Brooklyn Bethel to be sold. Has anyone else heard this?

by nicolaou 24 Replies latest social current

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

With all due respect until I hear otherwise this is still speculation. But in conversation with many diehard loyalists, many have said "It would not suprise me if the Society move out of Brooklyn altogether in the future - it would be safer for Bethelites not having to travel the subway to their congregations late at night, it would free up money to be spent on the worldwide work, and it is much nicer in upstate New York" -also I have heard the same about New York City just being too much of a juicy target for terrorists. In additioon there is still easy access to airports etc from upstate.

Bottom line , I have not heard the rumor but I do not think anyone (brothers and sisters included) who would be suprised by this move

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This would be a good time to move everything. They could just post a few articles
    about how we totally trust Jah, but that doesn't mean you can leave or put yourself
    in harm's way. It would be easy to spin. This could be a major step that most
    JW's would have no big problem with. They could arrange a daily bus to and from
    NYC and "suggest" that everybody uses that bus for a standard donation, and parks in
    their NYC lot for a standard donation whenever they visit HQ.

One step closer to forming a compound with the remaining JW's.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

For as much as I would LOVE to see that happen, I think that its rumor. Brought on by the sale of individual properties by WT.

tsof

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

they wouldnt ever sell all that primo real estate! lease it to scientologists or mormons maybe.

• Mary
    Mary
    I just heard that Brooklyn HQ is to be sold over concerns for safety following the 9/11 attacks. The news has come to me through an incredibly loyal JW sister. I know her, she wouldn't repeat anything like this if she hadn't heard it from the Kingdom Hall or a Circuit Overseer.

Ya, but CO's are probably the ones that start all the Urban legends inside the Borg anyway........I haven't heard anything like this but it is a possibility. Can you imagine how much the property and buildings they own along the East River would be worth? And it really doesn't matter where they print the literature---it gets out just the same to all the congregations. Maybe they figure they'll close up shop, move everything to a rural place and sell Brooklyn Bethel. If they're worried about lawsuits over the pedophilia problem, then maybe they don't want to be seen as having too many assets. If they sold the buildings, they could just take all that cash and hide in some offshore accounts somewhere.......I believe it's called "Theocratic Warfare."

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

they could just take all that cash and hide in some offshore accounts somewhere.......I believe it's called "Theocratic Warfare."

London has very generous tax laws to charities - they could move the money there

• IsaacJS2
    IsaacJS2

WHY? Doesn't Jehovah protect them from any harm that might come from a terrorist threat?

Shouldn't the WTS rely on and put their trust in their God? OR did Jehovah reveal to them a message to sell sell sell all property in Brooklyn?

Don't know if this has changed, but back in the day, the Society and our CO would tell us stories of angelic protection during field service from one side of their mouth while reminding us that Jehovah doesn't offer us any special protection from the other. We were even discouraged from spreading stories like that by our CO, despite the fact that the lesson that week included references to angels in the Nazi concentration camps. To counter this, he told of a story where a Witness Elder was literally blown up from the podium during a meeting in another country.

None of the Witnesses will look askance at any terrorist concerns. They'll favor whichever story maintains their beliefs under the circumstances. That's part of their delusion.

IsaacJ

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    I know her, she wouldn't repeat anything like this if she hadn't heard it from the Kingdom Hall or a Circuit Overseer.

Good point on that by Mary.

Also, what if the Borg starts rumors thru the CO's to see what the reaction would be IF they were true?

If they're worried about lawsuits over the pedophilia problem, then maybe they don't want to be seen
    as having too many assets. If they sold the buildings, they could just take all that cash and hide in some
    offshore accounts somewhere.

They could send the money overseas now, say it's being used for KH builds, expansion of foreign presses.
    This way, they have no properties to sell later, when the lawsuits arrive at the "pay-up" point.
    I am not a lawyer, but I think that if you tie up all your assets elsewhere, you can say, "we can't pay the
    penalty, we have nothing."

• Tristram
    Tristram
    But in conmany diehard loyalists, many have said "It would not suprise me if the Society move out of Brooklyn altogether in the future - it would be safer for Bethelites not having to travel the subway to their congregations late at night, it would free up money to be spent on the worldwide work, and it is much nicer in upstate New York."

Boy, that's gonna make all the faithful JW's stuck in NYC feel real good. "Sorry, suckas! We're outta here!"

• Rooster
    Rooster

They should move to France..

You have already started 1 topic(s) in the last 1 day(s) out of your limit of 1.
    You cannot start another for 10 hour(s) 30 min(s) when your oldest topic expires.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit