What would you have done? (saw a stranded motorist)

by AlmostAtheist 25 Replies latest jw friends

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

Seeing that she had her cell phone I think you are in the clear. Eye contact was made, if she really needed you to stop, she would have made it known.

Two summers ago my car died out in booniesville - I was in the middle of nowhere (Mennonite country). I walked to the nearest house, but no one was home (reminded me of my JW days! LOL).

I didn't have my cell phone (had lent it to my mother). I just had to wait until someone came along. Two men delivering flyers came along. I stopped and talked to them. They said there was a garage up the road aways (to far to walk). I asked if they would stop there and send a tow truck for me. They didn't think the truck would come out on just their say so, but they would drop me off at the garage. I didn't really want to get in the van, but there was nobody around, and very little traffic (horse and buggy is more like it in that area). I got in (I know, believe me I thought of all the things that could have happened). They drove me to the garage.

Guess what - a JW owned the garage! They went out and picked up my car, while I'm frantically trying to call my hubby. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with it, and I had to be somewhere, and the garage owner was going to lend me a car - but first he had to make sure I was a JW (I had been inactive for several years by now, but we knew some of the same people so I was able to bluff my way through). Just as I was getting ready to leave hubby called, he knew what was wrong, told the owner - he fixed my car, checked my tires and only charged me for the tow.

Being a woman alone, it can be scary - you don't know who to trust, but sometimes you just have to have faith that there are good people out there.

BB

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

You did okay. It gets difficult nowadays to know when to try to assist - and when not to. The 'personal safety' issue goes both ways, ya know.

I think I may have offered a 'thumbs up' - in a sort of 'question' way, to her, to see if she responded with a 'wave off, I'm okay' reply.

Just recently, my wife and I were in a Wal Mart parking lot, and I noticed a lady - who was loading her three kiddos into the 'soccer van' which had a flat on one tire. I mentioned it to my wife, who called the ladies' attention to it. Turns out, she wasn't aware of her flat tire.

We stuck around and helped her by changing it - while she, tried to get her husband (in the military) on the phone. She never did... we got the 'donut' on the car, and told her to be careful driving on it - and to get it changed as soon as possible. She said she would, and we parted ways.

Sometimes... help is appreciated...

Regards,

Jim TX

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I slowed down and looked at her, and she looked back at me

I think she was looking at your car more than at you, thinking "that is the crappiest looking car I've seen outside of junkards and demolition derbys"

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>>I think she was looking at your car more than at you, thinking "that is the crappiest looking car I've seen outside of junkards and demolition derbys"

She's probably on some forum right now talking about this "creepy" guy that "leered" at her, and how she was scared to DEATH he was going to stop. "And his CAR! OMG! It's worse than piece o' sh*t DanTheMan drives!"

I don't know how she knew Dan... I guess Dan must know ALL the hot women. ;-)

Dave

• Xena
    Xena
    She's probably on some forum right now talking about this "creepy" guy that "leered" at her, and how she was scared to DEATH he was going to stop. "And his CAR! OMG! It's worse than piece o' sh*t DanTheMan drives!"

ROFL I can actually see that happening, cept for the car part cause I don't know what your car looks like.

I agree with the general consensus that you handled it well.

• quixote
    quixote

She's probably on some forum right now talking about this "creepy" guy that "leered" at her, and how she was scared to DEATH he was going to stop. "And his CAR! OMG! It's worse than piece o' sh*t DanTheMan drives!" LMAO

Tough call on this one. I'm sure you did what you thought was right. No doubt if she was in distress she would have waived you down.

Q.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit