What would you have done? (saw a stranded motorist)

by AlmostAtheist 25 Replies latest jw friends

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Guys,

I'm working from home today because of the snow. But for a very good unexpected reason, I had to venture out for a few minutes. On my way back home, I saw a car off the road. There was a single occupant of the car, a woman. (Quite hot, but that's probably not germane. Moving on...)

So she's off the road, very near a church. At an intersection. And she's on a cell phone, presumably calling for assistance. I slowed down and looked at her, and she looked back at me. She didn't give any indication that she wanted me to stop, and given the weather, I wasn't too keen on stopping anyway. I figured that she's got her car, and while I didn't notice one way or the other, I had every reason to believe it was still running. Thus she was warm. She had a phone. She didn't appear to be in distress. There was nowhere to pull over, so if I'd stopped, it would've been right there on the road.

I decided to drive on by. I did glance back once and still no indication from her that she wanted help.

I felt that I ought to offer assistance, but beyond inviting her to my house -- an offer she'd be an idiot to accept -- there wasn't much I could've done. (There's no businesses between that intersection and my house, so dropping her off at some public place wasn't an option either)

Did I do the right thing? Or should I have done something?

Your thoughts?

Dave

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Want to go back and check?

Do report back.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

Tough call...........I probably would have rolled down my window and asked If she needed help.

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I think you did the right thing - she had the opportunity to hail you if she wanted help. Since she had a phone with her, she wasn't relying on someone to get help for her if she needed it. And she may not have appreciated being approached by a stranger. For that matter, she may have just stopped to take a call!

• Dismembered
    Dismembered

Greetings AA,

I probably would have rolled down my window and asked If she needed help. Said Buttlight

My sentiments exactly.

Dismembered

• dedpoet
    dedpoet

I think you did the right thing Dave, it's what I'd have done. She was showing no obvious signs of distress, and the fact that you slowed down, giving her the chance to ask for help, which she didn't do, indicates that she was ok.

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I think you're ok. She had a cell which she was talking on perhaps to a tow or some other assistance. I was watching the news last night before the snow storm hit us and they suggested carrying in the car a cell phone, warm clothes, a flashlight, and food. She had a cell so she was prepared. Ya did fine.

Josie ~ ya it's still snowing here

• megsmomma
    megsmomma

I think the sign of needing help is putting a white "something" in your window. When I blew a tire on one very hot Texas day, I called my husband on my cell and while he was on his way, a male motorist stopped....and it scared me more than anything.

• Gregor
    Gregor

Stop, pull your ski mask down over your face and start walking toward her, I'm sure she would feel relieved that someone had stopped to help.

• anewme
    anewme

Where I live in the mountains cell phones dont work. But I've heard some of the newest cells can work up here.

I think you made the right call Dave. Your intuitive radar checked it out and told you she was not needing your assistance.

She had her cell phone and was on it and she made no attempt to flag you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit