ex JW atheists

by Bobhere 39 Replies latest jw friends

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I know!

• PEC
    PEC

Mackin,

You were in the majority. From what I saw of the jws about 70% didn't act like they believed what the WT taught.

Philip

• JamesThomas
    JamesThomas
    james thomas - if you weren't already married I'd be proposin' right now!

I'm not.

j

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

I'm not.

j

Does your wife know?

And to who it was that said "if god wants to fry me cajun style for all eternity because I disagree with his morals then that pretty much validates my opinion" - those are my sentiments exactly.

Its so nice to be among fellow atheists!

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Since my "moment of awakening" I have never had a moment's doubt that the teachings of the WTS are total B/S ...but I still believe in God,

Why? because, as I reason, all the Creationist or "intelligent design" arguments make more sense to me than those in favour of spontaneous life generation. I admit that my 'studies' have been no more than reading pages on the net - but when I see the wonderful world around us I have to give credit to a maker . I cannot accept that natural selection alone could be responsible for all that we have.

I came to reject the WTS , not only because of knowledge, much of that came later . I rejected it because my gut reaction to the teachings and logical reasoning told me that it was "Just not right" that God would slaughter a whole world of people in the way they teach. Similarly I have a logical ( I believe) reaction to the existence of a Creator.

God has never been close to me in my life, so I don't expect him to safeguard me from harm , why should he? Stuff happens in this world..but I cannot get my head away from the conviction that he is there..

BTW .. Nice to see you "in the flesh"..Seattleniceguy

• kid-A
    kid-A

"Well the answer to this is simple. When one joins the JW's they are taught to reject all other religions, and all other gods." Perhaps, but the fact is many ex-JWs become hyper-religious after leaving the JWs so that cant really be an explanation. "Once a JW decides to leave, then there really isnt any other belief system left that works for them, they are left godless." >I think the term is "God-Free"...lol.....Hmmm, as an atheist and a scientist, I would say I have very distinct and well-defined belief system, I simply have no supernatural creatures within my belief system. "Not all is lost as some XJW's will still seek out God in various ways." >Strange you consider this a positive thing. I think most atheist-agnostic ex-JWs here would call it "jumping from the frying pan and into the frier..."....or less eloquently, discovering another pile of the same shi*t? In reality, the exact same philosophical contradictions and logical inconsistencies exist in ALL forms of religious belief, JW or otherwise, its all just a "variation on a theme"......atheist ex-JWs have decided to burn the song-book, not just turn the page to another hymn...... "I imagine alot of the atheists/agnostics have been hurt so bad by their experience that it makes them doubt that a God of love exists." > I imagine that most of the religious ex-JWs chose to sustain their belief in the supernatural precisely because they were screwed over by the WTS and require the psychological anesthesia that belief in god provides in order to maintain their sense of security within the universe.

• Lady Liberty
    Lady Liberty

Dear Bobhere,

WELCOME to the forum!!

Good question. Personally I still believe in Jehovah and Jesus. I think many throw the baby out with the bath water. Feeling you cannot believe in creation, and explain things like fossils etc. But I believe you can. However I have learned not to judge others. I am sure many will come back around in time. And some won't. But I respect that we can all be here and respect each others feelings.

Sincerely,

Lady Liberty

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

Mackin,

I read your remarks with keen interest - namely about why you remained with the JWs.
    Many times I have wondered if the elders (even the members of the Governing Body)necessarily believe everything that they are saying.
    You have answered that one for us - and I thank you!

Also, for a long time after breaking with the JWs, I had intense feelings of
    self-loathing - that I had fell for the lie for so long.
    Your account gives some understanding of why people may stick with this cluster###k
    (expletive deleted!) even after seeing through it for the charade that it is.
    (For the Record:
    I finally gave it away when I got to the point of not being able to carry on with the charade anymore -unfortunately, it cost me my family).

As for athieism:
    - I am not much into labels, and I keep an open mind on this matter.
    However, in the 12 years since I told the WTS what to do with their idea of "The Truth", I have not seen anything to convince me that "god" is not some man-made idea, cooked up to control others.

However, I have experienced certain events that are not possible to explain by science (rational thought?).

For example:

In mid-2003, when I was managing a power supply system in Papua New Guinea, I returned to my office one afternoon to discover that my key-ring was missing.
    Consequently, I re-traced my moves of earlier that afternoon; starting with the hydro-electric plant at the lower end of the valley.

When I failed to locate the missing keys at that location,I set out up the vehicle track to the station at the top end of the valley.
    As I left, the staff at the Lower Power Station notified the Upper Station by radio-telephone that "The Boss' was on his way up to them ; looking for a set of missing keys.

On arrival at the Upper Power Station, I went frantically searching the building for where I might have misplaced the keys.
    Meanwhile, the security guard went straight to my Toyota Hilux Double Cab truck, opened the rear door, and found the missing key ring lodged tightly up under the corner of the rear seat.
    (Evidently, these had been shaken loose from the clip on my belt, and then further shaken backwards by the jolting of the vehicle as I progressed uphill - along a rough track that would almost shake the fillings loose from your teeth!)

Interestingly, when I questioned the security guard about how he found the missing key ring, he told me that " as soon as he heard the radio call, he knew that this key ring as lodged up under the right hand corner of the rear seat".

I am always open to suggestions
    - BUT : how can that be explained by anything other than the paranormal?

My thoughts anyway (from a raggedy-arsed electrician)

Jack.

• Stealth453
    Stealth453

In my opinion, god/devil, good/evil, "black/white", were all created by organized religion, as a means with which to control the masses.

Without a form of absolute control, how could they wield unquestioned control over people, and in the process, become insanly rich.

The most brilliant plan ever devised...a prison without walls. A prison that actually looks inviting. A prison that people flock to.

However..a prison, non the less.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Oh and of course! ex-JW atheists are waaay sexier than their theist counterparts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit