Stuck in a dead-end job because of obeying anti-higher education policy?

by nvrgnbk 49 Replies latest jw friends

• looking_glass
    looking_glass
    Some people have parents with the money to finance their education after hs, partially or completely, but most have to get grants, scholarships, and loans, besides working pt or ft to pay for it.

Although my mom had the money to pay for college and graduate school, she refused to pay for anything as she informed me it was a waste of money and my time. I ended up finishing under grad and grad, but only because my grandfather (yes the jw one) lent me the money interest free. I continued to pioneer and had a part time job and went to school, but took a break in between my assoc & bach. I look back at it now and think no wonder I feel burnt out at 37! The only thing I was allowed to do was live w/ my mom during my school years because I was pioneering, if I had not been, I have no doubt she would have kicked me out.

And like Blondie said a lot of other non-jws return to school. I have a GF that is 60 and she is finishing getting her BA. She went to school then got a good job w/ the CTA and was there for years and retired when she decided to return to school. She is actually going to the same college as her youngest kid. Needless to say, she is not allowed to acknowledge his presence if she should see him in the halls. Typical kid.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Fortunately I didn't listen to them though at the time (early 1980's) they were strongly discouraging university education, by that time I had realised they were a loveless society that one could not possibly rely upon in any way. The whole idea was to be self reliant with a strong socio-economic position.

I got very suspicious about the way they were hammering down university, it was as if they didn't want young dubs to acquire degrees and were manipulating the issue to discourage them. They also try to play with any spiritual aspirations/inclinations some people may have: give up an earthly goal for a lofty spiritual one why spend three years studying rather than serving jehovah as a pioneer, after all the new system is about to come and what use will degrees be then, they are in fact a waste of time.

How nice and cosy many dubs capable of university level education that opted for pioneering instead are now wondering about their future. Will the WTS help them out, no but jehovah will always richly reward those serving him (him ???) or do they mean serving the WTS multi billion dollar corporation?

Statistics tell us that 75% of the wealthy households are led by university educated persons.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

The WTBTS has always been threatened by higher education for the simple reasons that it teaches 'critical thinking' and 'independent thought'; two things the watchtower society hate.

I was never encouraged to progress in school despite being what teachers described as highly intelligent (I beg to differ LOL); I always wanted to pursue a career in law but from the outset I was told that I should pursue a more humble career serving jehovah the WTBTS and get a more manual job or pursue a skill at best. In the old KH library there was a law reports book on the shelf, considerably out of date but I found it really interesting at 13 years of age, reading about all sorts of crime and how the law punished (or didnt in some cases). Admittedly the legal rationale behind the reports made no sense whatsoever but the headnotes which went into detail about the facts leading upto the case were really interesting and spurred my interest in the law.

I was caught reading it some weeks later and got a lecture from an elder about reading only spiritual things when at meetings or afterwards; he asked me what I wanted to do when I left school and I mentioned that the law was interesting but didnt know how to go about pursuing that as an education. Naturally I was counselled that I should pursue a more wholesome career either as a skilled manual worker or otherwise in a dead end job. I got the usual bollocks about the system coming to an end (that was 19 years ago!)

He placed the book on the shelf and we went our seperate ways; at the next meeting he wasnt present (probably giving some talk somewhere else) so I went back into the library again. The book had gone and so had any other non spiritual book in the KH library.

It took me until I was 20 to realise exactly what I did actually want from my career and I began my fade around that time; I now work in the legal profession and have some considerable responsibility within my firm; I have managed to get what I originally wanted but only by the skin of my teeth.

For this reason and many more I hate the WTBTS!

Gary

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

I was also living through the early 80s period of the strong anti-education propaganda of the society. My parents never stressed it though, but they did not encourage me to pursue higher education either, which would have been the proper thing of parents to do. I did attend four years of school after compulsury nine year school. 3 years of "grammar school" and 1 year of trade school after that. I even had a grain of bad conscious attending those schools. I ended up graduating as the best student of all my classes. More than one of my teacher told me that was a scandal that my religion stood in the way of me pursuing more education, but I was an ardent, obedient witness at the time, able to stand for my "choice".... The normal thing for me would definitely had been to go to university, preferably abroad. That was my dream. I, however, refused to pioneer, although everybody though I was one... Otherwise, I was very theocratic. Today, I am working in the same place as I have done since I left school. Being a graphic designer, I do like my work, however, it is varied, creative and social. But, I of course, know that my life would have been different if not been in the organization in my formative years (I quit four years ago, DA this year). I never opted for a career while working either. Was so naive that I believed the crap. Discovered that everyone on the witness community around me did otherwise. They were making careers, making twice or three times more money a year than the average salary in the country, still preaching to the flock that they should be modest and not seek a place in the world, that is doomed to be destroyed. Those double-standards, I guess, in part, paved way for my exit, although to a minor degree. I would have left anyway... But I have decided not to become bitter. But the facts are there nevertheless: after a divorce, I live in a rather small, yet modern flat, taking care of three children half of the time. Get by, but nothing more.. But due to my upbringing: I am content having the necessary things of life and able to be on holiday once a year.... I have the ability to be pleased for very small things. That is a gift I appreciate...

• zenpunk
    zenpunk

Totally been there - after I got out I went to college while working and got my B.S. Degree from a private university with a 4.0 GPA. Took me 7 years and I was 32 when I graduated. And guess who came to my graduation - my jdub parents - proud as hell and all excited to get professional photos taken with me for the paper and the with the dean of the college (though they refused to put one dime toward my education). It was so hypocritical! After their moment in the limelight they went right back to shunning me.

• kid-A
    kid-A

No, but I was very lucky. My JW parents actually supported me all the way to my Doctoral degree. I worked part-time and summers for my tuition, but I had no problems with that.

I was in a very liberal congregation and really didnt get any flack about being in University. My parents are still active JWs and actually do take

tremendous pride in my accomplishments in neuroscience research. My mom even keeps a scrapbook with all my journal publications, newspaper articles, etc.

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

No, but I was very lucky. My JW parents actually supported me all the way to my Doctoral degree. I worked part-time and summers for my tuition, but I had no problems with that.

I was in a very liberal congregation and really didnt get any flack about being in University. My parents are still active JWs and actually do take

tremendous pride in my accomplishments in neuroscience research. My mom even keeps a scrapbook with all my journal publications, newspaper articles, etc.

Excellent, at least some families get it right! Gary

• atypical
    atypical

Little Drummer Boy - thanks for the encouragement, and congratulations on graduating. I bet it feels great when all that work pays off.

• Zico
    Zico

I am at the moment. But it won't stay this way my whole life!

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

I actually wanted to go to university when I left school but couldn't qualify for a student loan because my father made over the income bracket. According to the loan calculator my parents would be responsible for financing 50% of my tuition.

They didn't put any money aside for our education and didn't have any savings so I couldn't go. I had to wait 3 years after I graduated until I could apply for a load on my own merits. At that time I felt I lost too much time and wouldn't be able to afford the loan all on my own so I attended a 1 year college course instead.

That really limited my career options and I had to start with low paying jobs and work my way up. After 10 years I am finally making the same as my university educated peers, but only because I specialized in an uncommon aspect of my field.

My parents were never against my getting an education and were actually quite proud, it was more frustrating that they never thought that day would come and their inaction inadvertently stalled my career progress for several years.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit