Cap'n Corelli's mandolin (again)

Road less travelled

Inspector Morse series.

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Hi Tina Valentina Libertina Ragazzina:

I am now in the middle of "Apocalypse Delayed - Penton" and for the second time reading "Crisis of Conscience - Franz" and have just started today, "Age of Reason - Paine".

As soon as possible, I will borrow "In Search of Christian Freedom - Franz" from the nearest library and devour it like the others.

• MegaDude
    MegaDude

Stephen King's "Hearts in Atlantis"

Jolan Chang's "The Tao of Love and Sex" (Ladonna recommended this one highly.)

Just finished: "The Last Dive," true scuba story; Rich Dad Poor Dad.
    Excellent book about making money.

"Hope is a good thing... maybe the best of things."
    Andy's letter to Red in the Shawshank Redemption

• peaceloveharmony
    peaceloveharmony

hi tina! great idea for a thread

currently i am reading The Selfish Gene by Richard Dawkins. I just finished reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being by Milan Kundera and Whispers by Dean Koontz.

you asked

what books have had an impact on your worldview since leaving the org.
    What have you found helpful in re-constructing and broadening the way you think and feel?
    What have you found to be particularly enlightening on 'your journey?'

the list would be too long for here but i want to say that for me, books were my safe haven when i was a dub and then when i was a new x-dub. content is important but even more important is just the act of sitting and reading, learning to sit quietly with yourself and let your mind go. after spending many hours reading something i usually find myself having a breakthrough in my thinking processes. like when i read The Stand by Stephan King, still a jw at this time, i'd put a bible on my book at night because the devil character scared me so much. by the end of that book i was no longer afraid of the "boogey man" or demons or satan or whatever you want to call him. also i realized an important thing that had escaped my jw trained mind: i didn't have to be a jw to be a good person! and neither did anyone! just one example of a book that got me to think. there are so many and i'm so glad i somehow got turned on to books at a young age.

love
    harmony

ps. do any of you book lovers have a thing with needing to own the books you read?? i know i could save a lot by using the library but i NEED my own books lol

Most people think, Great God will come from the skies, Take away everything And make everybody feel high. But if you know what life is worth, You will look for yours on earth: And now you see the light, You stand up for your rights.~~Bob Marley

• BlackMan4Life
    BlackMan4Life

Interesting thread - Here's a few books -
    The Internet (first and foremost)
    The Age of Reason ~ Thomas Paine
    The Autobiography of Malcolm X ~ Alex Haley
    Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz (The chapter on Blood opened my eyes!)
    Howard Zinn's Books
    Norm Chomsky's Books
    Rescuing the Bible from Fundamentalism : A Bishop Rethinks the Meaning of Scripture ~ by John Shelby Spong
    The Wretched of the Earth ~ Frantz Fanon
    The Isis Papers ~ By: Frances C. Welsing
    Anacalypsis - The Saitic Isis : Languages, Nations and Religions or An Inquiry into the Origin of Languages, Nations and Religions ~ Godfrey Higgins
    The Fountainhead ~ Ayn Rand
    The Prince (Oxford World's Classics)~ Niccolo Machiaveli
    Ain't Nobody's Business If You Do : The Absurdity of Consensual Crimes in Our Free Country ~ Peter McWilliams, Jean Sedillos

I've read more books since I left the BORG than I ever did during my life.

Peace -Larry

[email protected]

• TR
    TR

The latest Clive Cussler book, "Atlantis Found".

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Julie
    Julie

Hi PLH,

:ps. do any of you book lovers have a thing with needing to own the books you read?? i know i could save a lot by using the library but i NEED my own books lol

With my limited resources I often check out a book at the library to see if it is re-readable first. I am not at all this practical when it comes to the ancient reference works I am highly addicted to.

Books are the greatest love of my life.
    (well, ok, maybe books *and* chocolate )

Regards--
    Julie

• troubled
    troubled

Books I've recently (or am now reading):

The Professor and the Madman
    Gift of the Sea
    Tuesdays with Morrie
    The Dance of Anger
    Social Psychology (Unraveling the Mystery)
    Memoirs of Cleopatra
    7 Habits of Highly Effective People
    Imagining Robert
    Out of Africa
    Iman: the story of a Somali Girl

• troubled
    troubled

And I'm starting on a daily reading of the Bible from start to finish.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Hi Julie, my husband and I both like to own books. I have collected entire series of books, and then sold them in garage sales, because I ran out of room on the book shelf. We are getting to that point again, lately.

I also read "The Red Tent" and "Tuesdays with Morrie" this year. "The Rise of Christianity" by Stark, was very enlightening too about how Christianity was perceived by the ancient world. I bought "EVEolution" by Faith Popcorn, about women in marketing, but haven't gotten into it yet. Also "The Spencers" by Princess Diana's brother. (I love history, and genealogy.......the Spencers show up in my genealogy list, but not directly.......sort of in-laws)

Marilyn (a.k.a. Mulan)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit