POLL: Occupations

by Angst 46 Replies latest jw friends

• toddy
    toddy

Billygoat,I think you should let us be the judge of that!

• Commie Chris
    Commie Chris

I was (and still am) a lawyer. I am not an elitist and I have never felt that there is any correlation between intelligence and one's level of education. I have never presumed myself to be smarter than anyone else. Nevertheless, I was regarded with great suspicion and a certain amount of fear by the brothers, especially the elders. This was unfortunate because I genuinely liked some of the brothers and have known many janitors who are more intelligent than many lawyers. Sadly, however, it was also clear that the brains of many once intelligent folks had atrophied from lack of use. The worst part of the WT's anti-intellectualism is not the fact that few JWs achieve higher education (it is not necessary to attend college or university to be educated), but the fact that so many deprive themselves of opportunities to learn independently.

• Patriot
    Patriot

"The worst part of the WT's anti-intellectualism is not the fact that few JWs achieve higher education (it is not necessary to attend college or university to be educated), but the fact that so many deprive themselves of opportunities to learn independently."

You're so right Chris, you're so right..

• RedhorseWoman
    RedhorseWoman

I started out, appropriately enough, as a secretary. However, I am now a mainframe computer systems analyst and programmer.

• TR
    TR

Like Joel, I was in banking until '87. Then I trained in the field I've been in for the last 14 years. I started my business in '92, and still going strong. I'm a Certified Master Locksmith. I do work for the police department as well as the real estate community where I live.

TR

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    —Edmund Burke

• Gopher
    Gopher

Immediately after high school, I (and a JW friend) attended a technical school for 6 months, and embarked on full-time computer programming careers. (Thank goodness, my dad told me to go on and get a trade... that was counter to the typical advice to pioneer first, and fit in everything else around it, immediately after high school.)

My friend went on to pioneer, become a presiding overseer (all while working part-time) and is now a circuit overseer in Idaho.

Now that I'm no longer a JW, I continue on as a computer programmer. (Spending time on this board doesn't count as a part-time occupation????)

GopherWhy shouldn't truth be stranger than fiction? Fiction, after all, has to make sense.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• Englishman
    Englishman

Education cut at age 15. Worked for bro in factory. Became lorry driver at 18. Salesman at 22. Worked on up through branch, area, regional management. At age 44 told 'em to stuff it and went self-employed into PVCu windows and fascias. Still running up and down ladders 250 times a day, I work from 9 till 3, 4 days a week. Luvverly!

Englishman.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be....

• roybatty
    roybatty

I work as a mechanical engineer, though not degreed. Years ago I was attending a great mid-west college, until I gave into the pressure to quit college and pioneer. Dam what a waste when I think about it.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

I worked different jobs. My first job was as a certified nursing assistant. Then I got into dry cleaning. The pay there isn't to bad if you are the one working with the chemicals, which I did at times.

Now, after leaving the jws, I own a cleaning service. That pays really well. I do all the work myself, but will soon need to hire help since the business is growning. So, if you know anyone who is looking for a good cleaning service and lives in the Raleigh/Cary area in NC. Send them to www.shariscleaning.com he he he

Lilacs

• BlackMan4Life
    BlackMan4Life

Went to business/computer school after HS (no college, it was a No-No). My sister got me an office job in a law firm. Been working in law firms since I got out of high school. Paralegal for the pass 12 years.

Peace - Larry :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit