Do you agree that, if there are errors in the bible, then it's all wrong?

by JH 59 Replies latest watchtower bible

• free2beme
    free2beme

Here is the thing, the Bible is at its best, a History book. The reason it conflicts, is because it did not have the one author people in religion say. It is a combining of books with what people feel is a common theme, yet we can not ignore that there were several books taken out, that were accepted by early Christians in history. So to look for errors in the Bible, is to accept that you know it is not God's word. Which is right, it is the word of many men.

• startingover
    startingover

The whole idea that the best way the all powerful creator of everything in existance could come up with to communicate with man is through this instrument called the bible is ridiculous.

Good stuff Terry!

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

A few errors could be due to translations in the past (but I agree with Terry that this is a very weak excuss)

But there is not about a few errors, it is about the basic wrong of some of the ideas in the bible.
    it is save to say that such a book can't be insprired.

that does not mean that the opposite of everyword is right....

• 5go
    5go

Holy books ( buy the way, there is a scam called a sacred book scam ) are in generaly are screwy to me but the christian bible is the worst I mean two thirds of the way through it, God says "Ahhh ! Screw the first two thirds and This is what I intended from the begining".

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    Do you agree that, if there are errors in the bible, then it's all wrong? In other words, if you can find a few errors in the bible, will you throw away the whole notion of the bible being "inspired by God" Example: If you find any error in the bible, will it take away the notion that killing is wrong, or stealing is wrong, So where do you draw the line, and accept certain biblical teachings and reject other biblical teachings?

The answer to your question entirely depends on what stance you have towards the Bible to begin with.

If you already believe that the Bible is 100% the literal Word of God (the fundamentalist stance), you will likely minimize the impact of errors and contradictions by favoring ad hoc harmonizations, denials of said errors (e.g. by adopting any possible explanation that resolves the error, no matter how likely it is), or even setting them aside for the time being. This is the (polemic) stance taken by the Society and many apologists.

If you already believe that the Bible is not the Word of God, but contains God's Word, if you regard it as a book that mediates religious truth through the fallible and errant word of man, or if you interpret its stories in more allegorical than literal terms, then you will likely will not be bothered very much by actual errors and contradictions contained therein, or insist on historicity or inerrancy; you would probably be more inclined to admit the existence of errors and contradictions if you have no vested interest in protecting the Bible against them.

If you have no religious interest in the Bible but value it as a significant achievement of literature and as a cultural artifact, then you similarly would not be disturbed by errors and contradictions. Or you may find value in the contradictions themselves as illustrating the growth of ideas, the intellectual development of theology or the interpretation of older religious traditions. You may find moral lessons in its stories and philosophy (as you might in other parts of world literature), enjoyment in its poetry and literary art of its narratives, historical value in its historiographies (judged with the same critical eye that one would apply to other ancient exemplars of this genre), and respect the Bible for what it is.

If you not only have no religious interest in the Bible but if you view it in negative terms, if you regard it as a false book that has enabled the control and exploitation of other people, if you view it not on its own terms but according to its subsequent sociopolitical role in world history, if you view it as a blindfold that has kept people from reason and/or science, etc., then you will likely find value in the errors and contradictions as the very means through which the authority and relevance of the Bible may be questioned. You would take a (polemical) stance that makes much of these errors and which would give little benefit of the doubt to instances in which the evidence is less clear. A polemic stance may also lead you to accept misinformation or any possible explanation that puts the Bible in the worst possible light, no matter how likely it is.

Bear in mind that within each of these, there are as many nuanced views and permutations of these stances as there are people. But these seem to be some of the major stances that people take on the Bible, and they handle the import of errors in different ways.

• breeze
    breeze

I think I can simplify this matter.

God is a Supreme being and created the World, right?

If he can't deliver a clearer more understandable book than the Bible then I have doubts about his existance.

There is just too much about the Bible that doesn't fit together without faith and that word is way too overused in my opinion . I see too much concrete evidence that I doubt that God had anything to do with writing the Bible.

Don't misunderstand I believe that God is real but the Bible can't be accepted as his creation. If he created the body and the solar system why would he have designed a book that is so contradicting?

BREEZE

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

That was one great piece, Terry. A Master piece!

I can only wish I had first read something like that in 1955.

Fats

• anewme
    anewme

I no longer believe that The Father of the Universe talks to any man.
    If I did believe that he talked to Moses or Jesus, then why not Muhammed, Russel, Joseph Smith and Rutherford?
    I just dont believe it.

What I do believe is that some persons possess very strong charisma and wisdom.

For its time tested wisdom the Bible is valuable.

Its history is valuable, but maybe no more than the histories of other nations.

I think one can live just fine without knowlege of the Bible and its history.

Living within the parameters of ones own culture and society and getting along is enough to count as a successful life in my opinion.

Anewme

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

If you already believe that the Bible is not the Word of God, but contains God's Word, if you regard it as a book that mediates religious truth through the fallible and errant word of man...

If you have no religious interest in the Bible but value it as a significant achievement of literature and as a cultural artifact, ... you may find value in the contradictions themselves as illustrating the growth of ideas, the intellectual development of theology or the interpretation of older religious traditions.

If you not only have no religious interest ... view it in negative terms, ... as a false book that has enabled the control and exploitation of other people, if you view it not on its own terms but according to its subsequent sociopolitical role in world history, ... then you will likely find value in the errors and contradictions as the very means through which the authority and relevance of the Bible may be questioned.

Leolaia, thanks for laying this out. My view of the Bible - and, in fact, of all sacred texts - ranges among these three positions. I believe whatever-god-there-is talks to us through the same parts of our brains that we dream and write poetry with. God is as articulate as most artists (as distinct from writers), that is to say, not very.

JH's original question can be applied to any book:

In other words, if you can find a few errors in the bible Darwin's Origin of Species, will you throw away the whole notion of the bible Darwin being "inspired by God" true

Both Darwin and the Bible got important things wrong: but they got enough important things right that their contributions were a genuine advance for humanity. Darwin's theory is being reworked by modern evolutionists even as we speak, just as a fine old stately home might be updated with indoor plumbing and seismic retrofitting. Jewish and Christian theology have been reworked for the same reasons since the ink on the original manuscripts was drying.

I find errors in every book I read - whether mere typos or actual errors of fact. Doesn't mean I can't learn from them or let them change my life. The important thing is to take control of what you learn; make it your servant and friend, not your master. Decide for yourself what ideas you will live by.

gently feral

• SilverNyte

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit