For those who were raised in "the truth"

by Hangin_on 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• Madame Quixote
    Madame Quixote

Like Blondie, I was more afraid of the next whipping than I was of Armageddon. I just assumed all us Jehobos would make it through. After all, I was putting up with so much emotional abuse, childhood depression, and isolation that getting wiped out at the big A might have been just a big relief anyway.

• knock knock
    knock knock

The odds of making it weren't too good no matter what. There were no assurances after all - "probably you may be concealed..." Probably you may?

How about a game show scenario for picking New World inhabitants?

• hambeak
    hambeak

I knew I would die at the big A cuz I am gay, I knew from the time I was 10 and felt totally guilty.

I had a lot of head games played on me cuz I was alone. I am now free and 55 and feeling great. Got rid of the cult syndrome.

• Mystla
    Mystla

I was so horrified by the impending distruction (gotta love those WT illustraters!) I was kinda hoping I would die before the big A hit.. then I wouldn't have to see it, I would just sleep for awhile and then wake up in paradise!! during my deeper depressions the idea of just sleeping, nevermind paradise, sounded good...

I'm so glad I'm out and don't have to think that way anymore.

On a side note.. I remember when I was really little, before I understood the destruction part, I would wake up in the morning and look out my window to see if it was paradise out there yet. I'm not sure what I expected to see.. we lived in the country.. mountain lions being nice to the cows or something, I guess

Misty

• Borgia
    Borgia

The big A was not something we worried about at our home. My fathers punishments were of a more immediate danger. I still recall the last beating I got with an iron rod.........

When reading about fear of the big A I had to think of a line I heard in kill bill 1 and related to the horrors of the big day as described by Zechariah, Joel, Zephaniah .....This is God talking:

12 “And this is what will prove to be the scourge with which Jehovah will scourge all the peoples that will actually do military service against Jerusalem: There will be a rotting away of one’s flesh, while one is standing upon one’s feet; and one’s very eyes will rot away in their sockets, and one’s very tongue will rot away in one’s mouth.

18 “‘Woe to those who are craving the day of Jehovah! What, then, will the day of Jehovah mean to YOU people? It will be darkness, and no light, 19 just as when a man flees because of the lion, and the bear actually meets him; and [as when] he went into the house and supported his hand against the wall, and the serpent bit him.

14 “The great day of Jehovah is near. It is near, and there is a hurrying [of it] very much. The sound of the day of Jehovah is bitter. There a mighty man is letting out a cry. 15 That day is a day of fury, a day of distress and of anguish, a day of storm and of desolation, a day of darkness and of gloominess, a day of clouds and of thick gloom, 16 a day of horn and of alarm signal, against the fortified cities and against the high corner towers. 17 And I will cause distress to mankind, and they will certainly walk like blind men; because it is against Jehovah that they have sinned. And their blood will actually be poured out like dust, and their bowels like the dung. 18 Neither their silver nor their gold will be able to deliver them in the day of Jehovah’s fury; but by the fire of his zeal the whole earth will be devoured, because he will make an extermination, indeed a terrible one, of all the inhabitants of the earth.”

This is Bill talking:
    Do you find me sadistic? You know, I'll bet I could fry an egg on your head right now, if I wanted to. No, Kiddo, I'd like to believe you're aware enough that, even now, to know there's nothing sadistic in my actions... Maybe towards those other jokers, but not you. No, Kiddo, this moment, this is me at my most... masochistic.
    Bang!

Quite a resemblance, huh.

cheers

Borgia

• DJK
    DJK

I never believed in God so the big A was a joke. Like many I see here, I feared my father and I feared the hate I held inside. Something changed that hate when I was 13 and if it hadn't I may have walked into dad's KH one day with an ouzi.

• Faded-out
    Faded-out

That actually was one of my biggest doubts with the WTS. I never could quite believe that 1 10th of 1 percent (.01%) of everyone one this planet were to be the only ones to survive. It just never made sense to me. I guess, especially since most of JW kids were as bad or worse then the "worldly" ones I knew.

Faded-out

• winnie
    winnie

Side issue but:

My mother-in-law says that we should all die in a car crash. At least then we would get a ressurrection.

• free2think
    free2think

ME!

I was so scared that I was going to be destroyed at the end, i think that was a big part of why I got baptized and probably why I pioneered. I was scared that I would be destroyed and everyone would find out what a bad person I was really, and that my family would be really disappointed with me. Crazy huh!

free

• PaulJ
    PaulJ

I thought I didnt stand a chance, thought I could never build up enough 'treasure in heaven' to account for all the 'bad' things I did. I left under a huge cloud of guilt, until I found this site and read Crisis of Conscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit