Making you nervous?

by avidbiblereader 14 Replies latest jw friends

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

Did giving talks, parts on the meetings or even answering make you nervous and how did you handle or deal with it?

Did you ever lie to get out of giving a assignment because of nerves?

• DannyBloem
    DannyBloem

in the begining. But It will go away...

Just because elder and you have so many talks you are not nervous anymore, but feel like tired of all other people making up stories, and you are the one who have to do all :)

• Merry Magdalene
    Merry Magdalene

Nervous! (and then some)

I loved doing research and trying to work up really in-depth, amazing, enlightening "parts" LOL (not easy in a sister-sister setting), but when it came to actually speaking I would nearly pass out from lack of breathing. I guess I hid it well, though, because they had a hard time finding anything to counsel me on.

I don't remember lying to try to get out of it, but I did often make myself sick with nerves, in the Ministry School as well as in regular school. And then there were those rare nights when I just couldn't bear to miss my favorite tv shows yet again.

~Merry

• JH
    JH

I HATE talking in front of a group. That didn't change since my JW years.

Often I phoned in sick and didn't go, when I knew it was my turn at the TMS.

Or, simply I made my talk 1 minute shorter, on purpose.

It got me nervous and I hated having to talk.

During the Watchtower, I would make 1 comment every 2 or 3 weeks, and when I knew I would comment, I would sit right next to the aisle, near the brother with the mic, because my pulse would race up to 120 when I knew I was going to comment, so being so close to the brother with the mic, I could do it faster and get rid of it, and my pulse came right down again after my comment. Just thinking of it, makes me uncomfortable. We had one nasty elder at the book study, who didn't wait for us to raise our hands, and he decided who would give the answer or who would read a couple of verses.

I hated reading at the bookstudy, especially when it wasn't my turn and the brother who had to read was sick and I had to replace at the last moment.

When I knew it was my turn to read, I would practise all week, reading the darn chapter 20 times, not to stumble on a word.

Yep, it got me nervous, and I'M glad its over.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I was nervous the whole two times I ever answered a question in the meetings. I didn't want the title of being 'strong'.

• under_believer
    under_believer

Nope. I have few talents or skills, but public speaking is one of them.

That being said, if they somehow induced me into giving a talk now, the hypocrisy this would entail would make me as nervous as hell.

• juni
    juni

Nervous? That would be an understatement! I'd pace outside the Hall before my talk and breathed deeply. Once I was on the stage it would all go away. I always got good marks, but I ABSOLUTELY hated giving talks. Answering at the meetings wasn't so bad. They wanted me to do a school part at the CA and I told them to forget it.

Juni

• pierogi
    pierogi

Well I joined the school In my later teens. I was really nervous about giving a talk. I told the elders that I wanted to be a householder for a while (which is probably what most people do

anyway). So I was a householder a few times then I was given my first talk. The night I was supposed to give it the meeting was cancelled because of snow or ice. I was so happy!

• avidbiblereader
    avidbiblereader

I use to get really nervous at first and then when I became the TMS overseer it helped getting up every week. However I still would get nervous giving public talks for the first couple of minutes then it would subside, answering wouldnt make me nervous. Public prayer scared me to death, reading the WT was fun after the first couple of paragraphs but still by no means a natural at public speaking, however I gave it my all.

abr

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If I practiced then I would feel comfortable with the material and that would address the issue of the nerves. Between 72 and 75 I practiced. After 75, I lost my faith and didnt practice, I moved to another state and tried to do as little as possible until I upped and quit in 83.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit