Stuck in a dead-end job because of obeying anti-higher education policy?

by nvrgnbk 49 Replies latest jw friends

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Wow. Looks like I hit a nerve. I feel our mutual pain all too well. At least now we don't have to waste one more day on unrealistic promises that we'll die without seeing fulfilled.

• Little Drummer Boy
    Little Drummer Boy
    I'm trying to turn my bitterness into motivation. I started school about six months ago, and I am planning to complete at least a four year degree. It is tough to stay motivated while working full time, and it's discouraging to be 31 and just starting, but it's just something that I feel like I need to do.

Hey atypical,

Keep up the good work. I'm right there with ya. 36 and finishing my 3rd full year in a few months. It is a 2 year school but I have stayed to take extra classes that aren't required. It has been hard, but the time has gone by so much faster than I thought it would. It felt really great to get that letter in the mail this past semester saying I graduated. The summa cum laude honor was some nice icing on the cake. One of the few times in life that I felt I accomplished something and wasn't some complete loser. Too bad being in the borg put the education off for so long, but at least we're free from the borg now. Wife and I can start living again.

Anyway, even though it can be hard, stick with it and you'll be so proud of yourself. You won't regret it!

You can make it!

LDB

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

That is a real sore spot for me. In a conversation with my father I told him how watchtower had denied me an education. His response was "they never told you not to go. I never told you not to go". But he never encouraged me to go either.

I was bitter for a long time.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Yes and it's painful. Pre-75, college was not an option in my congregation nor in my household. Had I gone to college I would most likely been reproved and possibly disfellowshipped and certainly shunned. It was the moment for pioneering, selling your home and working soley for the society. I did what I had to as an 18 year old kid. I worked janitorial jobs while pioneering and continued on throughout my life in that way, while devoting my life to the Watchtower. I was over 50 when I left. The realization once I was out, that I AM going to die, that I AM going to get old - scared the crap out of me because in giving my life, my time, my energy, my youth and all my opportunities to the Society, I am left struggling. My entire family, those dedicated, zealous witnesses - still sacrifice everything for the Watchtower and I have no idea how they will survive as they all near 60 years of age. sammie

• winnie
    winnie

Yes. I was 'pulled' out of school without even being asked if that was what I wanted. Instead, I had to pioneer (it sucked!) and support myself with useless jobs.

Now I have completed my education, but it is hard to get work here because there are so many young ones here that are cheaper to hire than me. So...we make our own work and have done so for the past 6 years.

My biggest 'annoyance' (for lack of a better word) is that we were never encouraged to put any money into block of land/house etc as we would never need it! And now, at a later stage, it is very hard with no higher education and 'proper' employment, to be able to afford to 'jump in' as house and land prices are so high.

I know that I will never make that mistake with my kids. We have a bank account for them that we put money into every week for their education, because I won't let them get to my age and not be able to support themselves comfortably. I don't care what they decide to do, as long as they are trained in something. And as soon as they are able to, they will be encouraged to put some of their 'earnings' into real estate, as at least by the time they come to retire, they may have a chance of owning their own homes.

(and maybe a granny flat in the back yard for their dear old mum and dad! LOL)

But...that is a looong way off.

• uuus2b1
    uuus2b1

At 17 my best friend at school (and best man at my wedding) was a super teen witness and was largely the reason why I became a witness in the first place. While I was a quiet, secret meeting attender, he preached to everyone and anyone at school. Teachers as well as students... even conducting bible studies during lunch (I sat in on a few) Although he was pretty smart he felt that he did not need any more education than we were currently recieving because of how close we were to the "end of the system of things and of course the society's stand on higher learning. That was over 20 years ago, although we do not communicate much anymore, I saw him when I went back home (St. Lucia) about a year ago, at the memorial. (My mom insisted that I attend) he came in late because was rushing... of course because he had to pick up all his studies that promised to attend. When he saw me he gave me a half hearted smile (probably because he heard that I was not "doing too well" spiritually.Not sure how high up he was in the cong...(maybe just an elder) but to me he looked tired and burnt out...through the grapevine I found out that his wife was always sick and can't work, he still doesn't have a regular job, so he has to become really creative in trying to make ends meet to provide for their material needs...while still taking care of all congregation needs! Your question makes me wonder how much better he might have been able to provide for her if he had taken his education seriously back then.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

something no one ever seems to mention is vocational school - I never went to college, in fact turned down a really good scholarship. Although if the truth is told, I turned it down as much out of extreme boredom as I did because I was told to. Between meetings and school I was bored out of my mind and the thought of spending time in a classroom was enough to make me scream. However -- eventually I went to a trade school to learn a skill that would earn me more than minimum wage. I loved it, was successful, eventually became a teacher in the school I attended, and now I own and have been operating for 15 years my own trade school. I feel I do a real service in the world, because most of our students are middle-aged women with no skills trying to enter the work force or improve their skills, and when they finish our course, they are able to earn much more than minimum wage. So in the end, I no longer regret missing college, I was so lucky to go to a trade school and learn a useful skill. So, college isn't necessarily the only answer - learn a useful skill that is needed and get out there and make $$$.

• Kaput
    Kaput

A district overseer gave a talk a long time ago at a circuit assembly about "getting ahead in the world", and he said that "the world will use you, and abuse you, and then throw you away like a dirty rag." He didn't realize he was talking about his own religion.

• blondie
    blondie

Going to college is a challenge at any age. Some people have parents with the money to finance their education after hs, partially or completely, but most have to get grants, scholarships, and loans, besides working pt or ft to pay for it.

Some hs students don't do well in hs, don't get good grades, perhaps having no interest at the time. Some go to school on their parents' dime but consider the first 2 years party time and drop out.

Some hs students have a family to help support.

Is it over.........must you stay in a dead end job? No...but it will be work and sacrifice for you no matter if you were the 18 year old or the 30 year old.

I went back to school in my 30's. I went to the adult education office of my local university and vocational school. I found out that there were many scholarships out there for older students. I also found out that I could do my first 2 years at the voc school and then transfer to the university at a considerable lower cost.

I found many students my age, men and women, fathers and mothers, that were putting for that extra effort. Fathers looking after children while mom got her nursing degree at night. Mom looking after the kids while dad finished out that degree he partied away.

There were more non-JWs who had not pursued college than any JWs I ever met.

So it is only too late when you are dead.

BTW, a grandmother in her 80's got her degree at the university last summer; put on hold for motherhood.

Blondie

• thecarpenter
    thecarpenter

Well, I regret not finishing school when I first became a witness almost 25 years ago. I struggled job wise for a number of years while I pioneering and immersed myself with other WT cult activities, ignoring other important activities in my life. I did succeed though in eventually getting a good job (income, benefits, pension etc...) But honestly I feel I shortchanged myself in the process. I started school again a few months after my last meeting with the borg and what a great time I been having. I always loved school and even though I'm in my 40's, I plan to get my bachelors and probably apply to graduate school for my masters or PhD (maybe even medical school if I can maintain a high GPA ha, ha). I don't view school as a burden but as a joy and now I am living part of a dream.

Where I go from there, who knows but I am enjoying the ride.

'I know of no more encouraging fact than the unquestionable ability of man to elevate his life by conscious endeavor.' - Henry David Thoreau

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit