Stuck in a dead-end job because of obeying anti-higher education policy?

by nvrgnbk 49 Replies latest jw friends

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

I started pioneering at the end of 10th grade. College was out of the question, because the end of the world was around the corner. I took the SAT, scored very high and was accepted too several schools. One major university. After high school, I started working in construction. I started missing meetings regularly. Finally, at 20, I became a firefighter. I became successful without a degree earning a great income. I am truly blessed to be successful without a degree. I use my job as an excuse to miss everything, even the memorial.

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

I didn't go to university because of the Organization's stance and I regret it. However, I've worked fairly hard in a technically challenging and interesting field and I'm in the top 2% of incomes in my country. I could retire comfortably now but I choose not to do so. It's a huge mistake to blame lack of success on the Organization. Life is what you make of it, throw away the crutch.

• JT
    JT

I didn't go to university because of the Organization's stance and I regret it. However, I've worked fairly hard in a technically challenging and interesting field and I'm in the top 2% of incomes in my country. I could retire comfortably now but I choose not to do so. It's a huge mistake to blame lack of success on the Organization. Life is what you make of it, throw away the crutch. ######### while this is very true, one also has to take into consideration that every jw doesn't live in the WEST where opportunities are there for many regardless of sex, age, education,etc i know of many jw in many their world countries who had scholoarship offers when they were 17, yes education offers from thier village, to go to England and study, now they are 55 living in a small town in Kenya, with 4 kids- so this persons opportunities are less than someon living here in Washington DC with lots of DOD contracts, and high tech companies sometime when i see post like this while they are very positive and unlifting sometimes they fail to take into account the various places around the world were jw kids were impacted by these crazy dogmas at the most one has the Freedom to at least think for themselves, even if they may not be able to pursue their dreams to the fullest extent but we do want to make sure we don't wind up using wt as a crutch, but at the same time keeping in mind that folks circumstances are so different and varied around the world due to this crazy religion but i do think you for the positive thought,just don't forget those who are in circumstances that make it a "little harder" just my 2

• Fangorn
    Fangorn

My friend there is truth to what you say. However, I will add that to be successful I had to get up and leave my country for a long time. I agree, not everyone can do it but mostly we limit ourselves.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Stuck in a dead-end job because of obeying anti-higher education policy?

no. when i quit the borg, i also quit my well paying corporate IT job(s) that i had gone to school for while still in the borg.

it's not a universal phenomenon, but for some reason leaving the borg was a psychological catalyst in me for slowly making the transition from the having character of our society, to the being character. i haven't even been able to explain it until recently. but with that change went business/economic ambition, among other things.

the job i have now is 99% daily adventure, -1% human BS. you could say that it's not so much the job that has those properties, as it is my mind space that has those properties. when i lose employment for whatever reasons, i view it as one step closer to not being a cog in a machine. and so the stress of losing my job is usually very low, even though i could lose it any time. i love my job more than any job i have ever had, but i say bring it on!

welcome to the board dude,

tetra

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Tetra,

I've enjoyed reading your expressions for some time now. It goes without saying that you're operating on a whole different level than many of us. When I fulfill my family responsibilities, I hope to be able to implement more of your philosophy and attitude in my life. For now, I'm stuck being a cog.

With much respect and love dude,

Nvrgnbk

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

cool, thanks nvr!

and just to clarify, i am a cog in a machine too. i'm just not a very essential one. the journey is far from over for me as well.

peace out,

tetra

• 5go
    5go

Yeah tetra I love my nowhere job. It sucks that I might have to give it up to pay bills but it's what I love doing. I hope to go to school but I want to for art not money, Well maybe a few money courses.

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I've struggled because the local elders had sufficient pull with my father to stop me completing the final year of high school - and then from going to university.
    Had these bright boys kept out of it, I would have gone for a degree in Electrical Engineering - and a large company had already offered to sponsor me through the degree course.

The best I have been able to do since is managing a Power Station, located in a clearing in a malarial jungle - somewhere out on the other side of the proverbial "Black Stump."
    (Actually, on the other side of the Torres Strait!)

The job pays well enough - but there are reasons why that this is so:

(i) Like the time last December when one of my crew decided that my skull would look better with a 3 lb hammer driven clean through it!
    (ii) Or the time exactly one month later,when the duty Mechanical Fitter tried to wrap a crowbar around his supervisor's neck.
    (iii) Or the way in which two of the guys working the opposite roster to me have
    gone mad after a month or two on the job
    (I just hope the condition is not contagious!)

Even with this; at the time, there were those in the congregation who took exception to the fact that - at the age of 24 - I entered into an adult apprenticeship and learned the Electrical Trade.
    By then, 1975 had passed, but "The End" was still near!

After completing the Trade Course, my employer offered to sponsor me to do the Diploma Course in Electrical Engineering.
    I was keen to do this.
    However, by then I was married, with two children.
    My wife insisted (probably quite rightly) that "the children needed a father" - so that was the end of that!

No matter what the well-wishers may say, the best time to learn things is when you are straight out of school.
    It is extremely diffcult to pick things up later on - particularly when you have family responsibilities.

Meanwhile, in my present job, I frequently feel the lack of learning that the degree course would have provided - certainly a higher level than what is acquired by pulling cables and crimping Terminal Lugs!

And yes,I do resent the WTS - to the point of regarding them as a hazard in the community.

Jack.

PS:
    Lack of advanced learning is not a crutch - just reality.
    I would go to university tomorrow if I could find a way to support myself and my family for those four years needed to complete the Bachelor of Engineering Course:
    - but then again, I once believed in the Tooth Fairy as well!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    No matter what the well-wishers may say, the best time to learn things is when you are straight out of school.
    It is extremely diffcult to pick things up later on - particularly when you have family responsibilities.

Meanwhile, in my present job, I frequently feel the lack of learning that the degree course would have provided - certainly a higher level than what is acquired by pulling cables and crimping Terminal Lugs!

And yes,I do resent the WTS - to the point of regarding them as a hazard in the community.

Jack.

PS:
    Lack of advanced learning is not a crutch - just reality.
    I would go to university tomorrow if I could find a way to support myself and my family for those four years needed to complete the Bachelor of Engineering Course:
    - but then again, I once believed in the Tooth Fairy as well!

Succintly put Jack. I'm feeling your pain.

P.S.- Sounds like you could write a pretty interesting book.

Not feeling sorry for myself but sympathetic just the same,

Nvr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit