CAN YOU IDENTIFY YOUR EMOTIONS accurately???

by Terry 69 Replies latest jw experiences

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien
    Don't sell yourself short on how tremendous life is for those who seize it with the gusto it deserves.

oh, i know man. i was attempting to come to terms with the implications of you calling life a value. i seemed to make it work, but then the humans broke it, and re built it themselves, but somehow with a strange pathological fixation to dominate nature. strange. this project was screwed from the start. terry, run the determinism algorithm through the collective thought pattern matrix in quadrant 4Mii again, pump up the melatonin, and let's watch these zombies consume themselves to death. homo consumerinsis, RIP, dec. 21, 2012 AD.

bob!

tetra

• Terry
    Terry
    strange pathological fixation to dominate nature.

Not much choice there I'm afraid.

The strong like to "clarify" and solidify their position lest something creep up and bite them on their ass.

I always have to remind myself that this is a KILL and EAT world and I didn't get to vote on that.

• proplog2
    proplog2

This thread is almost dead but I just wanted to add a little more about actually identifying emotions. This is something I wrote about 10 years ago as part of a brief paper.

There are thousands of emotive words suggesting that humans have a complex view of emotion. But don't let the complexity fool you. It is the context in which emotion is expressed that is manifold not the basic source of the emotion. So let's consider the connection these four systems have with our basic emotions.

(1.) Visceral System. (Gut) An organism needs various things from its environment. These needs are experienced as cravings, appetite, hunger and longing. Basically we're talking about "love." We love the things our body needs. We want to narrow the distance between our bodies and the things we crave. This craving is the "motive" force for most of what we eventually do. The movement of the viscera is minimal. Peristalsis is usually a slow wave like motion that keeps the slurry of food flowing past the absorbing surface of villi.

(2.) Muscular System. When an organism is agitated enough by its needs, the shift is made to the muscular system. The muscular system is specialized to move the organism closer to what it needs. The muscular system moves toward the food and is equipped to de-structure an object so that it can facilitate contact with the viscera. Chasing down prey, clawing, tearing, biting, chewing, sucking & swallowing are all aggressive acts aimed at fulfilling the need for contact. It is with the Muscular system that we can associate the emotion of "rage." The strong association "rage" has with devouring prey in preparation for ingestion is seen by the fact that blood rushes to the stomach when you get angry.

(3.) Nervous System. The ability to coordinate a timely response to danger or a food source is advantageous for survival. Unexpected dangers lurk everywhere. It is this sort of coordination of movement that defines what a nervous system does. What emotion would most likely be associated with the nervous system? The simplest cell has a membrane that protects the inner organism from the outside environment. The membrane "separates" or "demarcates" the organism and its environment. This membrane defines the organism and is usually more sensitive than the rest of the protoplasm contained within the cell. It decides what it will allow to enter and what it will expel. As an inanimate object maintains its integrity by moving in one direction an organism is self-directing/selecting to avoid dis-integration. The dominant emotion associated with the act of retraction or flight is "fear." When someone says they are "nervous" they may be referring to the discomfort associated with fear.

4. Sensory system. For an organism to become familiar with its environment it needs to have a certain degree of freedom. Change is essential for growth. When an environment loses its stimulation, complex organisms will experience boredom. Change can only come about by acquiring new information. This random searching is the playful and joyous feeling associated with wonder and curiosity.

• RAF
    RAF

Maybe there is a misunderstanding about what means value (to me)

What do I like, I fear, care about, what do I think being respect or disrespect ... All my reactions (which can be lead by emotions) are related to my values about what I like more or less, fear more or less, care about more or less ... etc (all my personal values).

Eddited to add : I mean there is always a reason about why more or less and those reason have set up my personal values which can change along the time.

• Terry
    Terry
    We love the things our body needs.

Like art, music, literature, poetry, religion, etc?

Chasing down prey, clawing, tearing, biting, chewing, sucking & swallowing are all aggressive acts aimed at fulfilling the need for contact.

Chasing down a watercolor...? Clawing a Bach sonata?....tearing Joyce Kilmer's "Trees"?.....Chewing a Koran?....

I thinking the sucking is done in your premise, but; I'm not swallowing!

The dominant emotion associated with the act of retraction or flight is "fear." When someone says they are "nervous" they may be referring to the discomfort associated with fear.

Or walking out of a museum that has a Andres Serrano exhibit.....

Change can only come about by acquiring new information.

Excellent suggestion!

• Terry
    Terry

Maybe there is a misunderstanding about what means value (to me)

What do I like, I fear, care about, what do I think being respect or disrespect ... All my reactions (which can be lead by emotions) are related to my values about what I like more or less, fear more or less, care about more or less ... etc (all my personal values).

I'll try one more time....

We are all human.

What is a human that defines us as such and not some other living creature?

The defining characteristic is sapien (as in homo sapien). That refers to the intelligence of mankind.

How is this intelligence manifest which makes it identifiably different from intelligence in other species?

Man creates what does not exist by synthesizing rational knowledge and combining it with imaginative ability on a practical platform of technology.

Huh? Meaning what?

Man takes in information through his senses in such a way that he can retrieve it meaningfully to solve his problem of survival. Beyond mere survival man can manipulate his knowledge to create beneficial inventions. Man can solve problems by logical analysis. Man can extend his own lifespan. Man can transcend mere creature comfort and penetrate the void by reaching other planets.

How?

Man's rational mind measures cost/benefit in a precise mathematical model using standards. Part of man's methodology of learning precisely involves VALUES.

All of mankind uses VALUES on the cost/benefit scale. (How much will this cost me in time and effort and how much will I benefit by spending it?)

Animals live in the moment for pure survival for the most part. When humans do this they are plunged into poverty and a hand to mouth existence.

The triumph of homo sapien is building a model of the ideal society which includes education for children, medical resources, dietary information, an arm of law and a court of justice as well as representative government.

All this is done by pitting one value against another and making decisions based on the simple formula:

IS THE COST WORTH THE BENEFIT?

This isn't magic.

People who cling to religious beliefs often invest all their productive years on an imaginary future benefit. They find at the end of their lives they have little formal education, nothing saved for emergencies and no legacy nestegg for their children.

We call these people Jehovahs' Witnesses. Their values have been counterfeited.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Terry:

You are mixing the systems. And that's why people have trouble IDENTIFYING emotions. There is a biological basis for emotions and that is what I have described.

Visceral activities have their expression in LOVE. To the extent that people "love" art they are abstracting the desirability of food to "preference" to be visually stimulated. If a person doesn't get over this muddle they might end up a starving artist.

I don't see why you feel you need to attack what I said. It doesn't conflict with your basic ideas. Your thread asks: Can you identify your emotions accurately??? I am simply telling you that I can - and here is the basic system for understanding emotion.

It is clear that you enjoy creating mazes for people to walk through. Rather narccisstic. .... and just plain ordinary mind fucking. Get over yourself.

• RAF
    RAF

No benefit here Terry just in case you didn't realised ... but you've been understood for sure ... So no comment why for?

• Terry
    Terry

I don't see why you feel you need to attack what I said. It doesn't conflict with your basic ideas. Your thread asks: Can you identify your emotions accurately??? I am simply telling you that I can - and here is the basic system for understanding emotion.

It is clear that you enjoy creating mazes for people to walk through. Rather narccisstic. .... and just plain ordinary mind fucking. Get over yourself.

What "attack"?

I'm dismantling your statements the way a motor is taken apart to see how the gears mesh. The arguments stand or fall on their own merit. For each instance you give I've shown a contradiction. That usually indicates a flaw in the logic.

You are certainly able to demonstrate (or not) where your theory has merit. But, to throw up your hands and declare me a builder of mazes and a narcissist is ad hominem which almost always indicates a lost argument.

If your mind feels "fucked" I'm sure there must be some other explanation than my small efforts here.

• proplog2
    proplog2

Terry:

The tone you set for this discussion was one of sharing insights not strict argumentation. The reason I say that is your use of ambiguous concepts and undefined terms. You are making prescriptions and generalizations that are impossible for you to prove. It is sticky & dripping with emotional content contrary to what you would expect of someone advocating a rational approach.

Do you want me to take your post apart? (like a car engine) I looked it over and its Terry-bull.

Look at your generalizations. Look at your prescriptions. Look at your unneccesary tirade against Jehovahs Witnesses. Oh pardon me it IS neccessary on this discussion board to work JW's into it somehow.

When you said my premise "sucks" without even asking me what my premise IS I realized this wasn't a serious discussion but another one of your pontifications.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit