by TopHat 29 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• TopHat
    TopHat

http://www.livescience.com/history/070226_ap_jesus_film.html

Archaeologists and Clergy Slam Jesus Film By Marshall Thompson
    Associated Press
    posted: 26 February 2007
    01:19 pm ET

JERUSALEM (AP)—Archaeologists and clergymen in the Holy Land derided claims in a new documentary produced by the Oscar-winning director James Cameron that contradict major Christian tenets. "The Lost Tomb of Christ,'' which the Discovery Channel will run on March 4, argues that 10 ancient ossuaries—small caskets used to store bones—discovered in a suburb of Jerusalem in 1980 may have contained the bones of Jesus and his family, according to a press release issued by the Discovery Channel.

One of the caskets even bears the title, "Judah, son of Jesus,'' hinting that Jesus may have had a son. And the very fact that Jesus had an ossuary would contradict the Christian belief that he was resurrected and ascended to heaven.

Most Christians believe Jesus' body spent three days at the site of the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem's Old City. The burial site identified in Cameron's documentary is in a southern Jerusalem neighborhood nowhere near the church.

In 1996, when the BBC aired a short documentary on the same subject, archaeologists challenged the claims. Amos Kloner, the first archaeologist to examine the site, said the idea fails to hold up by archaeological standards but makes for profitable television.

"They just want to get money for it,'' Kloner said.

The claims have raised the ire of Christian leaders in the Holy Land.

"The historical, religious and archaeological evidence show that the place where Christ was buried is the Church of the Resurrection,'' said Attallah Hana, a Greek Orthodox clergyman in Jerusalem. The documentary, he said, "contradicts the religious principles and the historic and spiritual principles that we hold tightly to.''

• V
    V

Panic!

• William Penwell
    William Penwell

Yes I was just reading about this film. So what is the big deal? Someone comes up with theories to disprove the gospel theories of Jesus existence and it is a big deal.

Will

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

The name Jesus was so common in the first century that this could be anybody's son.

In fact the hebrew name is more like Joshua or "Josh".

HB

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Let's look at the credibility of these critics ... hmm, are they the same ones who believe the world is less then 10,000 years old and made in 6 days? Hmm, interesting that most of the ones mentioned in the article are "clergymen". Go figure.

Kwin

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    In 1996, when the BBC aired a short documentary on the same subject, archaeologists challenged the claims. Amos Kloner, the first archaeologist to examine the site, said the idea fails to hold up by archaeological standards but makes for profitable television.

You can always tell when it's Lent season..... something always controversial about the ressurection of Christ.

• TopHat
    TopHat

Cameron's sensationalist put together, reminds me of Hiraldo Rivera and his 'Capone Vault' let down.

The Mystery of Al Capone's Vault, which was broadcast live on April 21, 1986. The two hour special (including commercials) was greatly hyped as potentially revealing great riches or bodies on live television. This included the presence of a medical examiner should bodies be found and agents from the Internal Revenue Service to collect any of Capone's money that may be discovered. When the vault was finally opened the only things found inside were dirt and several empty bottles including one Geraldo claimed was for moonshinebathtub gin. Despite the ending the special became the most-watchedsyndicated television special with an estimated audience of 30,000,000. Rivera later wrote of the event in his 1991 autobiographyExposing Myself that "My career was not over, I knew, but had just begun. And all because of a silly, high-concept stunt that failed to deliver on its titillating promise." The term "Al Capone's vault" has become slang for a heavily expected event with disappointing results.

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Didn't they say they also found one just besides that was engraved with Mary magdalene's name too? I love that, they can't stop talking about it over here.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    which the Discovery Channel will run on March 4,

I find that so many people now recognize that Discovery Channel in particular, and sometimes mainline tv , are only in it for ratings. Their claims are viewed with great skepticism

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Wasn't Dan Brown not so long ago trying to convince us that Mary Magdalene was buried in France? Now, she's supposed to be buried in Jerusalem. Haven't scholars been telling us over and over that there is no evidence for a historical Jesus? Now, all of a sudden someone claims they have found his tomb and those of his extended family. Wonder if the scholars will be convinced. The archaelogist who discovered the site is not so convinced.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit