Favorite Quotes

by Abandoned 139 Replies latest social entertainment

• tijkmo
    tijkmo

its not the words of your enemies you remember...its the silence of your friends

surrounded by riches surrounded by beauty..with no-one to share them what use are they to me

..and you list all the qualities that you despise - and you realise - you're describing yourself

happy ever after just means it hasnt ended yet

(pithy and succinct brother apostate)

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I've always liked one attributed to (I think) CT Russell when asked why he didn't answer his detractors. he said "if you have a long way to go, you can't stop to kick every dog that barks at you." And the Dalai Lama said, when asked about what makes a religion a good religion, that the purpose of religion is to teach people how to live more noble lives, and if a religion does that, it's a good religion. And Alexandra David Neel asked one of her teachers about people who couldn't do the short path meditations she was learning - if the short path meditations are too difficult, what is a person to do? Her teacher said, "well, then, they have to try to live a noble life every day." I like that - no doctrine, no control freaks, no ritual, no special clothing, or special buildings, no hierarchy, just try to live a noble life every day.

• Warlock
    Warlock

"THE CONSEQUENCE OF YOUR FREEDOM OF SPEECH, IS MY FREEDOM OF SPEECH"-WARLOCK.

Warlock

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

"Never let your alligator mouth overload your hummingbird behind." - my mother

"An ounce of pretention is worth a pound of manure." - Shelby's father in "Steel Magnolias"

"Some people would see them as risk-takers, but to not pursue your dreams, that would be the greatest risk of all." (unknown author)

• Warlock
    Warlock

"There is no bigger fool, than an educated fool"- someones grandma.

Warlock

• SacrificialLoon
    SacrificialLoon

I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts

• JK666
    JK666

“Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful!” Friedrich Nietzsche

“A lie told often enough becomes the truth.” Lenin

“Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.” Karl Marx

”Knowledge is power.” Sir Francis Bacon

“Communism doesn't work because people like to own stuff.” Frank Zappa

“When the Lie gets so big, it can’t be the Truth anymore.” Me

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours - Stephen Roberts" Oooooh, good one!

• Brother Apostate
    Brother Apostate

Positive Thinking:

If you think you are beaten, you are;
    If you think you dare not, you don’t.
    If you’d like to win, but think you can’t,
    It’s almost a cinch you won’t.
    If you think you’ll lose, you’re lost,
    For out in the world we find
    Success begins with a fellow’s will;
    It’s all in the state of mind.

If you think you’re outclassed, you are;
    You’ve got to think high to rise.
    You’ve got to be sure of yourself before
    You can ever win a prize.
    Life’s battles don’t always go
    To the stronger or faster man;
    But soon or late the man who wins
    Is the one who thinks he can.

- WALTER D. WINTLE,

"The Man Who Thinks He Can."—Poems That Live Forever, comp. Hazel Felleman, p. 310 (1965).

• Abandoned
    Abandoned

One more for today:

"Few things help an individual more than to place responsibility upon them and to let them know that you trust them." - Booker T. Washington

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit