What R U Reading lately?

by Tina 62 Replies latest jw friends

• circe
    circe

Tina,

Here are a few of the books that have impacted my life. They are not listed in any particular order.

1) The God We Never Knew - Marcus Borg

2) Does God Exist - Richard Swineburn

3) Philosophy for Dummies - Morris

4) Mind of God - Paul Davies

5) Care of the Soul - Thomas Moore

6) Philosophy of Religion - Various Authors

7) Atheism - Brian Davies? (Actually not sure of the author)

Next books on my list to read: Reading the Bible Again for the First Time; The Meaning of Jesus; Farewell to God; and God at 2000.

• rem
    rem

Peace,

I am addicted as well! I simply must own all of the books I read. I love looking at them on my shelf after I've read them. There is something so satisfying about it. Maybe I'm building a library for my future kids?

I'm currently reading "Borderlands of Science" by Shermer. I've recently finished reading:

Six Easy Pieces by Richard Feynman
    God, A Biography by Jack Miles
    The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
    Did Adam and Eve Have Navels by Martin Gardner
    The Dream of Reason by Anthony Gottlieb
    The Jesus Mysteries by Timothy Freke
    What is Atheism? by Douglas E. Krueger
    The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky

I also really enjoyed "Age of Reason" by Thomas Paine, "Some Mistakes of Moses" by Robert Ingersoll, and "Why I'm Not a Christian" by Bertrand Russel. Also, anything by Richard Dawkins and Carl Sagan is good. There are so many other books that I've enjoyed since leaving the org. I find it is fun to keep a list of the books I've read and rating them on Amazon.com.

I've got Orwell's "1984" waiting for me on my shelf to read next. Then it's time to order some more books from Amazon! :)

rem

"Most people would rather die than think; in fact, they do so."
    ..........Bertrand Russell

• Undine
    Undine

Ahhhhh...Books...Nice thread!

Well...of course, Crisis of Conscience
    is right up there with my recently completed "worldview changing" books...

But I must admit, after I left the organization, I majorly
    rekindled my intense love of reading good stories and NOT
    FEELING GUILTY over getting "lost" in them! That realization
    in itself was starkly eye-opening for me!

Hmmm...everything by Amy Tan, Gail Tsukiyama, Memoirs of a Geisha
    was sublime (Golden), Nick Bantock!, Poetry by Rumi and Matsuo Basho,Andy Goldsworthy art books, Banana Yoshimoto (as a jw I would have deemed her writing totally verboten!) Sitting in a neat stack waiting for me are: Michener's, The Source; Undset's, 'Lavransdatter' Trilogy; Tom Robbin's, 'Fierce Invalids Home From Hot Climates.' Plus, all sorts of "children's" books!

Harmony? You asked: "do any of you book lovers have a thing with needing to own the books you read?"

YES and YES again!!! Owning them is half the pleasure!!! Many of them I purchase new and many at thrift stores...but actually OWNING THEM
    is...is...well you know how it is!!!!!!! ô¿*

Undine

• muslima
    muslima
    what books have had an impact on your worldview since leaving the org.

Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagen
    Thick Face Black Heart by Chin Ying Chu
    Harry Potter -- all 4

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've actually really enjoyed the "LEFT BEHIND" series, though I don't agree with all the theology and supposition. My son and I eagerly await the next installment on the 17th of this month.

I've also been reading Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus detective series. It combines a good dective novel with an education in Judaism.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

I've actually really enjoyed the "LEFT BEHIND" series, though I don't agree with all the theology and supposition. My son and I eagerly await the next installment on the 17th of this month.

I've also been reading Faye Kellerman's Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus detective series. It combines a good dective novel with an education in Judaism.

My bible.

The News Paper.

Boring BORING Army of the Future Doctrine for the redesign of the US Army. Important to my job, but BORING.

YERUSALYIM
    "Vanity! It's my favorite sin!"
    [Al Pacino as Satan, in "DEVIL'S ADVOCATE"]

• Tina
    Tina

Wow,great readers and books here! Thanks all for contributing.....I have added to my book list from those mentioned here! Some I havent thought of in years.Time to re-read and lots of new titles!!(((((((((to all)))))))))Tina

'Boycott Shampoo! Demand the real Poo!

• Trevor Scott
    Trevor Scott

I read Penton, and Franz's book when I left the borg. Also 'Kingdom of the Cults' by Walter Martin. This book really puts the WTS in perspective, with regard to other cults. Also read Hassan's book on mind control.

Right now I'm in the middle of 'Meditations' by Marcus Aurelius. Also reading 'The Hobbit' to my kids (man I love Tolkien).

I picked up 'Animal Farm' (George Orwell) the other day. Hadn't read it since high school. Here's an excerpt, sound at all familiar?

Squealer was sent to make the necessary explanations to the others.

'Comrades!' he cried. 'You do not imagine, I hope, that we pigs are doing this in a spirit of selfishness and priviledge? Many of us actually dislike milk and apples. I dislike them myself. Our sole object in taking these apples is to preserve our health. Milk and apples (and this has been proved by Science, comrades) contain substances absolutely necessary to the well-being of a pig. We pigs are brainworkers. The whole management and organization of this farm depend on us. Day and night we are watching over your welfare. It is for your sake that we drink that milk and eat those apples. Do you know what would happen if we pigs failed in our duty? Jones would come back! Surely, comrades,' cried squealer almost pleadingly, skipping from side to side and whisking his tail, 'surely there is no one among you who wants to see Jones come back?'

Now if there was one thing that the animals were completely sure of, it was that they did not want Jones back. When it was put to them in this light, they had no more to say. The importance of keeping the pigs in good health was all too obvious. So it was agreed without further argument that the milk and the windfall apples (and also the main crop of apples when they ripened) should be reserved for the pigs alone.

TS,

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Books that had a big impact on me:

Man's Search For Meaning Victor Frankl

In Search of Christian Freedom -- Ray Franz

Travels -- Michael Chrichton

The Painted Bird -- Jerzy Kosinski

Combatting Cult Mind Control -- Steve Hassan

Using Your Brain For a Change -- Richard Bandler

Different Seasons/(has the novella Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption) -- Steven King

Visions of Glory: A Memoir of Jehovah's Witnesses -- Barbara G. Harrison

An Unquiet Mind -- Kay Redfield Jamison

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

• mikepence
    mikepence

Anyting by Edward Abbey.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit