Mental condition of Jehovah's Witnesses, healthy or not ?

by Handsome Dan 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader
    We put bold warning stickers on cigarettes, we should do the same with every Bible

Why stop here, why don't we put bold warning stickers on our posts?

Respectfully

abr

• greendawn
    greendawn

It depends how seriously they take the WTS demands, most of the ones I knew didn't have any problems and they were all pretty normal people, only a few kids didn't fare well because they had very strict parents. The rest saw the WTS as a social club mainly. But as I read here often, at least in the USA, there is a serious depression problem in many congos.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Something else that comes to mind is the WTS. teachings have a downward pessimistic viewpoint on everything mankind is trying to improve upon, inadvertently folding up their hands

and do nothing to help the needy or sick. Their contributions to society in regards to education or health issues is nonexistent even though they have been holding millions dollars in their bank

accounts for decades, is this the way true Christians should behave......umm ( for example when Christ came upon a sick person did he ask them first what religion they belong to before he

healed them ? ) How hypocritical they are though when they themselves need medical attention and then want and aspect the very best. But I suppose when your trying impress to the public

how this old system of things is so bad this would negate making any effort to make it any better. Quite a selfish mindset indeed and certainly not to be considered in any way humanistic in

value. Its abhorrent and shameful the way the WTS. treat their subjective salves and the general public for that matter but I suppose power is power. I never found people that were

so arrogant with ignorance to have much of an outstanding charactor anyway.

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas

abr:

Why stop here, why don't we put bold warning stickers on our posts?

Respectfully

abr

I understand how when we come to identify with our beliefs we are easily offended when they are not supported by others; however, it's not respectful or necessary to jump to the conclusions you stated.

Funny thing is, is that I probably view you much higher than you view yourself. Be at peace, abr. I'm not attacking you; but rather revealing what I honestly feel are harmful beliefs. You, are not your beliefs.

j

• done4good
    done4good
    I have seen many a JW w/ mental problems, some of which were family members. I have wondered about this for a long time, in my human mind I have come to this conclusion: 1) they either start out w/ having mental problems and are looking for something better and are susceptible to the JW or 2) they are fine until they are in the religion for an extended period of time and are worn down mentally by all the "you are not worthy" and "the end is soon to come" brainwashing (but since they will not allow their members to seek therapy, the disease of the mind just continues)

It's a vicious cycle. Typically, many who are unstable are attracted to the WTS, (my anuts, uncle, mother, etc). However, their conditions usually only worsen, (all are very bad alcoholics now, and mother dead from DUI). Thier children, including myself, suffered from clinical depression from exposure to all of the negative energy the WTS created. I'm now healthy, now that I am out.

It's the same typical problem eveywhere in the WTS.

j

• jam
    jam

I suffer from ptsd when i became a jw. The yesr 1970. I had recently come from viet nam. I did not know it at the time. I did not get treatment until I got out of the org.,1998. In the 60,s and 70,s there was a lot of heavy dranking in the org.So with the drinking trying to cope with the demands of org. and a family of six, it took its toll. A breakbown 1998. Today I am 100% better. Many people come in with mental condition.

• greendawn
    greendawn

"exposure to all of the negative energy the WTS created" That describes the reality of the situation very well, there is some kind of mysterious and very powerful negative energy in that org and I put it down to the demonic influences from the days that Rutherford and Russell meddled in the occult.

• Handsome Dan
    Handsome Dan

Good to hear your doing fine now Jam I'm glad you mentioned alcohol abuse within witnesses this is something that should by brought to attention.

I've seen a lot alcohol use when I was a Jw and not just among teenagers but also by a great many mature adults and the reason for this could possibly be the repressive nature of

the religion to its followers. Understandably so since this is one vice they can actually partake in and liberally do. So the booze floweth frequently at the Jw home. This may

temporary calm some anxieties but guess what the following day they're confronted with the same emotional problems, so it may become a medicine that never cures.

There was a Jw family that I knew that had two young teens that both had serious drug problems which eventually broke up the family, last I heard of the boy was he was in a psychiatric

hospital, the oddest thing about this stiuation was the parents are nice people, but they had a persistent idea that the WTS. was all that was needed to bring up their children and any imposing

responsibility in child rearing was placed on the shoulders of the WTS., not a good idea in my opinion. Parents have got to realize that the fear of god is not the only thing thats going to turn

that child into a responsible healthy adult, its a falsity that never seems to work.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

I think Honesty and Penny2 described the situation very well.

• mcsemike
    mcsemike

As far as illness and attracting JW's, it sometimes works both ways. Becoming or being a JW will cause the stress that leads to depression and other illnesses. But often those who are already suffering from problems are attracted to the JW's because they offer instant happiness and everyone is "all smiles" with new people. It becomes a vicious cycle. It can be difficult to determine which came first.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit