What would you have done? (saw a stranded motorist)

by AlmostAtheist 25 Replies latest jw friends

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

A JW would have asked her if she needed help, then he would have counted the
    time preaching to her because he mentioned Jehovah or the Bible once during
    the conversation.

She had a phone and was able to get help. I know what you mean, though.
    Do I get involved or not- will she think I am a creep or not, WWJD (kidding).
    I would say if you didn't see the phone, or there wasn't a place nearby or
    if it was late, or ...- then you could offer to help. You did fine.

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

Given the poor weather conditions I would have probably stopped and if possible just yelled from my car "You okay". And if I were you I would probably go back and check - you do not want a frozen woman on your conscience tomorrow morning!

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

That's pretty much what I would have done.

Freaks and perverts have killed chivalry.

• Clam
    Clam

Dave

I reckon you did the right thing. If you could see she had a cell phone then she must've been sorting things out herself. Mrs Clam broke down about 6 months back and like Megs said, she didn't appreciate guys stopping one bit! She was a bit scared too.

That's the kind of world we live in I'm afraid. Hopefully it'll be better in paradise earth.

• anewme
    anewme

On second thought, maybe you should drive back and see if she is ok.

Moral: Sometimes we have an opportunity to help but we let the moment pass by.
    To try and go back and regain the lost moment sometimes turns out to be....yucky.

• undercover
    undercover

Sometimes we overthink things...because we're worried that we might come across wrong or that we might not be the right person for the job. (as in she needed a tow out of the ditch, but maybe we're driving a sub-compact...what can we do?)

I have been in this situation. A woman's car was stuck in the ditch during a snow storm. I was in a four wheel drive vehicle, though it wasn't big enough to pull her car out of the ditch. I offered to help, but she said her husband was on the way and she was fine. I offered to let her get warm in my truck, but I could tell she was a little reluctant and she declined. I didn't push the matter. I offered, she refused, I moved on...but I know I did the right thing.

• garybuss
    garybuss

I'm not a mind reader. I only stop for roadside people if either 1) they are down or 2) if they flag me down.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Just call the cops and tell them that there's a woman stuck at such and such. . .that's what I always do. I just dial 911. Tell them you'd appreciate if they'd check on her.

• greendawn
    greendawn

If she really needed help she would have made it known. I suppose you could have just made sure about it by asking but perhaps you thought she would have been frightened by seeing you getting off to ask.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I think rolling down the window to ask if she needed help, or simply calling 911 and reporting a stranded motorist like MsMcDucket said, would be the best thing. If I was stranded alone in my car (with a cell phone) it would scare me to have a man I didn't know stop.

Sad but true... the world is a mess... The end must be just around the corner...

GGG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit