What R U Reading lately?

by Tina 62 Replies latest jw friends

• bboyneko
    bboyneko

I read like 95% non-fiction, I usually hate fiction.

For some reason, I have been reading alot about communist Russia. I read MIG PILOT, it's the true story of Viktor Ivanovish Belenko, an elite military MIG Fighter Pilot. He defected to Japan with the plane in the mid 70's. It was a huge incident. At the time, the MIG fighter jet was feared as a faster, more lethal jet than anything the US had. The truth was, it was a elmon put together with bubble-gum and staples.

The US learned alot from this though, since the soviets had little money to work with they came up with ingenius ways of building a jet that was light yet strong.

Right now I'm reading a book called Klass, about the class syetem in soviet russia. It's very interesting to read in light of my JW experience.

-Dan

• rem
    rem
    I read like 95% non-fiction, I usually hate fiction.

Same here, bboy. I have to force myself to read some fiction, mostly classics that I missed out on from not going to college. I'm gonna tackle an Aynn Rand novel for my next fiction book. Probably the Fountainhead. It seems for every work of fiction on my Amazon wish list, there are 10 or 15 nonfiction books - usually on science, philosophy, or religious topics.

Word to your mother,

rem

'A scientific opinion is one which there is some reason to believe is true; an unscientific opinion is one which is held for some reason other than its probable truth.' - Bertrand Russell

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

If my house were on fire and I could only grab 5 books from my library that I recently read they would be:

"Emergence:The Connected Lives of Ants, Brains, Cities, and Software" by Steven Johnson

"Biological Anomalies: Humans II" by William Corllss

"Cybershock" by Winn Schwartau

"The Fourth Turning" by William Strauss and Neil Howe

"Philosophy in the Bedroom," by the Marquis De Sade

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit