Big Screen TV: LCD or Plama? Which Brand?

by UnConfused 40 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I have a 52" sony rear projection. I use to play video games on it and destroyed it. Ended up throwing it in the trash.

Rooster ...

How did you "destroy" it ??? Just curious, but did it burn out or what ???

Rub a Dub

• ajwnm
    ajwnm

Have a 42" Panasonic plasma tv. Beautiful picture and have had no problems with it. Can really tell the difference when you put a "regular"tv next to it but I also have a 32" LCD which is hardly indistinguishable picture-wise when comparing sharpness, color, clarity, etc.

• ajwnm
    ajwnm

For good technical advice try Consumer Reports magazine and on line mag. I bought both of my tv's using their ratings. Buy almost everything rated a best buy or top pick. Have never gotten burned following their advice.

• Rooster
    Rooster

I played Tetris and half of the screen was for player two. So player twos side never got played very much. After a couple of years it screwed it up.. I had a repair man look at it. He said it was a lost cause.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Rooster ...

Thanks. I have never heard that about a rear projection TV but that is interesting.

Rub a Dub

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Have a 42" Panasonic plasma tv. Beautiful picture and have had no problems with it. Can really tell the difference when you put a "regular"tv next to it but I also have a 32" LCD which is hardly indistinguishable picture-wise when comparing sharpness, color, clarity, etc.

See that's part of the deal. LCD (I think) has the best picture quality of all of them. But anything above 32" (and even at that you're pushing it) the picture quality degrades exponentially.

We're in a transition period right now. 5-10 years from now technology will have resolved most of the issues we're talking about and the price will be reasonable for most consumers. Until then it's sort of a choose which option works best for you.

Gotta say though, once you start down the HD path, forever will it dominate your destiny.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

If I go with LCD or Plasma and NOT HD channels will I hate it?

I'm thinking that my wife is going to fight the extra per month charge on the DISH and the upgrade if there is a fee with that.

So I may get the flat screen this year, but not the HD channels....and I don't want to have to hear about how it's "worse"....

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    If I go with LCD or Plasma and NOT HD channels will I hate it?

Well it's sort of like grilling a steak and then not eating it. Like I said, the analog channels (95% of what's on cable) is not broadcast in HD. So the picture you'll actually see won't be much better and in some cases will look worse.

I don't think you'll hate it, but if she balks at the HD upgrade then hold off till the coast is clear. A real HD picture is very nearly like watching something in 3-D. The resolution is that sharp and crisp. Prices are coming down. I paid $2300 for my plasma and now something similar is less than half that. Eventually there will be no extra charge for HD channels because they'll all be broadcast in HD.

Good luck.

• restrangled
    restrangled

Of course in order to really enjoy the experience of watching movies, you will need to get a really good surround amp and speakers.

• knock knock
    knock knock

I just got a 52" Mitchybitchy LCD a couple of weeks ago and the HD service a couple of days ago. Big Tex is right about getting hooked on the HD. The screen still isn't big enough though - drive in theater size would be about right. The weather channel would be so awesome at that size! ;)
    The salesman told me this was an "entry level television". ????? What the hell?? I guess after I learn better how to watch TV then I'll upgrade but how much does a full fledged televison cost?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit