Counting/requesting time how is that based on the Bible?

by restrangled 15 Replies latest jw friends

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Matt 23:23-24 From the Message Bible

23-24 "You're hopeless, you religion scholars and Pharisees! Frauds! You keep meticulous account books, tithing on every nickel and dime you get, but on the meat of God's Law, things like fairness and compassion and commitment—the absolute basics!—you carelessly take it or leave it. Careful bookkeeping is commendable, but the basics are required. Do you have any idea how silly you look, writing a life story that's wrong from start to finish, nitpicking over commas and semicolons ?

abr

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

Did Christ request a certain amount of time every month for preaching to qualify for what he promised? Did he count those attending his sermons to justify what he was preaching? What about the so called "Pioneer" program? Did he lay down the amount of hours they needed to preach in order to get a special title? Did anyone have to attend a special school to preach in other lands and again get a special title? (Gilead)

Probably when they made up the Hehuse story they forgot to put that in. But its always ripe for editing.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Restrangled,

Sorry, my telling of this is somewhat out of sequence. I wrote the letter a short time (a few weeks)after the CO's visit. The letter was primarily my notification that I was resigning as an elder. I heard that this CO either stepped down or was removed some time after all this. He dropped the remarks based on my objection which was supported by the other elders. No, I never received a direct response from Brooklyn but the presiding elder did get a brief letter acknowledging my resignation.

• bonnzo
    bonnzo

hezekiah--hah!! my dad, a PO at the time, used this as an example of not listening closely to the speaker. you should have heard the pages turning in the kingdom hall!! until they realized what had happened!!

i agree with the Question. i don't get it either, which is why i never give the true amount of time i put in the ministry. it should, according to the bible, be between me and god. he knows, so i don't see any reason to tell any man.

i have another question that i'm going to start a thread on, probably a retread, but so what!

• zack
    zack

There is no scriptural basis for it. But its a business and they have to track their workers productivity. If God knows everything and sees

everything, why fill out a slip? Jesus, the apostles, early christians--- none of them did it. Just one more thread in their giant web of deceit.

• blondie
    blondie

Actually, the WTS has put it in black and white in its publications:

*** w57 2/15 p. 114 par. 4 How Jehovah’s Witnesses View Their Ministry ***

Being one of Jehovah’s witnesses means more than saying, ‘I am one of Jehovah’s witnesses.’ Are you witnessing? Regularly? All physically able have the responsibility to preach publicly and from house to house, as did Jesus, and in addition take advantage of all opportunities to witness to friends, neighbors, etc., while the physically infirm are privileged to witness to visitors, write letters, make telephone calls, and in other ways share in giving the mighty witness. Without exception each witness of Jehovah is aware of his obligations in this regard, as set out in Ezekiel 3:17-21. If one does not witness, he is not one of Jehovah’s witnesses. To call ourselves witnesses of Jehovah and then to refrain from witnessing, which is ministering, would be taking Jehovah’s name in a vain or worthless way. Never may that happen, and it will not so long as a proper view of the ministry is maintained.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit