Characteristics of Narcissistic Mothers

by rebel8 45 Replies latest social relationships

• hoser
    hoser
    Interesting read.
  • hoser
    hoser

Lol at this comment. So true.

There is only one answer to this problem. Completely cut the bitches from your life! Ultimate Revenge against these attention seeking idiots!

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

Though not every detail fits my mother, she did pull off an incredible incident of self absorbed behavior when she was staying with my sister to "help out" after my sister's first baby, a preemie was born.

Her idea of helping out was to basically just take care of the baby. She never thought that helping to cook meals, wash laundry or just, in general help out with household chores should be something she should do.

She lost her s**t when my sister asked her if she'd make lunch. She complained she felt like she was being "used." Then she demanded that my sister and she drop everything and have a discussion about how my sister's behavior made my mother feel.

I caught this conversation and blew up, telling my mother that it wasn't about her and how dare she pull this crap when there's a new mother and a preemie that needed taken care of.

She screamed back at me, telling me it was none of my business and that she would just leave if she wasn't wanted. She went and hid in a room and called my father crying about how she wasn't appreciated. Then she left.

When I was driving home that evening, I called my father and told him the real story, that my mother was out of line, that she was acting unstable and that she really needed to see a doctor (again). He just listened non-commitally.

So, years later, I found out that my dad took my mother's side (classic enabler) and I will yet again go down in the annals of family history as the black sheep.

I was always the scapegoat. Maybe because I always have stood up to her. I have always felt the need to protect my little sister from her because she tends to be more conciliatory towards her and she gets hurt again and again.

What works with people like that? Going low contact or no contact, especially after egregious behavior like the above. She's been behaving okay recently so I am in contact. My sister thinks she behaves better towards me now because I don't need her. And I don't. I can survive just fine without her. And that drives her self-centered self crazy.

• Stealth
    Stealth
    This was my mother to a T. The sad thing is, she died over 15 years ago and I don't miss her not even a little bit. I know if she was still alive today she would be a royal pain in my ass.
  • zeb
    zeb
    • Every thing they do is deniable
    • The never say you are inadequate, but..
    • Comparing
    • controlling
    • violates
    • favouriotes
    • undermines
    • demeans
    • fires barbs
    • put downs
    • minimizes
    • fantasiizwes
    • envies
    • lies
    • seeks tobe the centre of attention
    • selfish
    • self absorbed
    • insanely defensive
    • .....petty
    • exploitive
    • blamer

• zeb
    zeb

To all those"qualities" also add a profligate gossip and someone who has no productive hobby or outlet suffers minimal education and tragically from the 'Mid day disease" coming down with every complaint talked about on 'Mid-day shows".

But in all probability still a sister in 'good standing'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit