Bethalite Paycheck?

by nonamegiven 15 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

A Bethelite signs a form to say they are not getting paid, they receive and living allowance that is unrelated to the work they do. (To prevent suing for being paid under award wages) It is 10 years since i was in bethel so i dont know the exact amounts, but it is somewhere around the following.

They get about $100 pm

plus a once a year allowance that is based on age, service etc that is around $500

plus if you have a car you get a monthly travel allowance at a cents per kilometre (or mile) rate that is capped at about $1500 per year.

In Australia you have to pay tax on the allowance (though if Bethel is the only source of income it is below the tax free threshold). However, as the car allowance is about 1/3 of the rate recommended by the tax department Bethelites get a large deduction that can be offset again any other income such as investements.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW
    Each Bethelite gets the same despite how long they have been there and regardless whether they are male, female, old or young. I do think you get more vacation as time goes by and more Saturdays off.

..and as time goes by you move on in the line of choice when a new, better appartment is available.

edited to add: IIRC, it is not the time at Bethel they count but the time in full-time-service as a whole.

• Sasha
    Sasha

When I was in the "Truth" I was always told that they recieved NO pay. Just room and board, food, many a stipend for expenses. No "paycheck" per-say!

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

Man, I should have hung in. When I was there, we got $14.00 a month.

• wunce_wuz
    wunce_wuz

They paid you in CASH??! What years were you there? How much of that $100 went to subways to attend your congregation's Kingdom Hall? When I entered it was $18/month. When I left it was $35 if I recall. Used to be a running joke amongst some of my friends...how many meetings can you afford to miss... so you can have more money for beer, pizza, and weekend trips.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    how many meetings can you afford to miss

Priceless.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit