Playing the lottery. Why does the WTBS ban it?

by quixote 20 Replies latest jw friends

• quixote
    quixote

The Megamillions in New Jersey (where I work) and other states is up to U.S.$260,000,000. Got my ticket, my hopes and my dream.

I can't remember the reason why as a JW I was told it was wrong to participate in the lottery, bingo and other such games. Does any one know the answer ?

If I won, do you think I would be re-instated in the hopes I would share all that money with the dubs? As the WTBS is strapped for money, I might be asked for a donation for all those times I forgot to leave something in the KH boxes.

Quixote

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Because it's fun?!

It is considered gambling.

LS~who will buy her tickets tonight.

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Just another unscriptural prohibition from the GB.

BA

• quixote
    quixote

Because it's fun?!

LS: Didn't think of that ! Why do they take the fun out of everything ? Hope we get to split it !

BA: Just another unscriptural prohibition from the GB. How many does that make ? 1001?

• hubert
    hubert

Hey, Don't buy that lottery ticket !!!!

That dollar could go into the "world wide work" fund.

(That's why they don't want you to buy those lottery tickets. Same reason why they don't want you to donate to charities.....except the "world wide work", of course.

Hubert

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Because the 1 dollar, 5 dollars, 20 dollars you bet would be much better spent by the watchwanker bauble and clock society.

DONATE DONATE DONATE.

• new boy
    new boy

Greetings my friend.

I have some really BAD news for you.................I bought the winning ticket Saturday.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Didn't they call it greediness? Playing the stock market is ok, of course, because you benefit only when the company you invest in does well. But with gambling, you only win if other people lose.

Though the stock market folks know there's plenty to be made in companies that fail, too.

I never caught on to exactly how it's "greedy" to gamble, but that's the line they push. And of course they tie spiritism into it with the "God of good luck" bit.

Dave

• return visitor
    return visitor

This has been a particular pet peve of mine. Since gambling is not prohibited in the bible, the WTS prohibits gambling by saying that if you gamble you are doing it because you are greedy and greed is a sin.

Now I have a problem with this on many levels. First of all why is it that everybody that gambles is greedy? If so then isn't investing your money in the stock market to make money without working for it greedy as well, and dosen't the WTS invest millions?

Secondly how does this sin rise to the level of a disfellowshiping offense? Nowhere in the bible does it say to shun greedy people?

Just my thoughts

RV

• blondie
    blondie

Older JWs used to feel that investing in the stock market was gambling...notice how the WTS has changed their view now that they invest in stocks.

*** g01 6/8 p. 30 From Our Readers ***

I disagree with the assertion that investing in the stock market is not putting one’s trust in "the god of Good Luck." (Isaiah 65:11) Putting one’s money into a volatile system that operates entirely at random is gambling.

P. B., United States

Admittedly,

investinginthestockmarketcancarryahighdegreeofrisk.And,aswithanybusinessventure,randomfactorsareinvolved.However,itwouldnotbeaccuratetosaythattradingstocksisgambling.Gamblinginvolvestheexchangeofmoneywithoutanyexchangeofrealgoods.Astock,however,representsanactualshareintheownershipofabusiness.Tradingstockscanthusbeviewedasthebuyingandsellingoflegitimategoods.—ED.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit