Big Screen TV: LCD or Plama? Which Brand?

by UnConfused 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Twitch
    Twitch

A couple thoughts

Plasma is susceptible to "burn-in" meaning that if you leave the same image up a lot, it will leave a permanent residual "ghost" image. This is a concern especially if planning to hook up a computer or video games. Some models will have an electronic image "shifter" or some such term for a slightly and essentially imperceptable rotation of the image to alleviate this somewhat. Plasmas can also be "flushed" or "recharged" in a way that will fix a burn but the jury's out on that one and the service will cost you. Limited life span is expected but the color rendition is superb for video at the expense of some digital image clarity compared to LCD. There is no noticable problems with pixilated images at larger sizes unlike LCD. They're heavey and they get hot.

FYI

• Navigator
    Navigator

You might want to hit the library and check out a recent issue of Consumer Reports. They have tested both kinds and list the pros and cons of each. They also tested individual brands.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

We have a Sharp Aquos and love it. We're considering a second for the basement.

• heathen
    heathen

Been researching this as well and both TVs have the same life expectancy but some LCD tvs can be repared by replacing a light in the rear but plasma has no way to repair once the neon or xenon gas goes out . Playing video games is out if you buy plasma , I think LCD is video game friendly. For the money the plasma has a better picture but LCD technology is catching up on that .

• Twitch
    Twitch

Regardless of which technology you choose, options for scaling the various aspect ratios can be important; entry level models will not have many. Aspect ratio is a ratio of the screen's width to height. A quick primer for the uninitiated;

1.33 or 4:3 = standard TV and computer monitors

1.78 or 16:9 = HD format monitors

1.85 = 35 mm US and UK widescreen standard for theatrical film.

2.35 = 35 mm anamorphic from 1970 onwards. (won't go into anamorphic here :-)

alt

Comparison of three common aspect ratios constrained by the screen diagonal size (the black circle). The rectangular box (blue, 2.39:1) and middle box (green, 16:9) are common formats for cinematography. The box with sides of similar length (red, 4:3) is the format used in standard television. Courtesy of wikipedia and its entry on aspect ratios.

These are the most common aspect ratios but the history of cinema is peppered with variations on the format depending on when the movie was shot and which lenses and film processing they used. You will notice this more or less when renting DVDs from different eras. Computer sources have standardized resolutions at 1.33 but sport variations on the main themes. This is where the scaling or zoom function comes in handy; it'll give you the option to watch the DVD "letterboxed" at full width or crop the sides filling the screen top to bottom for movies shot in a higher ratio. You could "stretch" the standard 1.33 TV signal to fill the HD monitor side to side, with the obvious stretching of the content, watch it at 1.33 thus not using the sides of the monitor or cropping the top and bottom of the image thus filling the monitor side to side. Confused yet? Ask for the remote before you buy :-)

How much image you want onscreen becomes a matter of personal preference.

• 5thGeneration
    5thGeneration

Twitch,

Can you explain that to the "Flat Screens for Idiots" crowd?

The reason is I just got a beautiful Visio LCD 47' and I think it looks great and the picture is fabulous.

I don't get though how it appears to be a 'widescreen' TV however it shows things that are still cut off? I know I sound pathetic but hey, I'm an athlete not an electronics guy! LOL

Any explanation?

Thx

• choosing life
    choosing life

I am no expert, but I love the picture on a projection TV over any other.

• Twitch
    Twitch

5th

You're watching standard TV on a widescreen/HD, right? You're seeing the image fill the monitor side to side thus losing the top and bottom, no? Your monitor is zooming in to fill the screen. Your can change it to see TV normally but the sides of the screen will be blank (not wide) or see everything but see it stretched side to side to fill the sceen. Surf the menus,....

Hope it helps.

• VM44
    VM44

I have heard that plasma screens fade over time.

--VM44

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Plasma is susceptible to "burn-in" meaning that if you leave the same image up a lot, it will leave a permanent residual "ghost" image. This is a concern especially if planning to hook up a computer or video games. Some models will have an electronic image "shifter" or some such term for a slightly and essentially imperceptable rotation of the image to alleviate this somewhat. Plasmas can also be "flushed" or "recharged" in a way that will fix a burn but the jury's out on that one and the service will cost you. Limited life span is expected but the color rendition is superb for video at the expense of some digital image clarity compared to LCD. There is no noticable problems with pixilated images at larger sizes unlike LCD. They're heavey and they get hot.

This is absolutely true, and the main reason I've been a real Nazi about turning the TV off when no one's around. If you're thinking of playing video games or anything else that uses a constant video feature, then plasma is not the way to go. Again, if the screen size is an issue, then I would not go LCD. LCD has a much sharper, and clearer picture than plasma but it degrades as the screen size gets bigger.

Also most plasmas have a problem showing "true" black, by that I mean with most plasmas any black pixels (or black bars if you're watching wide screen) show up as dark grey. This is why I chose the Panassonic as it was the only one to show true black.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit