Playing the lottery. Why does the WTBS ban it?

by quixote 20 Replies latest jw friends

• tweety
    tweety

yep, just got back from shopping and picked up my Mega Millions ticket. Why not!

Tweety

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Awww shhhhhhhhhhhhhhucks! I forgot!!!!!!!!!  
  • jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I can't remember the reason why as a JW I was told it was wrong to participate in the lottery, bingo and other such games. Does any one know the answer ?

If you had an extra dollar as a Witnoid you shouldn't have to be told to give it to the world wide witnessing work.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

I can't remember the reason why as a JW I was told it was wrong to participate in the lottery, bingo and other such games. Does any one know the answer ?

If I won, do you think I would be re-instated in the hopes I would share all that money with the dubs? As the WTBS is strapped for money, I might be asked for a donation for all those times I forgot to leave something in the KH boxes.

Q, that money is more well-spent on WTS projects (ie: Always put anything not spent on personal overhead in the contribution box at your local KH).

But YES, Q ! You actually WOULD be reinstated if you won the lottery. They'd surely look you up and stalk you till you gave in and came back.

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

the very first thing my ex did when df'd was play the lottery.he knew he'd win cuz thats the only way he'd get caught and get into more trouble.. he didnt win of course lol

• quixote
    quixote

I have good news and bad news:

The Good news is now I better know the reason the WTBS doesn't like it.Thank you all for helping me understand the reasoning. Don't waste your dollar on the lottery give it to us instead and we'll waste it for you.

After yesterday's Stock Market tumble I would say that is a gamble too !

The bad news: I DIDN'T WIN !!

Did you LonelySheep or NewBoy ?

Quixote.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

BA said it right. It's another of "mummy watchtower's" rules, that many, (not all, i've been to Vegas with a couple) of the drones follow, and allows them to think they are better than "wordly people."

Dismembered

• NYerGirl
    NYerGirl

You just reminded me to check my numbers for Tuesday's drawing. I know that no one won the big prize, but I'll take $100,000!

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep
    Did you LonelySheep or NewBoy ?

Nope....I didn't even have a ticket!

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

"Greed".

Then what would the WTS say if JWs horde up heaps of food on their plates at an all-you-can-eat buffet and stuff themselves as if there was no tomorrow while at the same time eyeing the line of food on the counter to make sure there was still more left?

I've seen it done all the time, myself included.

Wait! The elders are doing this too, so I guess counseling their brothers/sisters wouldn't apply.

Sorry if I took this topic off tangent.

Alligator Wisdom (Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously by WTS standards)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit