Need some education on THEOLOGY? Start here! Evolutionists take note!

by LittleToe 92 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:
    I take on board your point that it was at best naive to think that those with no interest in theology would get the point of the use of the term "depravity" in that context. That having been said, it isn't the usual kind of insult to bandy about, especially given an acceptance by most believers that atheists are not significantly more immoral/amoral than theists in a corporeal sense.

I confess that I never for one moment thought that it might be being used in a pejorative sense, nor taken that way, until it was jumped upon. That having been said, I wouldn't have used it myself, prefering to use laymans' terms in such situation.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

LT,

I take on board your point that it was at best naive to think that those with no interest in theology would get the point of the use of the term "depravity" in that context.

Whether the term 'depraved' was used in the limited context of theology, or the wider context of generally understood use, the point is that allowing an unseen, possibly ficticious and imagined figure, to dictate the state of ones moral existence from birth onward is not healthy psychologically.

As I noted above Perry or Deputy is not responsible for this unhealthy state, imho impressed on Western society by Augustine the Nutter, but that does not mean that it should be embraced with such relish and finality.

HS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    it isn't the usual kind of insult to bandy about

Perhaps I am overreacting here, because dépravation is still understandable in French in its common derogatory sense, which may not (? or less?) be the case of the English depravity... you tell me . Iow, its technicality may be more or less obvious from one language to another. But the reaction of English posters seems to indicate that "depraved" is still not perceived as a compliment, lol.

Btw I always found Luther's notion of servum arbitrium ("enslaved will") way more interesting.

, especially given an acceptance by most believers that atheists are not significantly more immoral/amoral than theists in a corporeal sense.

This assumption is certainly valid in Europe, I doubt it is in the USA. Every other week we have a topic here about the moral dangers of secularism/atheism...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Hillary:
    That which I can name I can conquer. By defining the perceived "weakness" in the human that explains their inability to always do good, it allows it to be placed in a framework that allows the mind to deal with it. To that end I would submit that it has a useful place in psychology. Its much akin to stating "hey, I'm not perfect" when one makes a mistake.

Didier:No, you're not overreacting. It commonly has a pejorative sense in modern English as well. I'm just arguing that I suspect this wasn't the intent, albeit using it where he did left him completely open to be misunderstood and criticised. As for it being a compliment... I don't think it would be seen as such even in theological circles

This assumption is certainly valid in Europe, I doubt it is in the USA. Every other week we have a topic here about the moral dangers of secularism/atheism...

Oops! Perhaps I forget my audience to an even greater degree than I allowed. You have a very good point. The general state of American theology is not consistent. My experience has been that the content is not generally that deep, and is often logically unsound, making such soundbites the norm

I've just had an "aha!" moment of my own, considering this. Perhaps it goes some way to explaining the general reaction on this forum to the religious, if they are assailed with such kneejerk reactionary comments on a regular basis.

Btw I always found Luther's notion of servum arbitrium ("enslaved will") way more interesting.

I must confess, so do I, especially in contradistinction to libera voluntas.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I randomly followed a couple of links from LT's starting post, and I came across an article that purports to answer atheists, and it concludes with the following, and I found it to be very disappointing:

The Proper Reply

The explanation of a second method must begin with a more direct confrontation with atheism. If the existence of God cannot be deduced by cosmology, have we dodged the burden of proof and left the battlefield in the possession of our enemies? No; there is indeed a theistic answer. Superficially, it is not difficult to understand; but, unfortunately, a full appreciation of its force requires some philosophic expertise. A knowledge of geometry is of great help, but it is seldom taught in the public high schools. One cannot realistically expect Christians to have read and to have understood Spinoza; and Protestant churches usually anathematize plain, ordinary Aristotelian logic.

In geometry there are axioms and theorems. One of the early theorems is, "An exterior angle of a triangle is greater than either opposite interior angle." A later one is the famous Pythagorean theorem: the sum of the squares of the other two sides of a right triangle equals the square of its hypotenuse. How theological all this sounds! These two theorems and all others are deduced logically from a certain set of axioms. But the axioms are never deduced. They are assumed without proof.

There is a definite reason why not everything can be deduced. If one tried to prove the axioms of geometry, one must refer back to prior propositions. If these too must be deduced, there must be previous propositions, and so on back ad infinitum . From which it follows: If everything must be demonstrated, nothing can be demonstrated, for there would be no starting point. If you cannot start, then you surely cannot finish.

Every system of theology or philosophy must have a starting point. Logical Positivists started with the unproved assumption that a sentence can have no meaning unless it can be tested by sensation. To speak without referring to something that can be touched, seen, smelled, and especially measured, is to speak nonsense. But they never deduce this principle. It is their non-demonstrable axiom. Worse, it is self-contradictory, for it has not been seen, smelled, or measured; therefore it is self-condemned as nonsense.

If the axioms of other secularists are not nonsense, they are nonetheless axioms. Every system must start somewhere, and it cannot have started before it starts. A naturalist might amend the Logical Positivist’s principle and make it say that all knowledge is derived from sensation. This is not nonsense, but it is still an empirically unverifiable axiom. If it is not self-contradictory, it is at least without empirical justification. Other arguments against empiricism need not be given here: The point is that no system can deduce its axioms.

The inference is this: No one can consistently object to Christianity’s being based on a non-demonstrable axiom. If the secularists exercise their privilege of basing their theorems on axioms, then so can Christians. If the former refuse to accept our axioms, then they can have no logical objection to our rejecting theirs. Accordingly, we reject the very basis of atheism, Logical Positivism, and, in general, empiricism. Our axiom shall be, God has spoken. More completely, God has spoken in the Bible. More precisely, what the Bible says, God has spoken.

But my answer to all this is, no mathemetician states that 'Triangle' exists. It is simply a description used for objects in the real world. Triangle is no more a real object than Consensus or Blue or Minority.

Am I missing the point?

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    Triangle is no more a real object than Consensus or Blue or Minority.

Following on from your conclusions: the term "God" is also not a real object but only represents a descriptive placeholder in our minds.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Following on from your conclusions: the term "God" is also not a real object but only represents a descriptive placeholder in our minds.

Exactly!

The author seems to state in so many words that, if a priori assumptions are good enough for mathemeticians, then they're good enough for theologians.

But math isn't real! It's just a language that is used to describe observed phenomena, so the author's attempt to liken it to theology seems strained at best.

Like I said, I found the article to be dissappointing...

Dan, can't get his post right class

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

But, again, lets follow your logic to a further conclusion: language isn't real, period.

I'm still not quite sure what you find disappointing about the article. It doesn't exactly fire me up, either, but I'd like to know your opinion.

• Farkel
    Farkel

Little Toe,

You are one of my favorite people and you know that.

: Oh, and for the record, lest it somehow be interpreted as sour grapes, I believe in evolution.

Thank Goodness! The whole overwhelming evidence and that already proven theory might have been otherwise doomed!

Heh, heh.

Farkel

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I'm still not quite sure what you find disappointing about the article. It doesn't exactly fire me up, either, but I'd like to know your opinion.

Well, I think we're on the same page then. My pulse quickened as I started reading the article because I thought it might contain something that would really challenge me, really fire me up, get me thinking. But then it concluded with such a tepid argument. I was expecting something better I guess.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit