For those who were raised in "the truth"

by Hangin_on 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Bluegrass Tom
    Bluegrass Tom

I always thought that I would die at Armageddon. I was told that Armageddon was coming so soon that I would not graduate high school! Now I am staring down the barrel of retirement. I also believed from around the age of 10 that the idea of a paradise earth being restored was a farce. I thought that God deserved worship and that I should give it as required, but felt that I would not personally benefit from any of it. Thanks Mom!

• becca1
    becca1

Funny you should ask. I just realized that it never occured to me that I'd die at Armaggedon. I wonder what that means?

• alamb
    alamb

I was molested by an elder at age 5 and he was never punished. He also molested his daughters and died an elder. So in my little head, I figured Jehovah had no use for me if he wasn't accountable. I went on to pioneer and got in an abusive/neglectful marriage. I took what I thought was the high road (proving loyal to Jehovah in spite of it all) knowing full well I wasn't worthy of the New System. sick.

• misocup
    misocup

I really thought I wouldn't make it to 21. No matter what because you never knew how to tell what was "in you heart". Needless to say 1975 came and went and here we are 32 years later with them revamping all of the beliefs about timelines AND blaming the believers for believing what they said.

I remember watching "Crack in the Earth" on TV with my dad, he said "That is what it will be like at Armageddon". I was 8 years old. That has got to be some form of child abuse! I was terrified. They always said some may die at Armageddon but not by Jehovahs hands and be resurrected right away. I didn't think that was much consolation. If you were one of the resurected, you were "as the angels, neither marrying nor being given in marriage". Not such a great life if you ask me.

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

actually not

my parents did not teach me that, and when they had to "direct" talks about that subject, my parents tols me not to take it too seriously

• misocup
    misocup
    I never knew how much Grace was associated with my life until recently.

That is such a great comment. I don't know what God is but I still beleive in 'something'. I knew I hated going to the meetings, in service, and knew Jehovah saw all of that. Now I see how unbelievably demanding the org is. It took me a long time not to be mad at God but now I see and feel that Grace you are talking about.

I think the org actually takes away your ability to be close to God, Spirit, Om, Allah, Buddha, Shiva, Bridget, Odin or whatever name you've discovered! I never use the name Jehovah because it reminds me too much of those people. I am surprised to see that some Christians don't even think that's God's name.

• brunnhilde
    brunnhilde

I absolutely KNEW I was going to die at Armageddon! And add to that the horror of knowing that my son would die too because I wasn't good enough and he wasn't yet "of an age of accountability." I felt sick about it all the time. I remember telling my husband he was going to have to be good enough for both of us for my son's sake because I was definitely not going to make it...

• misocup
    misocup

I was afraid of being killed by my father too. My drunken father still in good standing. Once put his hand on my head and told me he could crush my skull with one hand. I once threatened to go to the police, my mother had a fit. That bothered her more than the abuse. Keep it quiet we aren't supposed to go to the police it's against our religion. I had no choice but to leave home as a teen. As my three brothers did before me.

• misguided
    misguided

Me...

Absolutely.

Even though my dad was scary sometimes, this was a bigger fear in my world.

When I was being sexually abused by an elder, I honestly thought it was my fault. Something I was wearing. Something I was doing. I reasoned that I was like Potifer's (sp?) wife trying to seduce the righteous ones - even though I didn't know what I was doing...I just must be Satan's agent to lure Jehovah's elders into wrongdoing.

• misocup
    misocup

Borgia! That is great!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit