What did you have to dispose of when you became a dub?

by exwitless 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• exwitless
    exwitless

Little Drummer Boy's comment on the D&D thread made me think about this:

When I became one of the borg, I threw out about $600 worth of pnp materials and books, a fact that I was proud of at the time and which makes me sick now because almost all of it is irreplaceable

He also threw away who knows how many CDs that were "bad" for dubs; also threw away a framed picture of a dragon that was really cool, and maybe some cool rock band t-shirts.

I don't remember having to physically throw away a lot of stuff, but I had to resign from the citizen's band I was in (played the clarinet), threw away my good friends from high school, etc.

What did you all throw away when you became dubs that you regret now?

• Farkel
    Farkel

: What did you all throw away when you became dubs that you regret now?

Thinking. I was pretty much born into it, so I was braindead from birth. It took me a long while to claim my right to think for the first time. It was worth the effort.

Farkel

• Spectre
    Spectre

Since my mom became a dub when I was about 5, I had to give up my Batman cape.

• Xena
    Xena

I remember my mom getting rid of some stuff when we became dubs. One was a replica of Da Vinci's "The Last Supper", another was a jade Buddha. hehehe but she kept the waterpipe cause she didn't know what it was.

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

My normal childhood was disposed of for me as I was born a jw. My access to normal friendships was disposed of for me as I was born a jw. My want to play sports was disposed of for me as I was born a jw.

Do I need to go on?

• parakeet
    parakeet

I was in my early teens when my parents started dragging me and my sibs to the meetings and fs. I had to give up my friends, my freedom to think for myself, and most of my youth.

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

When I was first baptized, I didn't have a lot to get rid of. I gave my computer to my brother in law since I was warned that keeping it could make me leave jehovah. That was in 1990. I became inactive in 1992 though and by the time I became active again in 1998, I had accumulated quite a collection of computer games, CDs, and books.

Your comments about destroying things resonated very strongly with me because when I started going back to the kingdom hall, I had to throw away so much. I remember breaking the CDs because I was concerned with these evil games getting into someone else's hands.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Life, family, freedom to think for myself, fun, the enjoyment of childhood, relatives, hell, the list goes on forever.

• Highlander
    Highlander
    I remember breaking the CDs because I was concerned with these evil games getting into someone else's hands.

That sounds like my brother. He's a born again J-dub, having gone through a wild faze and now back to being a fanatic. A few years ago he purged all his 'bad' movies and cd's.

Instead of selling them on ebay, he chose to destroy them so as to keep them from causing a bad influence on other people. What a sap!!!

• metaspy
    metaspy

I was more or less raised as a JW. However, my mom got baptised when I was 5. So, until then we had "bad" things - especially since my dad never was a JW. When he left, so did the 'bad' things.

Complete set of StarWars action figures in MINT condition. (I could be retired right now)
    A few NES games that were considered questionable.
    a few hundred G.I. Joes
    I feel like there were other things, but I cant think of them right now...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit