taking place in Norway.

Big Tex:

I think you have misunderstood my intention. Isn't that what I am saying in the quote and all along? Most of those accused of being "Nay Sayers" have not said Nay at all, but that they think the Jury is still out. In fact the court has not even heard from the defense yet in many ways.

Recently in Canada a former Olympic Gold medal skier Nancy Greene said when asked about her position, "In science, there's almost never black and white. We don't know what next week's weather is going to be. To say in 50 or 100 years, the temperature is going to do this, is a bit of a stretch for me". She promoted a cautious approach while most of the Canadian skiers has jumped on the "we gotta do something now" soap box with David Suzuki. For that she has been virtually black balled by the skiing community and has even had her stewardship on a School Trustee board challenged because of it. That is the type of hysteria that is attached to the AGW agenda!

Those who propose calm and that propose a climate rise is a natural occurrence as an initial premise based on geological history are being drowned out (threatened, maligned and bullied) by those who's initial premise is that we are primarily to blame and we have to do something NOW and DRASTIC before it too late.

The later say that the science and studies will vindicate their rush to justify their premise "so why wait?". And I am not constructing a straw man either because Kyoto is being promoted now and some of its targets are not only dealing with flawed data (ie the hockey stick graph) but biased unsubstantiated conclusions as well, yet they are pressing for implementation within the next 5 years.

An in depth and meaningful study of polar ice caps for example would need more than 5 years. The data presently being used by Kyoto and in Al Gores documentary are skewed as I have already shown.

By the way here is one study that casts doubt on the Global Warming arguments about thinning ice caps: http://www.co2science.org/scripts/CO2ScienceB2C/articles/V8/N49/EDIT.jsp

Read it you will be surprised.

so far I find the arguments that pumping thousands of tons a year of pollution into the atmosphere and has no effect to be unconvincing. I'm sorry but I just find the arguments on one side to be not very persuasive and sometimes downright silly.

I am all for greening our outlook for future generations but lets not be stupid about it cutting our nose off to spite our face. Besides there is a difference between pollution and CO2 which is not a pollutant. Yes lets clean up the air and those things that foul it up, but don't confuse apples with oranges.

Also on the subject of silly, blaming CO2 on the earths rising temperature when historical data proves that CO2 levels rise after global temperatures rise sometimes lagging as many as 1200 years, and conversely that the record shows periods where high CO2 levels correspond with some of earths coldest periods is itself silly. Like a drunk who maintains his wife put him out because she doesn't like his red tie.

Years ago a cry of complaint arose in the US and Canada about managing the forests. One of the so called solutions was to use selective harvesting by thinning forests through several methods. The result? Forestry management actually turned North American forests into a tinder box by interfering with the natural density of forests. Forest fires have been more severe, spread more rapidly, lasted longer and caused more damage as a direct result of that interference. (Jarred Diamond - Collapse!) Now forestry service have changed their approach to account for the knowledge gained. It is the same here, look before you leap!

There is very little we can do to affect the global concentrations of CO2. If we could eliminate human CO2 altogether it would be only 1% of the global level and 3% of the annual production by mother earth herself. But if we could make a difference and lower levels of CO2 and it caused a depletion in earths agricultural food output for example (including animals as they live off of vegetation) millions would die.

Or what if we reversed the temperature rise and got the mercury going the other way? Do some research as to what happened to Europe's economy during the mini ice age (It was 1600's by the way, not the end of 19th century)

You seem like a nice guy Tex, so why not look at Dr Defreitas examination of the UN IPCC report and the Kyoto protocols against the data that science has already gathered.

Here is the link to the pdf: http://www.friendsofscience.org/documents/deFreitas.pdf

Frank75

• FreeWilly
    FreeWilly

Lovely debate.

Hopefully sooner or later someone will provide the DATA that shows CO2 as a climate driver. We have EVIDENCE of CO2 fluctuations extending back millions of years and with atmospheric concentration many times higher than we have today. Do we ever see it driving global temperatures in all of these millions of years? If we assume it will begin to drive our climate now, why did it fail previously?

There is EVIDENCE that the sun is historically responsible for much of our climate's temperature variability. Where is the cooresponding evidence for CO2's causative effect on temperature?

Can we be this far along in the debate and have overlook this obvious ommission?

Fun Reading:

CO2 put into prespective

CO2 during ice ages!

• frozen one
    frozen one

Here's a TV show that may be of interest. I don't know a thing about Dish network or the other satellite services. Is British TV available in the States and elsewhere?

http://www.lse.co.uk/ShowStory.asp?story=CZ434669U&news_headline=global_warming_is_lies_claims_documentary

http://www.channel4.com/science/microsites/G/great_global_warming_swindle/index.html

I'll be looking forward to reading the reviews.

Another event that might be of interest on both sides of the issue is the International Polar Year that just started (the study actually last 2 years). During the IPY the polar regions are going to be studied to death by scientists representing a wide spectrum of disciplines. Bookmark the site and check often:

http://www.ipy.org/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit