Mental condition of Jehovah's Witnesses, healthy or not ?

by Handsome Dan 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DannyHaszard
    DannyHaszard
    The emotional and psychological damage this cult does to children is horrible.------------Danny, is this book written by a current JW or one that left the org due to all of the demon problems?

I did searches but found no commentary, book pub in 2004 no way the control freak WBTS would allow this so I suspect she is an exjw now?

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

Thanks, I wouldnt want to say anything too negative especially if she left the JW's and then wrote this book. On the other hand she may have been a JW at that time the book was published and disfellowshipped since then.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Thanks for your comments folks I'm going to copy most of these to use as a reference latter on, I'm especially in agreement with that psychiatric report of JWS, it follows through with

everything I've observed from them. I appreciate all your comments, ...... what shameful things men can do

• Save My Soul
    Save My Soul

In high school, despite being a pioneer, I said I wanted a big family and giant hose. Naturally, I was called to the elders in a private meeting. I was showing by my attitude that I did not believe that the end was close. I should reach out because the time left is soo short. I said I wanted to raise a family and I would need to support them. I would never be an elder, because I did not want the STRESS. I was labeled as being WEAK becasue of the stress comment. The elders said it was a privellege and no stress was involved. The entire circuit knew about my comment.

Three of my former friends are now elders. One told me that 80% of his hall was on prozac and the like to cope with depression. Everyone is depressed. One friend stepped down, because of stress and depression. He could not handle work, 3 children and a nagging wife. Now, everyone has children and are trying to buy their 1st home in their 40's. I told one, WOW, why didn't you buy years ago like me. He said he was a pioneer-elder, but now regrets his decision. He wife is now on drugs because of depression because they never planned for retirement or saved cash. The end is / was too close to do that.

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M
    So this bacons the questions does the WTS. in it's teachings cause mental instability in its followers.

An alternate question is,"does the teachings of the WT attract those that are already mentally instable?"

The Wt ministry by design is looking for those helpless souls who are "sighing and crying." These people have lost all hope in modern society.

The solution the society offers is to hang on for a few more years and the "new order" will solve all your problems.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Think of it as all those germs JWs come in contact with, that lurk in some of those filthy homes they walk into when out in service. I walked into many a strange and dirty home when I was a dub. Scary things that bump into your lungs and skin.

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Handsome Dan, are you related to Lancelot Link?

How do you feel when told , you are not good enough, you are not doing enough, you "probably" wont survive Armageddon, you are worthless, luckily you have an anointed class that can help you as long as you are kind to them, how do you feel when 5 times a week you are told can you do more, can you reach out, can you do better,

How can anyone with this barrage of negativity keep up a good mental attitude?

Impossible. There mental position and dispostion is brought about because of all the brow beating they take, no one can stand that kind of negativity, no one.

abr

• DJK
    DJK

I can't relate to DFed people parting from the JWs and the pressure they may have recieved. I can't relate to pressure from parents to baptise. Because I purposely never absorbed biblical teachings I think my father felt I never qualified for baptism. That did hurt in some way. The embarrasment of field service work hurt emensely. Being isolated from the vast majority of human beings that I was forced to treat as goats hurt even more. Being treated by human beings as a pimple on thier ass hurt twice as much. Being disassociated from my mother who was never a JW before she died, an unhealable hurt. Disassociated from my father who is still a JW, PRICELESS.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

Who are we to judge?

Whenever we substitute the actual presence of reality with conceptual words and thoughts from a book or belief system, we have become delusional. This is certainly not just a JW problem, as they are just a branch on the tree of Christian make-believe.

Fantasy can be healthy and fun when we see and know it for what it is; however, generally, most of us, and especially the most religious of us, have eyes but can not see or differentiate between what is real and what is myth.

It's kind of a catch-22. The more blind we are to the silent, bottomless depths of the real and present moment of reality, the more we rely upon and give credence to the confines of fantasy: in this case tribal stories and deities. We die, never knowing what it is to be alive and truly present with what IS.

We put bold warning stickers on cigarettes, we should do the same with every Bible.

j

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

I'd be willing to bet that if a brain sample of most practicing JWS were conducted, a very large percentage would show alcohol saturation and/or prozac and other anti-depressant abuse.

Wouldn't be surprised at all.

That's one vote for "not healthy" from Brother Apostate.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit