Big Screen TV: LCD or Plama? Which Brand?

by UnConfused 40 Replies latest jw friends

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Anyone with personal experience concerning big screen tv's?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Bought a Vizio 42" HDTV plasma from Costco 2 years ago for $1995.00. Current model sells for $995.00. Chose Costco because I knew that if I didn't like the product, then I could return in without hassles and switch to other brand. We love it.

Chose plasma over LCD because of the viewing area. We have a 15' megacouch that presents a wide viewing area for family and guests, especially movies. Where as with LCD your best view is directly in front and diminishes the further you get off to the side, plasma looks great from any angle.

Downside of plasma is initial cost (not that great anymore), HEAT it produces and that knowledge that its life span is at most ten years. Colors are more vibrant though.

If you have a seperate room that you are devoting to your viewing, consider a projector and 10' screen (Epson found at Costco around $900) for the true movie theater type of effect.

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

Are LCD's supposed to last longer? But PLASMA are better viewing?

• restrangled
    restrangled

Plasma pros vs. LCD

Wider viewing area, picture remains good from every angle.

More vibrant colors due to technology

Plasma cons vs. LCD

The way the plasma technology works, a ten year max life expectancy is tops

Costs more

HEAT

Bottom line If the audience viewing the LCD is directly in front of it (no wide angle viewing), then you may strongly consider LCD since it will last longer than plasma.

However if you have a big family that will watch from a wide viewing area, then expect a huge fight for the seat directly in front of the LCD, because as you get to the side the picture is not nearly as good with LCD.

• dmouse
    dmouse

I have an LG 42" Plasma that I'm very happy with. When I was reading up on it last year the technology of both was advancing quite fast. I think longevity of plasma is now nearly comparable with LCD, and LCD viewing angles have improved. It's all a matter of personal taste, but I liked the warmer, more life-like picture of the plasma.

The one thing I don't like is the screen burn-in you get with plasma if an image stays still too long (i.e. a news channel ticker along the bottom) though this goes with time.

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings unconfused,

I have a Panasonic Plasma & Samsung with DLP technology. It's much better than the plasma IMO. It's a 52" and only weighs approx 75 to 80 lbs.

Dismembered

• rassillon
    rassillon

I have been researching Plasma / LCD TVs for about 2 years now.

I have set and watched many in many different situations.

I have not bought one yet, basically I have been waiting for the price to come down and quality to go up.

I am really picky

Things I have learned,

LCDs look better close up.

LCDs last longer

LCD picture quality "now" rivals the best plasmas

LCD are generally cheaper

LCDs and Plasmas both have a poor picture with NON-HD signals. (the smaller the tv the less noticeable - the larger the more)

Make sure the TV you get will allow you to switch between wide and 4:3 format or the 4:3 will stretch and look wierd.

Depending on the distance you are going to be watching this from you may want to buy a smaller or larger set.

My choice which I will be purchasing soon is the Sharp Aquos LC-32D50U.

You may choose a 37" and I suggest going larger ONLY if you have a really large room. Some people don't mind but there is definitly a picture quality issue here.

The new Sharp line is using a new LCD panel now made by Sharp which is superior to the previous version. Has a very wide viewing angle. Is very bright so it can even be seen well in rooms with windows. Also has a very low ms refresh rate for less ghosting during fast action images.

That is my 2cents.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Got an LCD and I love it. sammieswife.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have a Sony 65" rear-projection widescreen TV. I love it. I watch a lot more DVDs than I do TV. The DVD picture looks very sharp. Our digital cable doesn't come in quite as clearly however.

• greendawn
    greendawn

You could also do a search on the internet though at times the results are a pain because they are not in chronological order and much info will be outdated ie from older web pages. I would personally go for an LCD, the viewing angle and animation problems have been minimised and it has no burn in problems and lasts longer. The main plus of the plasma TV is that it has better colour rendition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit