What did you have to dispose of when you became a dub?

by exwitless 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwitless
    exwitless

Instead of selling them on ebay, he chose to destroy them so as to keep them from causing a bad influence on other people. What a sap!!!

Yep, that's the "good" JW thing to do. In fact, LDB at first said to the guy we were studying with that he was going to sell all his "bad" music CDs; however, he was told clearly that selling them wasn't the appropriate way to dispose of them. After all, why would you want to make those "unacceptable" CDs available to anyone else? He was told the only way to properly dispose of such items was to destroy them.

I remember a "sister" in our hall saying how she threw away all their Christmas ornaments, some of which were her mom's (who had died of cancer a few years before). She wouldn't even give them to her non-JW sister to have. What a waste!

It's sad to hear about sentimental things being tossed like garbage, like the batman cape and Star Wars figures. I can't imagine how hard it must be on children who's parents become JWs after the kids have already acquired things like that, and are used to celebrating birthdays and holidays, only to have it thrown out like a moldy loaf of bread.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

hmmmm....lemme see. I gave up thinking for myself and my children's best interests and planning for the future, along with the freedom to associate with anyone I pleased, view or read anything I pleased, and say anything I pleased. I also gave up a lot of my time which could have been used more productively.

As for the material aspect of that question, I was an exotic dancer. I gave up my "hot" clothes and shoes, dancing, great music and the cannabis plant in my bedroom. (sigh)

Frannie

• MinisterAmos
    MinisterAmos

My stupid wife threw out a $700 DD Ranch Wear jacket that I bought her because it had some rhinestones that may or may not have formed a cross.

I just found out about this and am still debating whether or not to throw her ass out!

• Marcel
    Marcel

i was raised in the truth, but when i got baptized i threw away great computer games i owned (secretly).
    such as Ultima VII and Ascendancy. i had an orginal copy of Ultima VII on floppy disk! i still want it back :( one of the greatest games of that era.

today im still a jw, but im no longer affected by any "laws". i buy and keep everything i want since years. in fact i stopped throwing things to the trash for nothing 4 years after my first attempt. im baptized since 11 years.

• cultswatter
    cultswatter

I was born into the dub hood so I guess I gave up a normal life

• Caine
    Caine

1. sex

2. my thinking ability

3. sanity

4. individuality

• Caine
    Caine

oh forgot...

5. my beard

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I had a S&W .357 Magnum that I took extra-special care of, I sold it to the gunshop while
    I was studying. It had come into high popularity, so I actually made money on the deal.
    The dub elder asked me why I sold it instead of destroying it. I said "It's something registered
    to me, it would still be listed in my possession if I did not transfer ownership." That satisfied
    him. I wish I paid more attention to the strange demands of the cult then.

I actually got rid of everything I owned a little later, except for a single bag of clothing. I had
    been military- got out of the military- and had to leave everything behind (long story with nothing
    to do with the JW's).

• dobbie
    dobbie

My stephen king books,Gun and roses records and similar ones, vampire films - and then i had to on on stage as the local assembly to tell them all how happy i was to chuck it all out!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

When I became a witness at age 18, I gave up a huge Marijuana habit, smoking, drinking excessively, thinking ability

abr

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit