Should Britain Build a £100m Mosque for the Olympics?

by LittleToe 25 Replies latest social current

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

I'm puzzled. Need more info, please. Is this the same proposed mosque as in this article ( http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,,1879728,00.html ) ?

If so, then it is not for the Olympics but near the Olympics area, it appears.

And is Britain actually being asked to pay for it now? Funding sources were uncertain in the above article but there was no mention at all of British tax-payers being a possible source.

~Merry

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

If not a penny of taxpayers' or Olympic money go into it, and the Muzzies spend their own hard-earned, then go for it!

• uwishufish
    uwishufish

Brooklin is already in line and asking for a fully funded Branch Office.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Merry:
    Great minds think alike. I was puzzled and doing a little more background research and I just came up with the same Observer article, as well.

I have the following lines of investigation:

• What are the exact sources of funding (e.g. do they include some kind of rebate or contribution from the national coffers)?
    • Is there some negotiation over the compulsory purchase of some of the land for the Olympic stadium?
    • Are there suspicious backers / proposers of the project?

I'd hate to think I'd been duped by some anti-islamic propaganda (and apologise in advance of the remote possibility of that being the case), but either way there are some significant questions on both sides.

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene
    LT: there are some significant questions on both sides

Yes, there do seem to be.

I first heard about this a while back on BBC America news (I think), and they were interviewing various people on both sides of the question.

From what I understood, the land has already been purchased by the Muslim group that wants to build the mega-mosque. They just need permission to build. I don't know it they have the money to do so yet or not, but they may well be having to wait on that until they get the go-ahead to build.

I will be interested to see if you find any of the answers to the questions you listed, or if there are any concrete answers yet to be had.

~Merry

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

If they're building it with taxpayer money, they should make sure it is part mosque, part synagogue, part UU fellowship hall, part Catholic church and part every other religion, denomination or non-denomination that taxpayersbelong to. You know, make everybody happy. Can't you see it now? . . . Catholics next to JWs next to hippydippy Unitarians next to jihdists next to atheists next to agnostics next to Buddhists, next to everyone . . .Now wouldn't that better represent the purposes and goals of the Olympics anyway:

"According to the Olympic Charter, established by Pierre de Coubertin, the goal of the Olympic Movement is to contribute to building a peaceful and better world by educating youth through sport practised without discrimination of any kind and in the Olympic spirit, which requires mutual understanding with a spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play."

http://www.olympic.org/uk/organisation/index_uk.asp

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

what sport are they intending to play there... Bobbing for virgins.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Put the money into healthcare!

Ian

• Clam
    Clam

A £100 million Kingdom Hall would be better.

I was going to say what Ian said. Let's have a hospital instead. If only they'd built a "Millenium Hospital" with all the money, instead of the pointless crappy Dome.

Clam

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

By the phrasing I understand 'with piublic money', in which case yes, but only if I get a Gylosque; a structure erected in rural solitutde for spiritual pursuits comprising a Mansion house in 100 acres with a swimming pool, a menage and twenty loose-boxes, all surrounded by a 12' wall with raor wire on top.

So no then. A silly idea.

With private money? None of my business, no more than should the next church, Gudwara, Synagoge, Mithratic Cave or Santa's Grotto be built. That's what planning laws are for.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit