My reinstatment letter

by nonamegiven 36 Replies latest jw experiences

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

For those that don't know, here's the Cliffs Notes version.

I've been DF'd for 5 months now for giving in to an addiction I have. I want to be reinstated so I can gian my family and a few close friends back in my life then I will fade like a bad dye job. Here's the reinstatment letter I have thus far I am open to any input at all.

Dear Holier-Than-Thou Brothers,

I am writing this letter to request reinstatement. While this time of discipline has been hard for myself as well as my family, it has proven Hebrews 12:11 true to me. In the last number of months I have had much work to do. Despite increasing work loads and family commitments, it is clear to myself and my family that I have made great strides. I have found a new level of respect for Jehovah and his laws. I find myself praying to him not only more often now, but much more heartfelt than I knew was even possible a year or so ago. I study for more meetings now than I have for quite a few years and while I would rather not travel for work, I am happy to attend meetings while on the road or get in on the “phone hook-up” when I can’t attend. If I were asked what has helped me to achieve these goals (and others) I would have a complex answer. I first had to fully realize that as Hebrews 12:6 says, Jehovah disciplines those who he loves. This was a major help and comfort for me. I had to follow the admonition at Col. 3:5 and deaden my body members.
    I prayed to Jehovah for help beating this problem of mine for years to no avail. I thought I didn’t deserve his help or holy spirit and allowed myself to slip further into my addiction. It was only a year or so ago that I realized I couldn’t wait to feel Jehovah’s help first, THEN put forth the effort to help myself. I had to pour myself into recovery first, only then was I able to feel the wave of holy spirit in my life. As I did that, I soon noticed my life changing for the better. I prayed, and still pray to Jehovah continually and I feel from my heart that I have been forgiven by Jehovah. Feeling him in my life and feeling him help heal me is evidence of his great love and mercy.
    Through prayer and counseling, I am able to keep making strides. I also keep Col. 3:7 in mind, “In those very things you, to, once walked when you used to live in them”. I can finally say I “once walked” like that. You can have no idea what that feels like. After a lifetime of failing to control oneself, after failed attempts to stop doing something you don’t even WANT to do, after a lifetime of this to finally be able to say that I am living as Jah commanded is a blessing I didn’t know was possible. Only with Jehovah’s help and an intense amount of work have I been able to stop my addictive behavior. As I stated to you brothers some months ago, I never wanted to do the things I have done. I have been in counseling for some time now because I recognized the fact that I was indeed powerless to my addiction. I deeply regret what I have done to myself, to my family, to Jehovah and his congregation. I don’t know if I can ever remove the reproach I have brought on him and his congregation and I feel great sorrow for this.
    With this changed attitude I began to truly change my life in more ways than one. So now I can confidently ask to be reinstated into the Christian congregation so I can experience Jehovah’s love and forgiveness openly with my brothers and sisters.

• unique1
    unique1

You may want to take out the holier than thou part, it makes you sound unrepentant and may cloud the entire letter which sounds good in and of itself.

• Mary
    Mary

I will assume you plan on taking out the "holier than thou brothers" part.....that ain't gonna go over too well with them. I'd also re-thing this part:

It was only a year or so ago that I realized I couldn’t wait to feel Jehovah’s help first, THEN put forth the effort to help myself. I had to pour myself into recovery first, only then was I able to feel the wave of holy spirit in my life.

The first part could sound as though you thought Jehovah was dragging His feet, so I'd re-word that, and I wouldn't mention feeling any "wave of Holy Spirit" because they don't really like to think that the HS operates on individual members of the Great Crowd, or if it does, it's only minimal (someone correct me if I'm wrong on this point). That "priviledge" is reserved for the HS working on the congregation, the 'annointed' and the Slobbering Body Members down at headquarters.

Other than that, it sounds fine. Good luck!

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

"It was only a year or so ago that I realized I couldn’t wait to feel Jehovah’s help first , THEN put forth the effort to help myself. I had to pour myself into recovery first, only then was I able to feel the wave of holy spirit in my life ."

Mary's right, I'd metion instead how, "a year ago I realized it was up to me to make the first move, I couldn't expect Jehovah to help me if I didn't make the effort".

I had to pour myself into recovery first, "only then was I able to feel the peace that comes from pleasing Jehovah."

Although, if your addiction is alcohol you might not "POUR" yourself into recovery. LOL

W.Once

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Thank you both for your input. Yes the holier-than-thou part will be removed but it sure felt good to type that haha.

I like your suggestions very much. I think you both knew exactly what I meant but are 100% right that it could be mis-interpreted (immagine a JW misinterpreting something). I'll reword that part for sure.

Any others?

• *jeremiah*
    *jeremiah*

Just curious,....how much of your letter do you actually believe?

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Once I was talking to an Elder that told me reinstatement according to the WTS rules should be at least one year from the disfellowshipping (he based this on something in the Elders book i think). If that is true you may have some time ahead of you.

I've never had to go through this, but from what I have noticed on the board many have had success in simply going very humble. Remember they are not after your heart, they are after your loyalty. Don't forget this.

What is the only question JWs grind into you when you question them (as a fellow dub)? Who really is the faithful and discreet slave?

Let them feel they have the authority, let them feel that you want to be under their authority. They don't want to to be spiritualy growing during this peroid, they just want you to know that they are the Boss and that you will think twice before you cross their paths again. Give them what they really want, another fearful droid follower.

• lovelylil
    lovelylil

If you want the letter to help you get reinstated, you have to sound as repentent and humble as possible. The elders love to feel superior to everyone else, so you may want to somehow "stroke" their ego too. Tell them something like: I will leave the decision in your hands knowing Jehovah will guide you brothers with his spirit, to make the right decision. (yuck, I can't believe I am saying this).

Just trying to help. I understand that the decision to go back is a very complex and personal one, so I will never judge anyone on it. I wish you the very best. Hope things work out well for you. Peace, Lilly

• nonamegiven
    nonamegiven

Jeremiah asked: "Just curious,....how much of your letter do you actually believe?"

Here's the parts of the letter that I believe.

"Dear Holier-Than-Thou Brothers,"

"I am writing this letter to request reinstatement."

"I find myself praying to him not only more often now, but much more heartfelt than I knew was even possible a year or so ago."

This is actually true, but only bBecause I know the truth about the truth now.

"I feel from my heart that I have been forgiven by Jehovah."

The rest of it was just ego stroking and me gagging out the best drivel I could think of.

• PEC
    PEC

I lost my breakfast, lunch and dinner from that one.

Kiss that a$$ until your forehead is brown. Best of luck with your quest.

Philip

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit